Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: смутиться = ?

  1. #1
    Завсегдатай sperk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    США
    Posts
    2,284
    Rep Power
    13

    смутиться = ?

    I've seen this translated as either "embarrassed" or "confused." To me these are very different things so what is the usual meaning or sense of this word.
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

  2. #2
    Administrator MasterAdmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    MasterRussian.com
    Posts
    1,731
    Rep Power
    13
    How are these two things different? They are about the same.

    confuse = to make embarrassed
    http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/confused
    ~ Мастерадминов Мастерадмин Мастерадминович ~

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай sperk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    США
    Posts
    2,284
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterAdmin
    How are these two things different? They are about the same.

    confuse = to make embarrassed
    http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/confused
    well, all I can say is that the dictionary is wrong
    embarrassed means shy or self conscious, or if you feel stupid for having done something.
    confused means your mind is not clear about something.
    These words are not interchangeable.
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

  4. #4
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,636
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by sperk
    ...These words are not interchangeable.
    If you are confused you can sometimes feel embarrassed.
    За столом все стали его расхваливать, а он от неожиданности смутился и покраснел.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)



  5. #5
    DDT
    DDT is offline
    Завсегдатай DDT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm back now! ....nope Im gone again!
    Posts
    3,364
    Rep Power
    14
    Sperk is right. These two words, in English, are unrelated.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Sperk is right. These two words, in English, are unrelated.
    There is a word in Russian - конфуз (discomfiture, embarassed position)
    There is also a related word in Russian конфузия (approx. the same, but obsolete)

    I think the misunderstanding comes out of this fact.
    In Russian these two concepts are related (this is the way a Russian thinks). Here's the Lingvo entry:

    смущаться

    несовер. - смущаться; совер. - смутиться

    общ.-возвр.

    be embarrassed, be confused, be put out of countenance, be perplexed

    I think I'll add to this "to be in puzzlement"

    There is a difference - you can fart in public and be embarassed (ashamed of yourself), but you can encounter something difficult or extraordinary and be in astonishment, puzzlement or confused.
    In Russian, both of these situations can be described as смущение.
    It's just the way it is, I think.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  7. #7
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Residing in an unknown place
    Posts
    1,400
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: смутиться = ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sperk
    I've seen this translated as either "embarrassed" or "confused." To me these are very different things so what is the usual meaning or sense of this word.
    I'd most probably use 'embarrassed' to translate смутиться. But again, so much depends on context.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

  8. #8
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Invalid City!
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: смутиться = ?

    Lisa:
    Look on the bright side, Dad. Did you know that the Chinese use the same word for 'crisis' as they do for 'opportunity'?

    Homer:
    Yes! Cris-atunity.

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: смутиться = ?

    Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    Lisa:
    Look on the bright side, Dad. Did you know that the Chinese use the same word for 'crisis' as they do for 'opportunity'?

    Homer:
    Yes! Cris-atunity.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  10. #10
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Sperk is right. These two words, in English, are unrelated.
    There is a word in Russian - конфуз (discomfiture, embarassed position)
    There is also a related word in Russian конфузия (approx. the same, but obsolete)

    I think the misunderstanding comes out of this fact.
    In Russian these two concepts are related (this is the way a Russian thinks). Here's the Lingvo entry:

    смущаться

    несовер. - смущаться; совер. - смутиться

    общ.-возвр.

    be embarrassed, be confused, be put out of countenance, be perplexed

    I think I'll add to this "to be in puzzlement"

    There is a difference - you can fart in public and be embarassed (ashamed of yourself), but you can encounter something difficult or extraordinary and be in astonishment, puzzlement or confused.
    In Russian, both of these situations can be described as смущение.
    It's just the way it is, I think.

    Not be embarassed but be embarrassed, with two r
    And, not "I think I'll add to this "to be in puzzlement" but to be puzzled
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary