Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By xXHoax
  • 1 Post By alexei90

Thread: inflation adjusted prices

  1. #1
    Завсегдатай Antonio1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Пафос - Кипр
    Posts
    1,719
    Rep Power
    9

    inflation adjusted prices

    Again a question on economics. Apologize guys but in the last days economics is the only issue on the table.
    I know the expression: цены с учётом инфляции.
    There is not an participle describing this?
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

  2. #2
    Властелин Medved's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wonderland of Russia
    Posts
    1,202
    Rep Power
    23
    No there isn't.

    There is not an participle describing this?
    Wow man, three mistakes in one sentence!
    Looks like you've been going lazier and lazier.
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай Antonio1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Пафос - Кипр
    Posts
    1,719
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Medved View Post
    No there isn't.


    Wow man, three mistakes in one sentence!
    Looks like you've been going lazier and lazier.
    Lets try to fix it: There is not any participle describing this?

    Where are the three mistakes?
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

  4. #4
    Властелин Medved's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wonderland of Russia
    Posts
    1,202
    Rep Power
    23
    1. Questions with 'there is': word order
    2. Article 'A' or 'Any', yes.
    3. I'd also consider the 'Not' a flaw because it's very rare nowadays to be used like this. Just stick it to the verb.

    Result: Is(n't) there a(ny) participle describing this?
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай Antonio1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Пафос - Кипр
    Posts
    1,719
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Medved View Post
    1. Questions with 'there is': word order
    2. Article 'A' or 'Any', yes.
    3. I'd also consider the 'Not' a flaw because it's very rare nowadays to be used like this. Just stick it to the verb.

    Result: Is(n't) there a(ny) participle describing this?
    Is there any problem?
    There is any problem?

    I think in English both versions are correct.
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

  6. #6
    Властелин Medved's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wonderland of Russia
    Posts
    1,202
    Rep Power
    23
    Is there any problem?
    There is any problem?

    I think in English both versions are correct.
    Well, I don't think so. If you mean to ask something, the first option is only correct. The 2nd one is worded like a simple narrative sentence, not a question. If you reinforce it with questioning intonation, you'll get either a slangy question that is commonly used only by uneducated people or MAY be used by ordinary people in CERTAIN circumstances (fooling around, acting, etc). Or you can get a rhetoric question, that in fact doesn't need an answer.
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай Antonio1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Пафос - Кипр
    Posts
    1,719
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Medved View Post
    Well, I don't think so. If you mean to ask something, the first option is only correct. The 2nd one is worded like a simple narrative sentence, not a question. If you reinforce it with questioning intonation, you'll get either a slangy question that is commonly used only by uneducated people or MAY be used by ordinary people in CERTAIN circumstances (fooling around, acting, etc). Or you can get a rhetoric question, that in fact doesn't need an answer.
    Thank you Medved. I just forgot my English with all these Russian hanging around.
    Yes they should be inverted in order to form a question-structure.
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

  8. #8
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Medved View Post
    No there isn't.
    Looks like you've been going lazier and lazier.
    It's more natural to say "getting" than "going." If you say "going," it sounds like you're describing the way he has been going... for some reason. Even then, it doesn't really make too much sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio1986 View Post
    Is there any problem?
    There is any problem?

    I think in English both versions are correct.
    Nope, neither are correct.

    Are there any problems? / Is there a problem? (You can't use "any" with a single "problem")
    "There is any problem" is just wrong. You can't ask questions like this. It's exclusive to Russian (between English and Russian at least).

    You could turn it into a statement by removing the question mark and fixing the sentence like so:
    There is a problem. / There are problems. (You can't use "any" here.)
    Я просто пытаюсь учить русский язык.

  9. #9
    Почтенный гражданин xXHoax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    318
    Rep Power
    20
    Inverted word order for English questions has certain "exceptions". "Is there any (a problem) problem?"--Correct. There may or may not be, and you want to know whether there is any. "There is any problem?" --Never said. "There('s) is a problem?"-- Can actually be said, but is used when the speaker has heard that there may be a problem, and wants confirmation as to whether there is. "Isn't there a problem?" Proposes that the speaker does in fact think there is a problem, and is asking if the listener agrees or not. "There's (is) a problem, isn't there?" (might have a period instead of question mark in some cases) Depending on intonation, could mean "I assume there's a problem... Oh no, that sucks."(Two lowering pitches, as if they were two statements) or "I thought there was a problem. Is that not actually true?"(raising pitch)......... Soooo.... Yaaay English!
    Medved likes this.

  10. #10
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by xXHoax View Post
    Inverted word order for English questions has certain "exceptions". "Is there any (a problem) problem?"--Correct. There may or may not be, and you want to know whether there is any. "There is any problem?" --Never said. "There('s) is a problem?"-- Can actually be said, but is used when the speaker has heard that there may be a problem, and wants confirmation as to whether there is. "Isn't there a problem?" Proposes that the speaker does in fact think there is a problem, and is asking if the listener agrees or not. "There's (is) a problem, isn't there?" (might have a period instead of question mark in some cases) Depending on intonation, could mean "I assume there's a problem... Oh no, that sucks."(Two lowering pitches, as if they were two statements) or "I thought there was a problem. Is that not actually true?"(raising pitch)......... Soooo.... Yaaay English!
    "Yaaay English!" indeed, haha.

    Keep in mind that there are far more natives who can't speak English properly than people learning. You guys are in the minority, so be proud that you're working so hard to speak it properly.
    xXHoax likes this.
    Я просто пытаюсь учить русский язык.

Similar Threads

  1. How do you say "Sorry, all prices are final" in Russian?
    By rebmaboss in forum How do you Say... in Russian?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 12th, 2012, 09:50 AM
  2. Traveling and how to get cheap prices
    By Rhaab in forum Travel and Tourism
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 7th, 2010, 07:52 PM
  3. Current Moscow food prices
    By doninphxaz in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: March 9th, 2010, 07:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary