Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Negated reflexive verbs

Почтенный гражданин

Re: Negated reflexive verbs

What I'm trying to understand is when should the logical subject of a negated reflexive verb be put in the genitive case. Problem is, I have yet to find other examples of this with other verbs.
    With покупаться and other examples, negation of the verb means the action described does not take place but the subject still "exist" somewhere, whereas with предвидеться the negation implies that indeed there won't be precipitations: осадков не будет. Am I right?

Подающий надежды оратор

Quote Originally Posted by Zubr
    What I'm trying to understand is when should the logical subject of a negated reflexive verb be put in the genitive case. Problem is, I have yet to find other examples of this with other verbs.
    With покупаться and other examples, negation of the verb means the action described does not take place but the subject still "exist" somewhere, whereas with предвидеться the negation implies that indeed there won't be precipitations: осадков не будет. Am I right?
    I missed your main question.
    I don't think the case depends on the situation is real or not (or the subject exists/does not exist in spite of described action).

When I say не покупается the question is who?/what? (кто?/что?) - nominative case.
    Whereas I say не предвидится the question is what? (чего?) - genitive case.

I think you should put the appropriate question to the subject.

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by greegorush
    I missed your main question.
    Yes, I have a bad habit of putting my question in the title field and not recalling it in the message's body. Sorry about this. I also have a bad habit of coining nonsensical example phrases, which never fail to obfuscate the question. Sorry again.
    I suspect, though, that if I had asked directly "When should the logical subject of a negated reflexive verb be put in the genitive case" I would have been answered something on the line of "If the question is кто-что не [глагол] then use the nominative case; if the question is кого-чего не [глагол] then use the genitive". Certainly this makes perfect sense for someone who already speaks Russian, because for a native speaker grammar is about sounding right or wrong, whereas for a learner it is about rules (at least in the beginning).

lae
    Почётный участник

Оля, СПАСИБО! Прошу прощения у всех, кто читал мой пост. Глупо вышло...

Я перепутала общее и узкое представление о переходных глаголах:
    Quote Originally Posted by [url
    http://feb-web.ru/feb/slt/abc/lt1/lt1-5701.htm[/url]]ПЕРЕХОДНЫЕ ГЛАГОЛЫ.
    1. В широком смысле — такие глаголы, которые обозначают действие субъекта, переходящее или распространяющееся на другой предмет, являющийся объектом (см.) действия и выраженный косвенным падежом существительного, без предлога или с предлогом: читать книгу, бояться собак, заниматься делом, играть в карты, смотреть на сцену, думать о родных и пр.
    2. В тесном смысле или собственно П. Г. — глаголы, вступающие в сочетание с винительным падежом существительного без предлога: строить избу, рассказывать сказку и пр.
    Осталось разобраться с употреблением и НЕ употреблением конкретных падежей с возвратными глаголами:
    Яндекс-поиск: "осадки не предвидятся"
    Яндекс-поиск: "осадков не предвидится"

Вот бы запретить использовать родительный падеж с возвратными глаголами — и могли бы жить.

Ещё раз прошу прощения!
    Please correct any mistake you see in my message. Thank you in advance!
    Очень прошу исправлять любые мои ошибки (и на русском тоже). Заранее спасибо!

Подающий надежды оратор

Certainly this makes perfect sense for someone who already speaks Russian, because for a native speaker grammar is about sounding right or wrong, whereas for a learner it is about rules (at least in the beginning).
    It is my turn to apologize now . Being the learner of English I should have understood that. Sorry.
    And I have to admit that there is no way I can explain this. Sorry.
    I hope someone will find the answer to that point.

Почтенный гражданин

It is my turn to apologize now .
    No harm done.

So I've tried googling with another verb, carrying a similar meaning (though less "bookish"): чуяться. I found that in some cases the same phenomenon occured:

В дом родной, где легко и тепло,
    Где не чуется духа врага,
    Где вам всем до беды далеко,
    Где природа родная близка.

(Schoolgirl verses)

Если ветра не чуется, послюньте палец

Не чуется мужского духа!

Genitive, genitive, genitive!

There were also many occurences of negated verb with a nominative subject. Would you say that
    Не чуется мужского духа! implies there are no men around, hence you can't feel them
    Не чуется мужский дух! (assuming this can be said) doesn't imply there are none of them, for example they could be hidden or something.

Подающий надежды оратор

Hello! (Привет!)

Не чуется мужской дух! (Дух какой - мужской; sorry can't explain without using the questions ) Your interpretation is wrong. It means the same as the statement below just in nominative case and I don't know is it appropriate to use or not...I never use such kind of statements. I'd rather said that in a more simple manner.

Не чуется мужского духа! (Духа какого - мужского) This statement is good (in genitive case).

Подающий надежды оратор

By the way, returning to you first statement. I've been thinking about that for a while. Your question was: When should the logical subject of a negated reflexive verb be put in the genitive case?

So you could put the subject in both the nominative case and the genitive (changing the endigs).

Люди не продаются, а нанимаютя (nominative case).
    Людей не продают, а нанимают (genative case).

Осадков не предвидится.
    Осадки не предвидятся.

Старший оракул

(Дух какой - мужской; sorry can't explain without using the questions )
    Questions like this don't explain anything. They just help us, natives, to find out which case we have used. Nothing else. They cannot help to determine what case you have to use if you don't know that.
    Налево пойдёшь - коня потеряешь, направо пойдёшь - сам голову сложишь.
    Прямой путь не предлагать!

SAn

Quote Originally Posted by Полуношник
    Questions like this don't explain anything. They just help us, natives, to find out which case we have used. Nothing else. They cannot help to determine what case you have to use if you don't know that.
    Абсолютно согласен. Хотя, с другой стороны, изучающие русский язык могут просто запомнить задаваемый вопрос для каждого конкретного глагола. Ведь некоторые вещи невозможно объяснить, нужно запомнить. Например, почему кошка называется кошкой, а собака — собакой?

Я в детстве думал, что англичанам/американцам очень тяжело разговаривать: вот он видит стул, и должен вспоминать, как же этот стул называется по-английски (chair). Или, наоборот, услышал слово chair, и должен вспоминать, что это на самом деле стул...

Почтенный гражданин

Людей is the object here, not the subject.

Осадков не предвидится.
    Осадки не предвидятся.
    So you can say both! Interesting. Again there's no difference between those? Not even stylistic? Grammar books say the use of genitive for the direct complement of a negated transitive verb is typical of higher registers. Not so for negated reflexive verbs?

Подающий надежды оратор

Да, он мне уже объяснил Я думал, что они это каким-то образом прорабатывают (особый метод или система).

А я еще жалуюсь на английскую грамматику Вот сейчас прохожу (вернее закрепляю) Passive, так чуть голову не сломал, все смешалось. Но самое главное - я понимаю смысл всего, что написано (Grammar in Use) и практически не возникает вопросов.

Подающий надежды оратор

Людей is the object here, not the subject. Yea, you're right but if we conclude that this kind of sentence is the same as the passive in English then: Active - The subject performs the action expressed in the verb tothe object and Passive - The subject receives the action expressed in the verb by the agent, hence Людей is the subject Or I'm totally wrong

Осадков не предвидится.
    Осадки не предвидятся.
    So you can say both! Interesting. Again there's no difference between those? Not even stylistic? Grammar books say the use of genitive for the direct complement of a negated transitive verb is typical of higher registers. Not so for negated reflexive verbs?
    I'm not an expert in Russian but I see no mistakes. Here some examples of using both:
    Nominative case
    Во Владивостоке дожди не предвидятся.
    Осадки в Украине сегодня не предвидятся.
    Завтра в Луганске осадки не предвидятся.
    В ближайшие сутки осадки не предвидятся

Genitive case
    В Приморье осадков не предвидится
    Настоящих снегопадов в Москве пока не предвидится.
    В понедельник осадков не предвидится.

But I think better to use the genitive case (sounds more naturally to me).

Почтенный гражданин

But I think better to use the genitive case (sounds more naturally to me).
    Ok. I have one more question if you don't mind. Let me quote Розенталь:
    В и н и т е л ь н ы й п а д е ж, ослабляющий значение отрицания, обычно употребляется:

1) при указании на конкретный объект («именно этот предмет, а не вообще какой-то»): не отрецензировал рукопись, которую ему прислали; не выпила молоко, которое ей оставила мать. Например: Он не отвергнул тогда с презрением эти сто рублей (Достоевский); …Толстяк упросил Самгина «не разрушать компанию»… (Горький);
    Такие осадки, какие вы описываете, не предвидятся.
    Таких осадков, какие вы описываете, не предвидится.

Which variant sounds most natural to you?

lae
    Почётный участник

Но ведь здесь не винительный падеж?
    But here is not the Acсusative case?

C другой стороны, есть в этом что-то. From the other hand, I think, your idea looks smart.
    Мне кажется так, но я сомневаюсь (I'm not sure, but I suppose):

(Nominative; a specific subject)
    Конкретный объект - подлежащее в именительном падеже.

[s:2hnh2z1r]Таких[/s:2hnh2z1r] осадков [s:2hnh2z1r], какие вы описываете,[/s:2hnh2z1r] не предвидится.
    (Genetive; indefinte object, precipitation at all)
    Объект без конкретизации - используется родительный падеж: (вообще) осадков не предвидится, никаких осадков не будет.

Однако, на случай "покупаться" распространить это не получается. Вроде там используется только именительный падеж.
    However, I can't generilize this to the case of "покупается". It seems to be used only with the Nominative case.

Ну, знатоки, исправляйте!
    Please correct any mistake you see in my message. Thank you in advance!
    Очень прошу исправлять любые мои ошибки (и на русском тоже). Заранее спасибо!

Подающий надежды оратор

Which variant sounds most natural to you?
    They both sound good. But the writer above is write, It is not an accusative case.

Почтенный гражданин

Спасибо за ответы. Я знаю, что здесь винительного падежа быть не может. Не то хотел сказать, а только проводил аналогию.

Quote Originally Posted by lae
    Конкретный объект - подлежащее в именительном падеже.

Объект без конкретизации - используется родительный падеж: (вообще) осадков не предвидится, никаких осадков не будет.
    Вот точно что я имел в виду.
    Однако, на случай "покупаться" распространить это не получается. Вроде там используется только именительный падеж.
    Если подумать, это не так удивительно. В каких же случаях купишь объекты без конкретизации? По-моему, ни в каких нельзя.

I think all this makes sense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12