Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grammar vocab

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by начало
    lol...It was more of a yes I made a mistake, and one that a lot of the population makes, and I corrected it

And it's boyo to you lol
    That's right. The fact that you mispelled you're as you are doesn't mean your English isn't impressive. I'd say that your spelling's not impressive.

scotcher, are you an English teacher? lol
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

Властелин
    I only mentioned it because the context amused me.

No, I'm not an English teacher, just a smart-ass.

Увлечённый спикер
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    I'd say that your spelling's not impressive.
    Now that I will happily admit, since I have never been able to spell properly, mostly due to my dyslexia

Властелин
    Don't you dare call yourself a smart ass!!!
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Увлечённый спикер
    sorry, didn't mean to sound that way

Властелин
    I'd say that your spelling's not impressive.
    Now that I will happily admit, since I have never been able to spell properly, mostly due to my dyslexia
    I think it's easier to spell in English than in Russian. What do you think, guys? At least, there seem to be only a few words that virtually all native speakers can't spell correctly. These are: definately, sentance, your (instead of you're, and vice versa), and its=it's
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Увлечённый спикер
    I think it's easier to spell in Russian as it's mostly written how it sounds. English is harder becasue a lot of our words are spelt differently to how they sound such as 'tough' and 'thought'.

There are things like its vs. it's and your vs you're that loads of English people get wrong, but I think thats because we aren't taught English properly like other languages are.

Властелин
    In Russian, we also have lots of problems with spelling. That's why it's important to read a lot when you're young. They say it improves your spelling greatly even you are dyslexic.
    Actually, I've never had problems with distinguishing between it's and its because I know that you're is short for you are and therefore requires an apostrophe in the middle of it.
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Увлечённый спикер
    In Russian, we also have lots of problems with spelling.
    What sort of spelling problems are there in Russian? The thing I have a problem with is the unstressed 'o' and 'a'.

Actually, I've never had problems with distinguishing between it's and its because I know that you're is short for you are and therefore requires an apostrophe in the middle of it.
    I think most English people do know that, but to be quite honest, we are quite lazy as a nation and it's just easier to write its and your and we do it so much people forget

Властелин
    What sort of spelling problems are there in Russian? The thing I have a problem with is the unstressed 'o' and 'a'.
    There are a lot of spelling problems in Russian. There are several hundred pages' textbooks dedicated to the rules of Russian spelling.
    It's difficult for me to say what rules are the most difficult.
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Увлечённый спикер
    oh well thats another thing I will have to start on; grammar, vocab and spelling rules

Почтенный гражданин
    Wow...I can't believe I got something right

That article from Wiki is quite useful, thanks Taty. I study in Manchester, why do you ask?

Pisces, are you English or Russian? If you're Russian, how do you know English words I don't?! lol Orthogonal!!
    I'm Russian.
    "Orthogonal" is a mathematical term meaning that something is completely independent of something else (like X and Y axes). I've often seen this term in non-mathematical context.

Властелин
    Perhaps, spelling will prove easy to you because when Russians start learning spelling rules they already have a very wide vocabulary, so it must be much harder for them to learn to spell correctly. You, in turn, will discover the spelling of every word you learn gradually. Little by little. Thus, it'll probably seem easier to you. In any case, you'd better not spend much time learning how to spell if you're a beginner in Russian. You had better learn grammar and vocab first.
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Увлечённый спикер
    I will remember that word for future reference from now on Pisces.

Yeah I think you're probably write ReDSanchous, spelling rules probably aren't the most important thing to be learning right now. My grammar is ok, since thats all we have been learning for the last year, but my vocabulary is much to be desired. We don't get taught much vocab, so I have to do it on my own, but I find it quite hard to decide which words to learn and then to remember them. Russian words are always long and complicated

Почётный участник

Yeah I think you're probably right ReDSanchous, spelling rules probably aren't the most important thing to be learning right now. My grammar is ok, since thats all we have been learning for the last year, but my vocabulary is much to be desired. We don't get taught much vocab, so I have to do it on my own, but I find it quite hard to decide which words to learn and then to remember them. Russian words are always long and complicated
    Иисус жил того, чтобы любить вас, а умер, чтобы спасти вас.

wo yao nan peng you.

Властелин
    If your vocab sucks, you should definitely start to work hard on it right now BTW, knowing a lot of words doesn't mean your knowledge of the language has increased. It will increase only if you know how they collocate.

P.S.
    Yeah I think you're probably write ReDSanchous,
    scotcher might start complaining again about your English being unimpressive.
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Властелин
    [quote=zomby_pengy]
    Quote Originally Posted by "начало":1vlpca2p

Yeah I think you're probably right ReDSanchous, spelling rules probably aren't the most important thing to be learning right now. My grammar is ok, since thats all we have been learning for the last year, but my vocabulary is much to be desired. We don't get taught much vocab, so I have to do it on my own, but I find it quite hard to decide which words to learn and then to remember them. Russian words are always long and complicated
    [/quote:1vlpca2p]
    Argh!!!! You were the first to correct him!!!!
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Увлечённый спикер
    Is it a new challange to be the first to correct my English now? I am pretty ashamed of that mistake though...it's hot, I'm blaming the heat

I know, I am trying to build up my vocabulary, but like I said, it's hard work. I have a lot of trouble remembering Russian words quite often. I'm getting there...just really really slowly. I know it's not vocab that makes you good at a language, it's the grammar and structure that's important (especially in a language like Russian where it is so densely used), but grammar isn't a huge problem atm, it probably will be by the end of this year at uni tho!

Властелин
    Well, I simply wanted to point to your mistake. It's not hot here in Moscow, so my brains aren't affected by heat and I am extremely vigilant today. LOL.

If you have a lot of trouble remembering Russian words, you could buy a monolingual dictionary. Such dictionaries typically have a lot of example sentences, so it'll be easier for you to remember words. If you see a word used, you're very likely to remember at least one meaning (if the word has mulitiple meanings).

Incidentally, what does atm stand for?
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Почётный участник
    It is so hot in california right now. I've had almost a constant migrane all summer...and the heat also tends to make me nausious...

I hate summer.
    Иисус жил того, чтобы любить вас, а умер, чтобы спасти вас.

wo yao nan peng you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast