Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Lampada
  • 1 Post By fortheether
  • 1 Post By SergeMak

Thread: friend of mine/his/hers

  1. #1
    Завсегдатай Antonio1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Пафос - Кипр
    Posts
    1,719
    Rep Power
    9

    friend of mine/his/hers

    I consider the phrase (correct my English please):
    "I met him in Moscow. At that night they were the Birthdays of a friend of his and so we decided to go to her party at 21:00".
    First of all I totally forgot my English, The correct form is?: friend of mine/yours/his/hers/them .
    How it would be in Russian the above expression?
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

  2. #2
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,637
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio1986 View Post
    "I met him in Moscow. At that night they were the Birthdays of a friend of his and so we decided to go to her party at 21:00". ...
    How it would be in Russian...?
    Я встретил его в Москве. В тот вечер был день рождения его подруги и мы решили пойти на её вечеринку в 9 часов.
    fortheether and impulse like this.

  3. #3
    Paul G.
    Guest
    a friend of mine/yours/his/hers/them = один мой/твой/его/её/их друг = один из моих/твоих/его/её/их друзей (the article "a" means "один" here, though we know it is not translated, sometimes it is.
    my/your/his/her/their friend = мой/твой/его/её/их друг

    P.S. Antonio, don't hesitate, please answer my PM message, because it looks like I offended you. I would like to arrive at some conclusion.

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай maxmixiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Omsk, Russia
    Posts
    1,543
    Rep Power
    25
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

  5. #5
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    17
    100% American English:

    "I met him in Moscow. That night, there was a birthday party of a friend of his so we decided to go to her party at 9 (21:00 is redundant because night was already specified)".

    Scott


    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio1986 View Post
    I consider the phrase (correct my English please):
    "I met him in Moscow. At that night they were the Birthdays of a friend of his and so we decided to go to her party at 21:00".
    First of all I totally forgot my English, The correct form is?: friend of mine/yours/his/hers/them .
    How it would be in Russian the above expression?
    Lampada likes this.

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай Antonio1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Пафос - Кипр
    Posts
    1,719
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    a friend of mine/yours/his/hers/them = один мой/твой/его/её/их друг = один из моих/твоих/его/её/их друзей (the article "a" means "один" here, though we know it is not translated, sometimes it is.
    my/your/his/her/their friend = мой/твой/его/её/их друг

    P.S. Antonio, don't hesitate, please answer my PM message, because it looks like I offended you. I would like to arrive at some conclusion.
    Offend me. Of course not Paul. I will answer until today night.
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

  7. #7
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The peoples state of New Jersey
    Posts
    1,137
    Rep Power
    17
    Offend me. Of course not Paul. I will answer tonight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio1986 View Post
    Offend me. Of course not Paul. I will answer until today night.

  8. #8
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    339
    Rep Power
    12
    friend of mine/yours/his/hers/them
    I am not quite sure but I think "a friend of them" is not quite correct. It's probably must be "a friend of theirs".
    fortheether likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. need а pen friend
    By MaxWRX in forum Penpals and Language Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 16th, 2009, 09:39 AM
  2. my friend or friend of mine
    By iriroma in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: April 24th, 2009, 01:49 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 5th, 2009, 07:04 PM
  4. Looking for e-friend / msn-friend
    By Cyberellium in forum Penpals and Language Exchange
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 26th, 2005, 10:08 PM
  5. Why won't any avatars of mine load ?
    By Dogboy182 in forum Tech Support and Site Comments
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 5th, 2004, 02:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary