Thread: What is the meaning of "Скуп"?

Новичок

What is the meaning of "Скуп"?

My new Ukrainian wife wrote the following to me in response to my complaining about how she spent 1000 grivnyia on a pair of boots for the winter. I gave her the money for her birthday, but didn't want her to spend almost all of it on boots!

Есть народная пословица:"Скуп - не глуп", но надо знать для кого скупиться.

From an online translator, dictionary, and a short conversation with a Russian-speaking acquaintance, I got this so far:

There is a national proverb: "to be stingy - it is not silly ", but it is necessary to know for whom to be stingy with.

I would like alternate opinions on what "Скуп" and "скупиться." mean exactly.

Thank you!

Dave

Завсегдатай
    There is a national proverb: "stingy is not stupidity ", but you must know who to be stingy to.

Maybe she thinks your stingy.
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

Завсегдатай
    Maybe its a bad idea to give your internet wife 1000 dollars (of any currency).
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Старший оракул
    Wicked burn!
    -Fantom
    "Alright, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, so let's just figure this out and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

Почтенный гражданин
    да вы чё народ окститесь, 1000 гривен это 200 уё какая нах штукабаксов

скупой = жлобина
    Оригинал: Call me ASAP.
    Перевод: Зови меня Асапом. (С)

Почтенный гражданин

Re: What is the meaning of "Скуп"?

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver7
    My new Ukrainian wife wrote the following to me in response to my complaining about how she spent 1000 grivnyia on a pair of boots for the winter. I gave her the money for her birthday, but didn't want her to spend almost all of it on boots!

Есть народная пословица:"Скуп - не глуп", но надо знать для кого скупиться.

From an online translator, dictionary, and a short conversation with a Russian-speaking acquaintance, I got this so far:

There is a national proverb: "to be stingy - it is not silly ", but it is necessary to know for whom to be stingy with.

I would like alternate opinions on what "Скуп" and "скупиться." mean exactly.

Thank you!

Dave
    What alternative do you need? The translation is correct. Скуп - short for скупой means stingy. The verb скупиться means 1) to be stingy, or (as a homonym) 2) to go shopping, to do a big shopping. She used the first meaning. Depends on the tone your wife used but I can't see anything wrong with the phrase. She doesn't want you to be stingy with her.
    Anatoli - Анатолий - أناتولي - 阿纳托利 - アナトーリー - 아나톨리

Новичок
    Thanks for all of your replies. I thought the translation I had was good, but I wasn't sure - that's why I was looking for alternate opinions. I wanted to be sure before I wrote my reply.

BTW, she's not an internet wife: we met through mutual friends, I've known her now for 2.5 years, and I've been there to visit her 4 times.

And 1000 grivnyia is about US$200, Cdn$250.

Старший оракул

BTW, she's not an internet wife: we met through mutual friends, I've known her now for 2.5 years, and I've been there to visit her 4 times.
    You've known her for 2.5 years, you have met her four times, and you are married to her? Sorry dude, but she's your internet wife... Just calling it like it is...
    -Fantom
    "Alright, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, so let's just figure this out and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

Почтенный гражданин
    That has to create an interesting dynamic in any relationship... whenever your spouse is upset that you aren't giving her enough money she starts shouting at you in some devil language! :P

Quote Originally Posted by fantom605

You've known her for 2.5 years, you have met her four times, and you are married to her? Sorry dude, but she's your internet wife... Just calling it like it is...
    -Fantom
    Stop judging other people and telling them what to do, that goes for you too, Dogster! He wasn't asking for a definition of his relationship.

Btw: he said NEW wife, so he probably just got married. what their future plans are, we do not know.
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    Quote Originally Posted by fantom605

-Fantom
    Stop judging other people and telling them what to do, that goes for you too, Dogster! He wasn't asking for a definition of his relationship.

Btw: he said NEW wife, so he probably just got married. what their future plans are, we do not know.
    Well its true. Its an internet wife. I mean, i have an internet girlfriend that i have to fly 14 hours to see across the pacific ocean. So, i mean, i figure. Why not make fun of other people too ?
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Старший оракул
    I wasn't making fun, I was just stating a fact. I wasn't judging or telling him what to do, there were no command form verbs in my statement at all.
    "Known", "met", "are", "is", and an implied "am".

I don't make fun of people who don't know that I am kidding.

-Fantom

Завсегдатай
    quicksilver7, what are you complaining about anyway? $200 (even less) for good lether winter boots is not so much. Unless it's not something like валенки, in that case it's a little overpriced.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    $200!!! She could have bought 6 pairs of army boots for that price with enough tread to last her a lifetime Does she really need footwear with really long toes???
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Новичок
    Thank you Kalinka_vinnie. Yes, we just married this July, and I'm now sponsoring her to immigrate to Canada as my wife. So she's been my "virtual wife" as she calls herself for 3 months now. The visa processing can take several months. Canada does not allow fiancee visa sponsorship like the US and other countries do anymore.

fantom, how would you translate "wicked burn"? That would be a toughie! LOL

net surfer, what are валенки?

Старший оракул

fantom, how would you translate "wicked burn"? That would be a toughie! LOL
    I suspect you'll have to ask someone from Massechusetts, as that's probably the first question they will have about Russian, how to say "wicked" anything... Or else they can never truly express themselves...

валенки appear to be cheap shoes, similar to "stockings" some people hang at Christmas. That's why Net Surfer said it would be a bit overpriced for them.
    <a href = "http://www.valenok.ru/img/shop/DSC06053-300x200.jpg" target = "blank">Valenok</a>

-Fantom

ps- Sorry if I came off being mean or making fun of you, it wasn't my intention... I guess I get too comfortable around here, and forget sometimes that not everyone knows I'm joking...!

Новичок
    No offense taken fantom. I was probably a little too defensive, really. I guess I get tired of the "mail-order bride" and similar remarks from acquaintances and such, but it comes with the territory and I should accept it.

Thanks for the translation of валенки.

So what's a dude from San Diego doing on a forum like this? Do you have a Russian gal? If so, the weather there must be a shock: you leaving from a city that has close to perfect weather year 'round (if you can afford to live near the coast), to the often frigid Russian climate, especially if you're crossing the Pacific and going to Vladivostok, or worse, Irkutsk or Yakutsk.

Dave

Старший оракул
    Haha, I get that stuff all the time, also. I was seeing a Russian woman before, but now I am dating a Bulgarian woman, so believe me, I have had my share of "Mail-order bride" comments also! My favorite lately is when I told my friend the name of my current girlfriend (Zlatka), he said "You know, Al, there actually are women in the United States that are available to date!"

Unfortunately, I have never been to Europe, only S. / L. America... I am originally from Iowa, but I haven't gone back in winter for about 2 years.
    -Fantom

Почтенный гражданин
    Оригинал: Call me ASAP.
    Перевод: Зови меня Асапом. (С)