Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Translation from Russian to English

  1. #1
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    230
    Rep Power
    10

    Translation from Russian to English

    Hello all. I'm hoping to enlist some help with the translation of a short story that I'm working on. It's a Russian sea story (go figure !) which takes place aboard a Soviet nuclear sub some years ago, so there are some technical terms and nautical/military slang/jargon that I'm not sure of, and, of course, the colloquialisms that I don't get. Anyhow, I'm not sure if I ought to post the whole thing here. It's two and a half pages long, and, being a story about sailors, it does include a little foul language - so I was wondering if anyone here would be kind enough to let me email them what I have so far to be checked. Thanks!

    P.S. - the original is here:

    http://www.submarina.ru/kurianchik/nnk/rus_souv.htm
    P.S. - Исправление ошибок в моих текстах на русском всегда приветствуется

  2. #2
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Сварга
    Posts
    1,391
    Rep Power
    12
    Некоторые слова из этого рассказа я и сама не знаю, о некоторых только догадываюсь. Наверное, нужно служить на ядерной подлодке, чтобы понять все тонкости (например, для вестовых такое счастье - лишний раз наверх подняться)

  3. #3
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    South Texas, US
    Posts
    389
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Translation from Russian to English

    The story is more or less clear. I did not find any puzzling nautical terms. What are the words that you need nelp with?

  4. #4
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    230
    Rep Power
    10
    Here they are:

    -каштан - my guess is that it's the sound-powered telephone system, or a particular circuit on it

    -the exclamation "во дают!". Don't have a clue how to put it in English

    -он чувствовал продолжение спинным мозгом - did the chief actually say what follows, or did the aide imagine it?

    -"командир группы автоматики...напялил ПДУ..." - 1. automatic control of something?. 2. a uniform part?

    -“Да там от радости в штаны наложат..." - ...??

    That's what I've got so far - I'm not quite finished yet. And I've been having some difficulty translating "пультовик". Any idea what this would be in English? -somthing shorter than "one who works at the main reactor control panel. " Is this a nuke, mechanic, an electrician, a boiler tech, machinist's mate, etc.?
    P.S. - Исправление ошибок в моих текстах на русском всегда приветствуется

  5. #5
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    SPb.ru -> California.us
    Posts
    394
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Moryachka
    Here they are:

    -каштан - my guess is that it's the sound-powered telephone system, or a particular circuit on it
    Kaштан - название одной из систем громкоговорящей связи - intercom.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moryachka
    -the exclamation "во дают!". Don't have a clue how to put it in English
    Wow! (удивление )

    Quote Originally Posted by Moryachka
    -он чувствовал продолжение спинным мозгом - did the chief actually say what follows, or did the aide imagine it?
    subconsciously

    Quote Originally Posted by Moryachka
    -"командир группы автоматики...напялил ПДУ..." - 1. automatic control of something?. 2. a uniform part?
    ПДУ - портативное дыхательное устройство

    FYI: Российский подводный флот. Словарь терминов
    http://submarine.id.ru/Glossary_page.htm

  6. #6
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    SPb.ru -> California.us
    Posts
    394
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Moryachka
    ....
    -"командир группы автоматики...напялил ПДУ..." - 1. automatic control of something?. 2. a uniform part?
    It could be one of these:
    ГАДД - группа автоматики дивизиона движения
    ГАКС - группа автоматики корабельных систем

    Quote Originally Posted by Moryachka
    -“Да там от радости в штаны наложат..." - ...??
    They will shit their pants out of joy

    Quote Originally Posted by Moryachka
    That's what I've got so far - I'm not quite finished yet. And I've been having some difficulty translating "пультовик". Any idea what this would be in English? -somthing shorter than "one who works at the main reactor control panel. " Is this a nuke, mechanic, an electrician, a boiler tech, machinist's mate, etc.?
    operator?

  7. #7
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    SPb.ru -> California.us
    Posts
    394
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Moryachka
    -он чувствовал продолжение спинным мозгом - did the chief actually say what follows, or did the aide imagine it?
    The aide imagined it.

  8. #8
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    SPb.ru -> California.us
    Posts
    394
    Rep Power
    10

  9. #9
    N
    N is offline
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    377
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by DenisM
    Пока вы здесь в ванночке с кафелем,
    Моетесь, нежитесь, греетесь, -
    В холоде сам себе скальпелем
    Он вырезает аппендикс.
    В. Высoцкий

    Хороший рассказ.

  10. #10
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    230
    Rep Power
    10
    Hey thanks! That story you mentioned is great, DenisM - it cracked me up. Only now I'll have to translate it into English so other people I know can read it too!

    I still have one question though - why would the fellow put on an oxygen breathing device before leaving the space he was in? I had looked at sokr.ru and found that definition, but it still just didn't make sense to me. Perhaps I just don't understand shipboard procedure well enough.
    P.S. - Исправление ошибок в моих текстах на русском всегда приветствуется

  11. #11
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    SPb.ru -> California.us
    Posts
    394
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Moryachka
    Hey thanks! That story you mentioned is great, DenisM - it cracked me up. Only now I'll have to translate it into English so other people I know can read it too!

    I still have one question though - why would the fellow put on an oxygen breathing device before leaving the space he was in? I had looked at sokr.ru and found that definition, but it still just didn't make sense to me. Perhaps I just don't understand shipboard procedure well enough.
    Huh although theoretically I'm russian navy lieutenant in reserve I know almost nothing about routine on submarines since I was supposed to serve on a ship .

  12. #12
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Сварга
    Posts
    1,391
    Rep Power
    12
    About the first story: The author plays with language, jokingly. You cannot find words like "десять жетоно-человек" or "единоначальник" in the dictionary, though they are quite understandable.

  13. #13
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    230
    Rep Power
    10
    DenisM - you were supposed to serve on a ship but didn't?

    Indra - Right - I've just got to do my best to get the same idea across in English. Putting Russian slang and made-up words into English is the worst part, because sometimes I'll read it, and I'll know just what it means, but I can't for the life of me think of how to translate it properly. It's HARD, but that's what makes it fun. [/code]
    P.S. - Исправление ошибок в моих текстах на русском всегда приветствуется

Similar Threads

  1. Russian-English translation
    By Rorik in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 13th, 2009, 04:05 AM
  2. Please help with english to russian translation.
    By FeliksD in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: March 11th, 2008, 06:56 PM
  3. Translation: English->Russian
    By portu in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: March 9th, 2008, 06:24 PM
  4. The translation from Russian to English
    By Dr. in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: August 7th, 2006, 06:11 PM
  5. Russian-English translation
    By avsarbeyi in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: June 29th, 2006, 03:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary