Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ripped off

Почётный участник
    hmm...interesting...i'd use "rip off" in a situation like this:

I went to buy a car from Town and Country Ford, but they tried to rip me off, so I went to the other dealership across the street where the price for the same car was a few thousand dollars cheaper...
    http://quickandsimplerussian.blog-city.com/
    I'm engaged to the most wonderful girl in the world, my Lana!!!

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcinprc
    hmm...interesting...i'd use "rip off" in a situation like this:

I went to buy a car from Town and Country Ford, but they tried to rip me off, so I went to the other dealership across the street where the price for the same car was a few thousand dollars cheaper...
    exactly. I paid 10 bucks for this used book. other person, you got ripped or you got ripped off. (because the price should have been lower)

So how would that translate

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by saibot
    Well where I live (in Minnesota), its quite accepted to use "ripped off" anywhere you can use "stolen". I hear it all the time.
    Odd... I lived in Iowa my whole life, and I never heard anyone use "ripped off" for "stolen", only if you were cheated.

But, I can see why it would be used like that, and agree that it is the same as "pop" or "soda" or (in the South), "Coke"... I had to switch from saying "pop" to saying "soda" when I moved to California, everyone made fun of me!!!!
    -Fantom
    "Alright, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, so let's just figure this out and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

Старший оракул
    Ewww...Iowa. No offense, but that seriously is THE most boring state in the union.

Почтенный гражданин
    What about Kansas?
    Even Dorothy said at one point: "Toto, I keep forgetting, we're not in Kansas anymore!"

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by saibot
    Ewww...Iowa. No offense, but that seriously is THE most boring state in the union.
    Why do you think I live in California now?!?!

Actually, it's not too boring if you're bouncing in a bar where people fight, get stabbed, and even bring guns sometimes... Good tips, though, when you're bartending!

-Fantom
    "Alright, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, so let's just figure this out and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12