Thread: List of words for the sixth case

List of words for the sixth case

I'm looking for a list of how to properly conjugate words in the sixth case. Like a database or a grammar dictionary. Do you know one? Can you link me?

(PS I'm never sure how's the sixth case called in English, I just know it's indicative of something "being" somewhere. Help?)

Well... different ways of case numeration are possible. So "sixth" may be Prepositional case or Instrumental case or.... As for "something being somewhere", it most probably denotes Locative case, which usually (but not always) coincide in form with Prepositional case and normally is not listed among standard Russian cases. So, I assume, you need Prepositional case.

If you speak about changing form of nouns, adjectives etc. according to the case, it is called "to decline". Term "to conjugate" relates to verbs. This also may be important when you use search.

BTW, in grammar textbooks rules of declining nouns are normally grouped not by cases but by declensions (groups of nouns, which decline similarly).

In addition for each word class that can be declined (nouns, adjectives etc.) there are different rules. So when you formulate request for search or question in forum, it should be specified, which word class exactly you want to decline.

Now if you need rules for the Prepositional case of nouns, you can google and find, for example, this.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

I would also suggest to Valda this page (which tells you that the Prepositional case normally ends in or in the singular and -ах/-ях in the plural).

And this page (which explains that certain singular masculine nouns have a "special Locative case") ending in stressed -у/-ю, and gives a partial list of common nouns with this ending, such as сад ("garden") and лес ("forest").