Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: The neverending question of "ли"or "если"...

  1. #1
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    90
    Rep Power
    7

    The neverending question of "ли"or "если"...

    Help, please? I'm trying to write an email to ask permission to make some photocopies, and the most crucial sentence is giving me trouble. I originally wrote the first sentence below, but the more I thought about it I decided on the second. Now I'm just confused. Which should it be? (Or something else entirely?)

    Мне бы хотелось знать, если Вы разрешите мне ксерокопировать это дело?
    Мне бы хотелось знать, разрешите ли Вы мне ксерокопировать это дело?
    Пожалуйста, исправляйте мои ошибки.

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mowcow, Russia
    Posts
    1,957
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: The neverending question of "ли"or "если"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Мне бы хотелось знать, если Вы разрешите мне ксерокопировать это дело?
    This one is incorrect

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Мне бы хотелось знать, разрешите ли Вы мне ксерокопировать это дело?
    Perfect!

  3. #3
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    90
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: The neverending question of "ли"or "если"...

    Quote Originally Posted by translationsnmru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Мне бы хотелось знать, разрешите ли Вы мне ксерокопировать это дело?
    Perfect!
    Great, thank you!
    Пожалуйста, исправляйте мои ошибки.

  4. #4
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    90
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: The neverending question of "ли"or "если"...

    Hm, may I extend my original request? A couple more questions have come up:

    По этом причине, я бы хотела использовать немного дел из этого фонда. Остаётся мне только три дела, два из них мне просто нужно будет их просмотреть. Одно дело будет необходимое мне справляться несколько раз, когда я подготовляю издание. Мне бы хотелось знать, разрешите ли Вы мне ксерокопировать это дело?

    I'm unsure about the bold words. Is "их" necessary in the second sentence? And is "справляться" the correct word choice for "consult" a document?

    Any other mistakes? Is the tone polite enough? (So much to think about! )

    Thanks for any help!
    Пожалуйста, исправляйте мои ошибки.

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай it-ogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,049
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: The neverending question of "ли"or "если"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Hm, may I extend my original request? A couple more questions have come up:

    По этом причине, я бы хотела использовать немного дел из этого фонда. Остаётся мне только три дела, два из них мне просто нужно будет их просмотреть. Одно дело будет необходимое мне справляться несколько раз, когда я подготовляю издание. Мне бы хотелось знать, разрешите ли Вы мне ксерокопировать это дело?

    I'm unsure about the bold words. Is "их" necessary in the second sentence? And is "справляться" the correct word choice for "consult" a document?

    Any other mistakes? Is the tone polite enough? (So much to think about! )

    Thanks for any help!
    I'd write it in the following way:

    По этой причине мне хотелось бы использовать некоторые дела из этого (Вашего?) фонда. Всего нужно три дела, из которых с двумя мне достаточно ознакомиться один раз, а еще в одном потребуется наводить справки регулярно по мере подготовки издания. Хотелось бы знать, разрешите ли Вы мне отксерокопировать это дело?
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

  6. #6
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    90
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: The neverending question of "ли"or "если"...

    Quote Originally Posted by it-ogo
    I'd write it in the following way:

    По этой причине мне хотелось бы использовать некоторые дела из этого (Вашего?) фонда. Всего нужно три дела, из которых с двумя мне достаточно ознакомиться один раз, а еще в одном потребуется наводить справки регулярно по мере подготовки издания. Хотелось бы знать, разрешите ли Вы мне отксерокопировать это дело?
    Thank you, it-ogo! This is extremely helpful. I caught a few errors after I posted (i.e. этом for этой) but it's always better to see how a native would say it.

    So наводить справки is better than справляться? Would you ever use справляться to talk about consulting documents/researching with books?

    Thanks again!
    Пожалуйста, исправляйте мои ошибки.

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай it-ogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,049
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: The neverending question of "ли"or "если"...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    So наводить справки is better than справляться? Would you ever use справляться to talk about consulting documents/researching with books?
    Yes, word справляться has that meaning but it is somehow obsolete and marginal and may be confusing. And it is mainly used along with preposition "о": справляться о ком-либо/чем-либо = to inquire about smb/smth. The main meaning of the word "справляться" is "to manage", "to master".
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: March 24th, 2010, 04:03 PM
  2. How to say "Bless our home" and "Happy Holidays" in Russian?
    By Ruby Daniels in forum How do you Say... in Russian?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 19th, 2009, 03:29 PM
  3. Very basic and perhaps stupid question "Net" and "ne"
    By slylie in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 12th, 2009, 11:00 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 17th, 2009, 08:07 PM
  5. "Даже если ты уйдешь"
    By sperk in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: September 20th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary