Thread: Где ничто не положено

Завсегдатай

Где ничто не положено

I am getting bored of translating songs so I decided to translate a short story. Can somebody check for errors please?
    Here is the first part. I just need to know how well I am doing. No need to post the entire story. Parts in bold I am not sure about.
    Thanks is advance.

У меня есть приятель, которого зовут Дориан. Он постоянно занят тем, что ищет смысл жизни, и презирает меня за то, что я не делаю этого. А я действительно не ищу. Я его знаю.

В данную минуту я сижу за столом, гляжу на своего ученика и думаю о том, что надо будет пойти и взять у Дориана ключ от его однокомнатной квартиры.

Я заранее знаю, какой у нас будет с Дорианом разговор, и мысленно проговариваю текст про себя. Пока я готовлюсь к предстоящей беседе, мой ученик Миша Косицын играет сонатину Клементи.

- Четыре и, раз и, два и... - гнусаво считает Миша и колотит по желтым потрескавшимся клавишам. Локти у него висят, пальцы стоят неверно. Надо бы подойти, поправить руку, но мне лень подниматься.

Сижу и думаю о предстоящем свидании.

Мы познакомились вчера в метро. Я запомнил имя - Гелана, я никогда раньше такого имени не слышал. И запомнил шапку - таких я тоже раньше не видел. Если Гелана придет сегодня в другой шапке, я просто не узнаю ее.

Я очень люблю бывать в обществе женщин. С ними я чувствую себя талантливее и значительнее, чем это есть на самом деле. И женщины любят бывать в моем обществе, потому что у меня хороший характер. Я ни от кого ничего не требую, и со мной легко.

- Дальше, - говорю я Мише. - Что там у тебя дальше!

- Ригодон, - тоненьким голосом отвечает Миша.

- Выучил? - спрашиваю, хотя понимаю, что вопрос этот праздный и риторический.

- Я учил, - говорит Миша, и уши у него становятся красными.

- Выучил или нет? - снова спрашиваю я и гляжу на часы. До конца урока осталось десять минут. Я предпочел бы не дожидаться конца, но за дверью сидит Мишина бабушка и тоже, наверное, смотрит на часы.

- Пожалуйста, - говорю я.

- Три и раз... - кричит Миша. Я понимаю, что мелодии он не слышит совершенно, а процесс счета его занимает гораздо больше, чем процесс игры.

В евангелии от Матфея сказано: "Где ничто не положено - нечего взять". В моих учениках, за редким исключением, ничто не положено. Почти все они без слуха, почти все провалились в музыкальной школе и теперь учатся в клубе просто так, для себя. Вернее, не для себя, а для своих родителей.

- Ре-диез, - поправляю я и снова смотрю на часы.

Миша перестает играть, глядит сначала на правую руку, потом на левую. Он не понимает, где нужно взять ре-диез.

- Хватит, - не выдерживаю я. - В следующий раз то же самое.

I have friend named Dorian. He is constantly occupied with the search for the meaning of life, and despises me that I don’t search. And I really don’t search. I know it.

At the present minute I sit behind a table, I look at my pupil and I think that it will be necessary to go and take Dorian’s key to his one-room apartment.

I know ahead of time, what our conversation with Dorian will be, and mentally I pronounce the words to myself. While I prepare for forthcoming conversation, my pupil Misha Kositsyn plays the Clement sonatina.

- Four and, one and, two and... – Misha nasally counts and bangs on the yellow cracked keys. His elbows hang, fingers stand incorrectly. I need to go, correct his hand, but I am too lazy to get up.

I sit and think about forthcoming appointment.

We met yesterday in the Metro. I remembered the name - Gelana, I have never heard such a name before. I also remembered the cap – I have never seen such (a cap) before. If Gelana comes today in another cap, I simply will not recognize her.

I very much like to be in a company of women. With them I feel more talented and more significant, than in actuality. And women like to be in my company, because I have a good character. I demand nothing from anybody, and it is easy to be with me.

- Continue, - I tell Misha. – What’s there you have further!

- Rigadon, - answers Misha in a thin voice.

- You learned? - I ask, though I understand, that this question is idle and rhetorical.

- I learned, - says Misha, and his ears become red.

- Learned or not? - I ask again and I look at the clock. Ten minutes remain until the end of the lesson. I would prefer to not wait to the end, but Misha’s grandmother sits at a door, probably, also looked at the clock.
    - Please – I say.
    - Three and one… - cries Misha. I understand, that he does not completely hear the melody, and the process of his counting occupies much more than the process of playing.

In the gospel from Mathew it is said: " Where nothing is needed - there is nothing to take”. In my pupils, with rare exception, nothing is needed. Almost all of them without hearing, almost all have failed at musical school and now study in the club simply so, for themselves. More likely, not for themselves, but for their parents.

- A D-sharp, - I correct and again I look at the clock.

Misha stops playing, looks all over again at the right, then on left. He does not know, where he needs to play the D-sharp.
    - Enough, - I can’t take it. Next time the same.
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

Увлечённый спикер

Re: Где ничто не положено

Quote Originally Posted by kwatts59
    I need to go, correct his hand, but I am too lazy to get up.
    Rather, 'I should go and correct...'.

- Continue, - I tell Misha. – What’s there you have further!
    Maybe just 'What's next?'

- You learned? - I ask, though I understand, that this question is idle and rhetorical.

- I learned, - says Misha, and his ears become red.
    Rather, 'Have you learnt it?' -- 'I learned (studied?) it.'

and the process of his counting occupies much more than the process of playing.
    'Occupies him' probably?

In the gospel from Mathew it is said: " Where nothing is needed - there is nothing to take”.
    "Where nothing was placed, there is nothing to take." More literally, 'Where nothing was laid down, there's nothing to pick up.'

Cannot remember or find a relevant phrase there though.

- Enough, - I can’t take it. Next time the same.
    Probably all right. 'Next time you'll play the same pieces' is what was meant.
    The above may contain Siberian words, idioms, usages, and ideas. Take care.

Завсегдатай
    Огромное спасибо Doldonius.

Overall, I think I did good.

It was a date, not appointment.
    It would be a hat, not a cap.
    I think, better: personality, not a character, comfortable to be around me
    Очень хорошо, Kwatts!
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Увлечённый спикер
    Quote Originally Posted by kwatts59
    Огромное спасибо Doldonius.
    You're welcome!

Overall, I think I did good.
    Very good. Your English is getting better and better!
    The above may contain Siberian words, idioms, usages, and ideas. Take care.

Завсегдатай
    Thank you all for your help.
    I am still bored so I decided to translate a bit more of the story.
    Anyway, here it is. Can somebody check for errors?
    Thanks in advance.

Миша поднимается из-за пианино розовый и взмокший. Он стоит, смотрит в пол, мучаясь и мечтая выскочить скорее из класса. Я мечтаю об этом же самом, но почемуто задерживаю своего ученика. Я говорю ему о пользе учения вообще и музыкального образования, в частности. О гармоническом развитии личности. О том, что сейчас Миша этого не ценит, а когда вырастет большой и сумеет оценить, - окажется уже поздно. И вот тогда-то Миша не сможет укусить свой локоть, который тем не менее будет очень близок.
    Закончив беседу, я взглядываю на часы и, убедившись, что Мишине время истекло, выхожу с ним в коридор. Я выхожу, чтобы направиться к Дориану, но меня останавливает Мишина бабушка.
    - Ну как? - спрашивает бабушка и смотрит с мольбой и с благоговением. Она так на меня смотрит, потому что я учитель. Учу ее внука благородному делу.
    - Мало занимается, - строго говорю я.
    Старуха горестно кивает, в руках у нее Мишина папка и Мишино пальтишко с заплатой на локте.
    - А что делать? Как заставить? Мы уж бьем...
    Старуха смотрит мне прямо в рот и ждет разумного совета. Самое разумное, что я мог бы предложить, - поменять Мише учителя. Но предлагать такое не принято, поэтому я говорю бабке то, что ей хочется от меня услышать. Я говорю, что внук у нее умный и серьезный, что он образумится, возьмет себя в руки и выучит, наконец, ригодон и сонатину Клементи.
    Бабка радостно кивает, она верит каждому моему слову.
    Людям свойственно надеяться и верить в хорошее.
    Чтобы попасть к Дориану, надо спуститься ниже этажом. Я спускаюсь ниже этажом, иду через актовый зал.
    В актовом зале обычно репетирует оркестр Московского радио. Они снимают в этом клубе помещение.
    Сегодня репетиция уже закончилась, музыканты почти разошлись. На сцене задержалась девушка-скрипачка. У нее светлые волосы, клетчатая юбка, и она похожа на немку. Девушка прижалась щекой к скрипке, отставив смычок, делает пиццикато. Я останавливаюсь, гляжу на нее и вспоминаю свое студенчество, то время, когда учился в Гнесинском институте и собирался завоевать мир.
    Дориан обходит своих учеников, раздает им ноты и медиаторы - Дориан руководит оркестром Народных инструментов, поэтому у него полные карманы пластмассовых медиаторов. Для себя он держит отдельный - черепаховый.
    Дориан видит меня, выходит из класса и прикрывает за собой дверь. Глаза у него настороженные - он тоже знает предстоящий разговор и тоже, наверное, готовился к нему.
    - Ты что сегодня делаешь? - спрашиваю.
    Вместо ответа Дориан достает из-за пазухи афишу и разворачивает передо мной. С афиши на меня снисходительно смотрит мой сокурсник Толька Беляев. Под портретом большими красными буквами написана его фамилия, а пониже синими - Толькина программа: Бетховен, Спендиаров, Григ.
    Ничто так не огорчает, как успех товарища. Я смотрю на красные буквы, на синие и говорю Дориану:
    - Так что ты сегодня делаешь?
    - Когда? - уточняет Дориан.
    - Ну, с семи до десяти...
    - Я иду в библиотеку сразу после работы.
    - Очень хорошо, - говорю. - Я приду к тебе в гости, часов в семь.
    - Как же ты придешь, если меня не будет? - наивно удивляется Дориан.
    - А ты дашь мне ключ, - объясняю я.
    Сейчас скажет: "Не дам".
    - Не дам, - говорит Дориан.
    - Почему? - ласково интересуюсь я.
    Сейчас он скажет, что ему противно.
    - Мне противно, - говорит Дориан.
    Он нервничает, потому что знает: через десять минут, когда он окончит монолог, ключ будет у меня в кармане.
    У Дориана очень дряблая воля, из него никогда бы не получился дрессировщик диких зверей. Дикие звери съели бы Дориана на первой же репетиции.
    Через десять минут с ключом в кармане я возвращаюсь к своим дорогим ученикам.
    Скрипачка уже ушла. Вместо нее на сцене с веником в руках стоит наша уборщица тетя Фрося. В одну из ее обязанностей входит не пускать в клуб хулиганов. Хулиганов тетя Фрося не пускает, да они и не стремятся. Все хулиганы района давно усвоили, что связываться с тетей Фросей неразумно. Затрачиваемая энергия намного превосходит отдачу.
    Чтобы добиться в жизни успеха, надо уметь хотеть. Желать страстно. Вот тетя Фрося страстно охраняет клуб. Я страстно хотел завоевать мир - и не завоевал. А Толька Беляев, кстати, никогда не хотел завоевывать мир. Он хотел только играть.
    Гелана пришла в шапке. Стояла возле памятника Маяковскому, и по тому, как она стояла, чувствовалось, приготовилась ждать долго.
    Я подошел, невидимый со спины, и, улыбаясь, представлял, как трону ее сейчас за плечо, как она обернется и обрадуется, и мы вместе пойдем по улице, и она начнет молоть чепуху. Я уже протянул руку, но в последний момент почемуто вдруг смутился. Стоять с протянутой рукой было неловко, и я все же тронул ее за плечо.
    Далее действие начало развиваться странным образом: она действительно обернулась, но не удивилась, как я предполагал, и не обрадовалась, а посмотрела так, будто пыталась вспомнить, кто я и почему здесь стою.
    - Здравствуйте, - вежливо поздоровался я, давая понять, что мы хорошо знакомы.

Misha rises from the piano pink and sweaty. He stands, looks at the floor, worrying and dreaming to quickly dart out from the class. I dream of this myself, but because of my student I hold back. I tell him about the benefit of learning in general and music education, in particular. About harmonious development of a person. That now Misha does not appreciate it but when he grows bigger, he will become appreciative, - it appears already too late. And here then Misha cannot bite his elbow which nevertheless will be very close.
    Having finished the conversation, I glance at the clock and make sure that Misha’s time had expired, I leave with him to the corridor. I leave, in order to head toward Dorian, but I stay with Misha’s grandmother.
    - Well how? – asks the grandmother and looks with silence and with gratitude. She so looks at me, because I am the teacher. I teach her grandson a noble profession.
    - A little preoccupied – I sternly say
    The old woman sadly nods, in hand she has Misha’s folder and little jacket with a patch on the elbow.
    - And what to do? What to lead? Our hears beat…
    The old woman looks at me straight into the mouth and waits for a reasonable answer. Most reasonable, that would I offer, - to get a differnt teacher for Misha. But to offer such (an answer) is not pleasant, therefore I said to the grandmother what she wanted to hear from me. I say that her grandson is smart and serious, that he will realize, take him by the hand and teach, finally, Rigadon and Clement’s sonata.
    The grandmother happily nodded, she believed each of my words.
    People inherently hope and believe in goodness.
    In order to get to Dorian’s, I need go down to the lower floor. I descend to the lower floor, I go through the acting hall.
    In the acting hall generally rehearses an orchestra of the Moscow radio. They take a room in this club.
    Today the rehearsal already ended, musicians almost left. On the stage remained a girl – violinist. She had light hair, checkered skirt, and she resembled a German. The girl nestled on her cheek a violin, having set aside her bow, she was doing piccacato (plucking the strings). I stop, I look at her and I recollect my students, that time when I taught in the Gnesinskom institute and I intended to conquer the world.
    Dorian bypasses his students, hands them notes and picks
    - Dorian supervises over an orchestral of National instruments, therefore he has pockets full of plastic picks. For himself he holds separate a turtle.
    - Dorian sees me, leaves from the class and closes his door. His eyes awake – he also knows the forthcoming conversation and also, probably, prepared for it.
    - What did you do today? – I ask.
    Instead of answering, Dorian gets from a cubby-hole a poster and unwraps it in front of me. With the poster on me I warmingly see my fellow classmate Tolka Belyaev. Under the portrate in big read letter is written his family name, and in somewhat smaller blue letters Tolkin’s program: Beethoven, Spendiarov, Greig.
    Nothing such affects, than the success of friends. I look at the red and blue letter and say to Dorian:
    - So what will you do today?
    - Wnen? – Dorian replies.
    - Well, from seven to ten…
    - I am going to the library immediately after work.
    - Very well, - I say – I come to visit you, at seven o’clock.
    - How will you come, if I am not there? – naively surprised Dorian.
    - You will give my the key – I reply.
    Now he will say. “I will not give it”.
    - I will not give it, - says Dorian.
    - Why? – I am tenderly interested
    Now he will say, it’s distasteful for me.
    - It’s distasteful for me, - says Dorian.
    He is nervous, because he knows: in 10 minutes, when he monolog finishes, the key will be in my pocket.
    Dorian has a very weak will, the trainer of wild animals never would fail to take from him. The trainer of wild animals would eat Dorian on the first rehersal.
    After 10 minutes with the key in my pocket, I return to my dear students.
    The violinist is very cunning. Instead her on the stage with a broom in her hands, there is our cleaning lady Aunt Frosja. On of her duties is not to let hooligans enter the club. Aunt Frosja doesn’t let in hooligans, and they do not try. All the hooligans of the area for a long time have become familiar with aunt Frosja’s irrationality. The spent energy by far surpasses the feedback.
    In order to succeed in life, one must want. To desire passionately. Here aunt Frosja passionately protects the club. I passionately wanted to rule the world – but I did not rule. And Tolka Belyaev, by the way, never wanted to rule the world. He just wanted to play.
    Gelana came in the hat. She stood near the Mayakovski monument, and how she stood, it seemed, she was prepared to wait a long time.
    I have approached, invisible from the back, and, smiling, represented, like a throne of her now for a shoulder as she will be wrapped up and will be delighted, and we together shall go along the street, and she will start to grind nonsense. I have already stretched a hand, but during last moment because suddenly was confused. To stand with a stretched hand it was awkward, and I nevertheless touched her on the shoulder.
    Further action began to develop in the strange image: she has really turned back, but not surprised like I assumed, and she was not delighted, she looked as if tried to remember who I am and why I am standing here.
    - Hello, - I have politely greeted, letting know, that we are well familiar.

Почтенный гражданин

Re: Где ничто не положено

- I learned,(I studied) - says Misha, and his ears become red.

- Learned or not? - I ask again and I look at the clock.