Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By Ramil

Thread: re- (for actions of repetition) and over-

re- (for actions of repetition) and over-

As I have noticed when many verbs in russian start with the prefix за- this indicates:the beging of something. Correct?
    In case of the English verbs of repetition: e.g. re-assess, reunite, reenter, restart, rebuild, rebirth, re-establish ... is there any prefix in russian that can do the work.
    Also is there any prefix in Russian that can do the jop for over-: e.g. over-react, overwork, oversleep, overheat, overstress etc
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

This might seem similar, but in reality I don't think you can draw any parallels here. If you do - do it carefully.
    Here, за- doesn't mean the beginning, quite often it means the opposite - завершить, закончить.
    What concerns the English equivalent of re- often you can use пере- (like in to be reborn = переродиться, to rebuild = перестроить), but not always.
    Sometimes you cannot even express re+verb in one word, instead you will use the adverb заново, снова or повторно (reenter - войти повторно, redo - сделать снова or переделать).
    As far as I can tell, there's no 'universal' prefix that will work here.
    Finally - the 'over-' part. Usually you can use the prefix пере- (to overheat - перегреть, to overwork - переработать, to overload - перегрузить), but sometime you won't be able to express it in one word like in over-react - for a literal translation you will need 3 words - среагировать излишне (чрезмерно) сильно (to react with excessive strength).
    Send me a PM if you need me.

"Лучше переспать, чем недоесть", they say
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."