Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: девочка vs. девушка

  1. #1
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Delaware, USA
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    10

    девочка vs. девушка

    девочка vs. девушка

    What is the difference?
    Платинов

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: девочка vs. девушка

    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum
    девочка vs. девушка

    What is the difference?
    If she's under the consent age you call her девочка

    To be serious, девочка refers to a child while девушка refers to a grownup. Although, you may call your girlfried девочка.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  3. #3
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Delaware, USA
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: девочка vs. девушка

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    If she's under the consent age you call her девочка

    To be serious, девочка refers to a child while девушка refers to a grownup. Although, you may call your girlfried девочка.
    So then, is девушка the same as женщина? Sorry, I'm just a little confused.
    Платинов

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22

    Re: девочка vs. девушка

    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum
    So then, is девушка the same as женщина? Sorry, I'm just a little confused.
    No strict rules here. The same person can be "a girl" for you, or "young woman" for another speaker. It depends on your age, attitude and the manner of speach.
    But it's more or less like this:

    девочка -> девушка -> молодая женщина -> женщина ->пожилая женщина -> старушка/бабушка

    But the young girl can be called "девушка" only jokingly. Девочка turns into девушка in her middle or late teen years.
    Also девочка/девушка can be used as euphemism for "virgin". (Она еще девочка - She's still a virgin).

  5. #5
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Delaware, USA
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: девочка vs. девушка

    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    No strict rules here. The same person can be "a girl" for you, or "young woman" for another speaker. It depends on your age, attitude and the manner of speach.
    But it's more or less like this:

    девочка -> девушка -> молодая женщина -> женщина ->пожилая женщина -> старушка/бабушка

    But the young girl can be called "девушка" only jokingly. Девочка turns into девушка in her middle or late teen years.
    Also девочка/девушка can be used as euphemism for "virgin". (Она еще девочка - She's still a virgin).
    Thank you very much. That clears everything up.
    Платинов

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: девочка vs. девушка

    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    If she's under the consent age you call her девочка

    To be serious, девочка refers to a child while девушка refers to a grownup. Although, you may call your girlfried девочка.
    So then, is девушка the same as женщина? Sorry, I'm just a little confused.
    Strictly speaking both девочка and девушка derive from the word дева (a maiden, a virgin). So девушка turns into a young woman after her first sexual intercourse. But, people tend to call any young female девушка.

    Девочка strictly speaking is a girl under 16 (i think) (but you can use it to express your affection to a girlfriend or even to stress on silliness of a grown woman - глупая девочка/девчонка).
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  7. #7
    JJ
    JJ is offline
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ural, Russia
    Posts
    1,390
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: девочка vs. девушка

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Девочка strictly speaking is a girl under 16 (i think)
    Девочка is a girl under the age of her secondary sexual characters.
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

  8. #8
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Moscow,50 feet above the ground
    Posts
    4,106
    Rep Power
    14
    В русскоговорящих странах женщины любого возраста способны назвать своих сверстниц "девочки".

    В частности старушки на базаре кричат, обращаясь ко всем без исключения прохожим, мужчинам и женщинам: "Девачки, семачки берём...подходим берём недорага!"
    Я так думаю.

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,384
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: девочка vs. девушка

    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum
    So then, is девушка the same as женщина? Sorry, I'm just a little confused.
    No strict rules here. The same person can be "a girl" for you, or "young woman" for another speaker. It depends on your age, attitude and the manner of speach.
    But it's more or less like this:

    девочка -> девушка -> молодая женщина -> женщина ->пожилая женщина -> старушка/бабушка

    But the young girl can be called "девушка" only jokingly. Девочка turns into девушка in her middle or late teen years.
    Also девочка/девушка can be used as euphemism for "virgin". (Она еще девочка - She's still a virgin).

    Звонок в роддом:
    - Подскажите, пожалуйста, девушка из такой-то палаты ещё не родила?
    - Молодой человек, у нас девушек нет!
    If you have problems with both posting new messages and sending PMs, you can send an e-mail to the Forum Administrator here:
    http://masterrussian.net/sendmessage.php
    У меня что-то с почтой, на ЛС ответить не могу. (

  10. #10
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,384
    Rep Power
    12
    But, people tend to call any young female девушка.
    И правильно. Нечего на этом моменте внимание заострять.
    If you have problems with both posting new messages and sending PMs, you can send an e-mail to the Forum Administrator here:
    http://masterrussian.net/sendmessage.php
    У меня что-то с почтой, на ЛС ответить не могу. (

  11. #11
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    Райкин, что ли, это был?

    Возрасты женщины: девочка, девушка, девушка, девушка, девушка, девушка, девушка, девушка, девушка, девушка, умерла старушка...
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  12. #12
    Завсегдатай chaika's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Чапелхилловка, NC USA
    Posts
    1,987
    Rep Power
    16
    Rtyom -- rofl!!

    jj> girl under the age of her secondary sexual characters.
    Представления не имею о значении вашего предложения. Что вы бы хотели сказать под этим?

  13. #13
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    Rtyom -- rofl!!

    jj> girl under the age of her secondary sexual characters.
    Представления не имею о значении вашего предложения. Что вы бы хотели сказать под этим?
    Думаю, он имеет в виду, что девочка не является девушкой, пока у нее не появятся вторичные половые признаки.

  14. #14
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    Rtyom -- rofl!!

    jj> girl under the age of her secondary sexual characters.
    Представления не имею о значении вашего предложения. Что вы бы хотели сказать под этим?
    It's a calque from a biologists' term вторичные половые признаки (I really don't have an idea how they are called in english, I mean breasts, public hair, etc ) My guess - secondary gender features. Well, what's the difference anyway between sex and gender?

    P.S. I was wrong:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_ ... acteristic
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  15. #15
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    341
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    Rtyom -- rofl!!

    jj> girl under the age of her secondary sexual characters.
    Представления не имею о значении вашего предложения. Что вы бы хотели сказать под этим?
    It's a calque from a biologists' term вторичные половые признаки (I really don't have an idea how they are called in english, I mean breasts, public hair, etc ) My guess - secondary gender features. Well, what's the difference anyway between sex and gender?

    P.S. I was wrong:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_ ... acteristic
    You can say "secondary sexual characteristic" in English, but you would only say it in biology class or some scientific situation. We can tell you lots of synonyms for "breasts" if you'd like to know

  16. #16
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    26
    I know them all. I was saying that I only hadn't known how do biologists call them
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  17. #17
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    341
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    I know them all. I was saying that I only hadn't known how do biologists call them
    No one knows them all.

  18. #18
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    South Texas, US
    Posts
    389
    Rep Power
    0

Similar Threads

  1. Девочка, 14 лет, поет
    By kalinka_vinnie in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: January 7th, 2008, 04:25 PM
  2. девчонка = девочка?
    By sperk in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 4th, 2006, 08:22 PM
  3. девушка из России
    By in forum Penpals and Language Exchange
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 14th, 2005, 06:37 PM
  4. What does "Девочка-нимфетка" mean?
    By kwatts59 in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: December 7th, 2004, 12:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary