Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By iCake
  • 1 Post By Serge_spb
  • 2 Post By RobertFox

Thread: поэтому кто как, и кому как удается и "выкручивается"

Увлечённый спикер

поэтому кто как, и кому как удается и "выкручивается"

A few days ago, I chatted with my Moscow friend over house rent in Moscow. I have some phrases which I am not sure about, though I understand roughly the content.

Friend:
    Если квартира 2 комнатная и находится ближе к центру, примерная стоимость аренды за месяц около 45 000 рублей
    Зависит от места расположения, площади
    Me:
    45 000р.?? Это больше чем заплата!
    Friend:
    Да да)))
    Me:
    45000р. дорого и в Гонконге. Не стоит платить так много деньги хозяину. Только работать для хозяина
    Friend:
    Поэтому, чтобы не платить много денег, обычно люди снимают квартиру на много жителей. И живут по 7-8 человек в 2 комнатных квартирах. И делят эти деньги на количество проживающих. Таким образом, получается не вся зарплата ))))
    Me:
    Но если у него/неё семья? Нельзя жить так?
    Friend:
    По-разному бывает
    У всех ситуации жизненные разные, поэтому кто как, и кому как удается и "выкручивается".
    И в Москве очень много приезжих. В том числе, нелегалов. Которые работают незаконно
    Me:
    Понял

1. на много жителей
    How should it be understood?

2. По-разному бывает
    How should it be understood?

3. поэтому кто как, и кому как удается и "выкручивается".
    I don't quite understand this sentence, especially "выкручивается".

1. That they rent one apartement, but not one person lives there but many and all of them chip in to pay the rent.
    2. That situations can be different for different people.
    3. Выкручиваться means to "weasel your way out of a difficult sitation, find a solution to it". The whole thing just means that everyone tries to find their own way to deal with their problems.
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

Увлечённый спикер
    Thanks, but actually to a certain extent I am not even sure if I analyzed the grammatical structure correctly, so to literally translate them, can it be:
    1. "by/in many people".
    2. in different ways - there are always/often/sometimes (some words should be omitted, I don't know which)
    У всех - in everyone
    жизненные ситуации - living situations
    разные - are different

поэтому кто как, и кому как удается и "выкручивается". = therefore, who how, who how managed AND get out of...
    (I have a fragmented understanding of the last sentence, the who how who how... and I don't know where the subject is with выкручивается, and if any words are omitted.)

I can't give you literal translations as they're not only useless most of the time but also counterproductive. But I can tell you this:

1. обычно люди снимают квартиру на много жителей

That'd mean: Usually people rent an apartment for many residents.

2. По-разному бывает

бывать is difficult to translate in English. Usually it is used to convey the meaning that something can happen and is very well real or in what way something came into existence. Like a child asking their mother if magic exists. - Мама, а магия бывает?

All in all the phrase just means this:

Things happen differently (for different people)

3. У всех is just a part of a very common construction - "Everyone has" in this case.

E.g. I have a sister - У меня есть сестра. Есть is the present tense of to be and is often omitted in this construction.

She has a toy - У неё есть игрушка and so on.

So у всех разные жизненные ситуации... - Everyone has a different situation in life...

кто как - is an incomplete phrase it has relation to выкручивается

Кто как выкручивается. Кто is an impersonal subject that essentially means anyone, everyone in this case in English. Как here means in what way. We talked about выкручивается already:

Everyone finds their own way out is what that Russian phrase means.

Note: it's not surprising that you couldn't find the subject for выкручивается. It looks like the person who wrote that sentence got confused with it and "forgot" to properly conjugate the verb. It should have been ... и кому как удаётся выкручиваться

Everyone manages to find their own way out.
    wonlon likes this.
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

Quote Originally Posted by wonlon View Post
    Thanks, but actually to a certain extent I am not even sure if I analyzed the grammatical structure correctly, so to literally translate them, can it be:
    1. "by/in many people".
    2. in different ways - there are always/often/sometimes (some words should be omitted, I don't know which)
    У всех - in everyone
    жизненные ситуации - living situations
    разные - are different

поэтому кто как, и кому как удается и "выкручивается". = therefore, who how, who how managed AND get out of...
    (I have a fragmented understanding of the last sentence, the who how who how... and I don't know where the subject is with выкручивается, and if any words are omitted.)
    This is a chat talk, where the main goal is to respond as quickly as possible. Gramatically incorrect in some parts.

1. Обычно люди снимают квартиру на много жителей - really conversational form.
    Обычно люди снимают квартиру на нескольких жителей - sounds much better.
    Some certainty should exist in such sentence. (The apartment rent is supposed to be split among SEVERAL - 5-6-7 etc - tenants...)

2. "По-разному бывает
    У всех ситуации жизненные разные, "

Your friend wanted to say that life could be really weird sometimes.
    "По-разному бывает в жизни. У кого-то не достаточно средств к существованию

поэтому кто как, и кому как удается и "выкручивается" - missing words, though it`s understood

= Поэтому кто как может, кому как удается, тот так и "выкручивается"

Examples:
    -Привет всем, как живете?
    -Как сказать... Кто как. (Differently)
    -----
    -Как справляетесь с трудностями?
    -Каждый выкручивается как может.
    wonlon likes this.

По-разному бывает
    I like the English expression ' It varies '. It varies with people, locations, times etc.
    Synonym for temporal case: "раз на раз не приходится":
    Бывает, ты ешь медведя, а бывает - медведь ест тебя.
    Also (note the lyrics!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpxQ7dsRxZ8

"Житель" should be "жилец". And I doubt that it is common to share flat with strangers these days. At most it could be one friend.
    (People renting flat in a Moscow centre rarely have the income as low as 45000.)
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

Новичок
    "кто как" = "каждый действует не так, как делают все", "каждый решает проблему по-своему".

This phraseologism has some 'unwrapped' colloquial variant: 'кто во что горазд'.
    If you want to wrap in the words situation, when group of people trying to cope with some problem and everyone do it by his own funny handicraft way — it is "кто во что горазд".
    In "кто как" this strong funny aspect commonly absent, by it seems to me tha your friend wanted to say something like that =)

«и кому как удается и "выкручивается".»
    This strange syntax is not because he "forgot" to properly conjugate the verb. It is just ellipsis, some words have been omitted:
    «и кому как удается, тот так и "выкручивается".»

The meaning of "выкручиваться" may be more clear, if try to reconstrust literal meaning. "Выкручиваться" = "крутиться, пытаясь тем самым освободиться, высвободиться". Prefix "вы-" = "покинуть". If you keep your cat in hands (and espeсially if he on his back!) and cat does not want to be keeped, he tryes to weasel out and makes some frantic rorational movement. This is it.
    Lampada and wonlon like this.