Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: A [certain number] times larger than...

  1. #1
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Paignton, Devon, England
    Posts
    49
    Rep Power
    10

    A [certain number] times larger than...

    Hi there. I'm writing out my Russian A-level coursework and have come across something for which I can't find a suitable translation. Here's my sentence in English:

    They earn an income (which/that is) six times larger than...

    So far I have Они зарабатывают доход, который - ____, чем...

    What can I fill in the blank with to express "six times larger"? I don't mind if the sentence has to be rephrased, e.g. to "they earn six times more", but I've scoured my dictionary and online translators without a Russian equivalent that sounds right.

    Спасибо! (Actually, while I'm here I may as well ask: how do you say "thanks in advance"?)

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: A [certain number] times larger than...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91
    They earn an income (which/that is) six times larger than...

    So far I have Они зарабатывают доход, который - ____, чем...
    "Зарабатывать доход" is wrong.
    You can say either:
    Он зарабатывает XXX фунтов в месяц (pounds per month).
    or:
    Его доход (составляет) XXX фунтов в месяц.

    The hyphen after "который" is no needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91
    What can I fill in the blank with to express "six times larger"? I don't mind if the sentence has to be rephrased, e.g. to "they earn six times more", but I've scoured my dictionary and online translators without a Russian equivalent that sounds right.
    six time larger - в шесть раз больше

    Спасибо! (Actually, while I'm here I may as well ask: how do you say "thanks in advance"?)
    "Спасибо заранее".
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  3. #3
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Paignton, Devon, England
    Posts
    49
    Rep Power
    10
    Ah, I think I saw the construction using раз before, but I assumed that as it's main meaning is time/occasion, that it wouldn't make sense in the context of measurement.

    Thank you!

    So, in Russian, is денги or certain units of it the only thing that one can зарабатывать?

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91
    Ah, I think I saw the construction using раз before, but I assumed that as it's main meaning is time/occasion, that it wouldn't make sense in the context of measurement.

    Thank you!

    So, in Russian, is денги or certain units of it the only thing that one can зарабатывать?
    деньги
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91
    So, in Russian, is деньги or certain units of it the only thing that one can зарабатывать?
    One can also заработать славу, почёт, уважение, доброе имя...
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  6. #6
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Paignton, Devon, England
    Posts
    49
    Rep Power
    10
    I see. So the verb is used to convey a sense of entitlement or of getting that which one deserves? And you can't зарабатывать/заработать доход because доход is more a financial, economical concept, i.e. something that is distributed on a necessary basis..?

    I ask too many questions.

    Quote Originally Posted by TATY
    деньги
    Whoops, thanks for pointing that out. I was going to include the soft sign, but my lazy mind told me not to for some reason.

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91
    I see. So the verb is used to convey a sense of entitlement or of getting that which one deserves? And you can't зарабатывать/заработать доход because доход is more a financial, economical concept, i.e. something that is distributed on a necessary basis..?
    I think, yes.

    I ask too many questions.
    Don't hesitate to do this.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  8. #8
    Завсегдатай Crocodile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    село Торонтовка Онтарийской губернии
    Posts
    3,059
    Rep Power
    17
    [quote="Ryan91"]I see. So the verb is used to convey a sense of entitlement or of getting that which one deserves? And you can't зарабатывать/заработать доход because доход is more a financial, economical concept, i.e. something that is distributed on a necessary basis..?

    I'd distinguish between the two words for "income" in Russian: доход and заработок. The former is something that you can't toil for (заработать) because historically it meant income that's just coming (ход) towards (до) you without your direct involvement. That used to be landlord's privilege. As opposed to something that you toil for (работа). And that what would an employee (работник) would do. That's why I think you can't say "заработать доход."

    Having said that, logically you could definitely say "заработать заработок", but in practice you can't because that means tautologal phrase and Russian language is very sensitive for tautologies as in the proverbial "масло масляное".

    So in the end you're left with only "получить доход" or "мой доход составляет" and those would be the right ways to say it.

Similar Threads

  1. times
    By John_Douglas in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 19th, 2010, 10:43 PM
  2. Using Вы and ты at the correct times.
    By Автобус in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: May 8th, 2009, 12:09 PM
  3. как по русски behind the times?
    By paramita in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: December 18th, 2006, 04:22 AM
  4. Interesting article in New York Times
    By kalinka_vinnie in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: April 30th, 2006, 02:01 AM
  5. A Year Abroad (or 3) as a Career Move (NY Times)
    By Lampada in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 1st, 2006, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary