Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: У меня есть...

  1. #1
    JackBoni
    Guest

    У меня есть...

    Когда говорят "у меня есть" по-русски, в некоторых случах не нужна использовать "есть". В каких случах? Я не понимаю этого.

    У меня есть брат и две сёстры.
    У него есть русский урок сегодня.
    У нас есть новая машина.
    У них есть большая собака.

    У меня болит голова - почему?

    Большое спасибо за помощь.
    Джек

  2. #2
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Invalid City!
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    13
    The inclusion of есть puts the emphasis on the existence of the subject, while у меня/ у нас puts the emphasis on the subject itself and can often mean simply "my/ our".

    У нас есть машина. - we have a car (as opposed to not having one)
    У нас машина новая. - our car is new (as opposed to being old)

    У меня болит голова - my head is sore (as opposed to being not sore, rather than as opposied to not existing at all). Grammatically you couldn't include есть in this case anyway as есть is (sort of) a verb, and you already have a verb in the sentence.

  3. #3
    JackBoni
    Guest
    Спасибо, Scotcher. Разница теперь намного яснее.

    Джек

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: У меня есть...

    Quote Originally Posted by JackBoni
    Когда говорят "у меня есть" по-русски, в некоторых случах не нужно использовать "есть". В каких _? Я не понимаю этого.

    У меня есть брат и две сестры.
    У него сегодня урок русского.
    У нас есть новая машина.
    У них есть большая собака.

    У меня болит голова - почему?
    У меня болит голова - тут глагол "иметь" вообще ни при чем. Это вы в английском говорите "Я имею головную боль". А мы в русском говорим ~"Моя голова болит" (тут глагол - "болеть", а не "иметь"). I.e. "my head hurts", "the head at me hurts".

    Мне кажется, мы говорим "есть", когда это нечто постоянное, принадлежащее нам всегда и наше навечно.
    Если что-то временное, то мы не говорим "у меня есть", а говорим просто "у меня".
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  5. #5
    JackBoni
    Guest

    Re: У меня есть...

    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Мне кажется, мы говорим "есть", когда это нечто постоянное, принадлежащее нам всегда и наше навечно.
    Если что-то временное, то мы не говорим "у меня есть", а говорим просто "у меня".
    Спасибо за исправления, Оля. Мне кажется, я теперь понял.

    У меня есть два брата.
    У дяди есть чёрная кошка.
    У сестры есть хорошая память.

    У нас сегодня семинар русского.
    У них много работы.

    Спасибо за помощь.
    Джек

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: У меня есть...

    Quote Originally Posted by JackBoni
    У сестры _ хорошая память.
    Нет, здесь не нужно "есть". Когда речь идёт о руках, ногах, частях тела, характере, памяти - не надо "есть".
    Например:
    У кошки четыре ноги (это одна очень популярная смешная песенка )
    У моего друга сложный характер.
    У меня способности к математике.
    У него длинный язык.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  7. #7
    JackBoni
    Guest
    Спасибо за исправления и объяснения, Оля. Примеры, которые ты написала очень полезные и ясные. Даже я понимаю!

    Джек

  8. #8
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    936
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: У меня есть...

    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Когда речь идёт о руках, ногах, частях тела, характере, памяти - не надо "есть".
    [/i]
    Дело не в этом. Здесь работает объяснение scotcher'а - внимание не на существовании, как таковом, а на самом объекте (на его свойствах)

    У машины литые колёса.
    У дома соломенная крыша.

    И наоборот:

    У меня есть глаза, поэтому я могу читать; у меня есть руки, поэтому я могу писать.
    Налево пойдёшь - коня потеряешь, направо пойдёшь - сам голову сложишь.
    Прямой путь не предлагать!

  9. #9
    JackBoni
    Guest
    Всем спасибо за помощь.

    Джек

  10. #10
    Завсегдатай Crocodile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    село Торонтовка Онтарийской губернии
    Posts
    3,059
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: У меня есть...

    Quote Originally Posted by JackBoni
    У меня есть брат и две сестры.
    У него есть русский урок сегодня.
    У нас есть новая машина.
    У них есть большая собака.

    У меня болит голова - почему?
    I'll try to make a very simplified rule for you.

    У меня есть брат и две сестры. = I have a brother and two sisters.
    У него есть русский урок сегодня. = He has a Russian class today. (We'll discuss this example later.)
    У нас есть новая машина. = We have a new car.
    У них есть большая собака. = They have a big dog.

    У меня есть головная боль. = I have a headache.
    У меня есть болит голова. = I have hurts head.

    The last phrase is wrong in both Russian and English.

    Do you notice a simple pattern here? So, if you can't use "have" in English in that way, don't use "есть" in Russian.

    Now, let's discuss the phrase "У него есть русский урок сегодня." That sounds really rough. There would be several ways to say it better. One of them would be "Сегодня у него есть урок русского языка." This has nothing to do really with the usage of "есть", but has everything to do with the other grammar rules. Also, sometimes, Russians tend to omit "есть" especially to make long sentences shorter. In that case you'll get "Сегодня у него урок русского языка."

  11. #11
    JackBoni
    Guest
    According to your thinking, then, Crocodile, if we can say "I have" in English, we are able to use есть in Russian, as far as I understand.

    Why, then, did Оля correct my sentence "У сестры есть хорошая память", and get rid of the есть? In the English translation for that sentence, we must say "have", so surely, according to your thinking, we must say есть in Russian. However, according to Оля, this is wrong. Have I not understood you correctly?

    Спасибо за терпение и время.
    Джек

  12. #12
    Завсегдатай Crocodile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    село Торонтовка Онтарийской губернии
    Posts
    3,059
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by JackBoni
    Why, then, did Оля correct my sentence "У сестры есть хорошая память", and get rid of the есть? In the English translation for that sentence, we must say "have", so surely, according to your thinking, we must say есть in Russian. However, according to Оля, this is wrong. Have I not understood you correctly?
    You have. However, please have a look at the lower part of my previous post. Оля just omitted "есть" because it's the elegant usage. In general, there's nothing really wrong with "У сестры есть хорошая память."

  13. #13
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mowcow, Russia
    Posts
    1,957
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile
    You have. However, please have a look at the lower part of my previous post. Оля just omitted "есть" because it's the elegant usage. In general, there's nothing really wrong with "У сестры есть хорошая память."
    Nothing wrong except no Russian in his or her right mind will say that. "У сестры есть хорошая память" is totally unnatural.

    On second thought, you can probably say "У сестры есть плохая память" meaning that she has a faulty RAM stick... But even then, it is not very natural.

  14. #14
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile
    In general, there's nothing really wrong with "У сестры есть хорошая память."
    Crocodile, why are you confusing learners? You do not seriously think "У сестры есть хорошая память" and "У меня есть головная боль" are correct, or do you? If so, I only can suppose that you could forget Russian language living in Totonto-вка...

    "У меня есть головная боль" is possible in some contexts, but it's not the same as "I have a headache". "У меня есть головная боль" could have a figurative meaning, ~ "I have troubles".
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  15. #15
    Завсегдатай Crocodile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    село Торонтовка Онтарийской губернии
    Posts
    3,059
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    I only can suppose that you could forget Russian language living in Totonto-вка...
    Thanks, Оля. I really appreciate your opinion.

  16. #16
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mowcow, Russia
    Posts
    1,957
    Rep Power
    12
    Scotcher gave a fairly good explanation. I'll try to rephrase it and maybe
    add to it.
    When you say, "У меня есть друг", the person you are talking to learns that you DO have a friend. Therefore, you use "есть". You actually inform him or her about existеnce of a friend.

    When you say "У моей сестры плохая память", the person you are talking to already knows (because it is obvious) that your sister has some kind of memory. What you are actually telling him or her is that her memory is BAD. Therefore, you don't use "есть".

    "У неё новая причёска" - "She's got a new hairdo". Again, it is obvious that she always has had some kind of hair style, what you are saying is that now she's got a new one. Therefore, no "есть".

Similar Threads

  1. Есть!
    By Бармалей in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: October 20th, 2006, 07:39 AM
  2. У меня есть подруга.....I have a friend.......
    By voshliya in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: July 24th, 2006, 06:45 PM
  3. есть
    By Dimitri in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: March 7th, 2006, 07:33 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: March 29th, 2005, 06:54 PM
  5. "Я имею" vs. "У меня есть"
    By Ядерное лицо in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: March 28th, 2005, 05:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary