Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: I have ever met.

  1. #1
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    10

    I have ever met.

    You are the most beautiful girls I have ever met.
    Which of my Russian translation is the correct one?

    1.Вы - самая красивая девочка, которую я когда-либо встречал.

    2. Вы - самый красивый девочка, которую я когда-либо встречал.



    I know the Russian word for meet is ' встречать '.

  2. #2
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Residing in an unknown place
    Posts
    1,400
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: I have ever met.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gorky
    You are the most beautiful girls I have ever met.
    Which of my Russian translation is the correct one?

    1.Вы - самая красивая девочка, которую я когда-либо встречал.

    2. Вы - самый красивый девочка, которую я когда-либо встречал.



    I know the Russian word for meet is ' встречать '.
    The first one's ok. but you can also use the word 'девушка'.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

  3. #3
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    10
    Thanks ReDSanchous for the reply.
    девушка and девочка have different meanings. One is for a small girl. The other one is for a grown up girl.

    For me, it is difficult to distinguish between the two.
    I guess for a grown up girl it should be девушка.

    Please tell me if I am wrong.

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorky
    Thanks ReDSanchous for the reply.
    девушка and девочка have different meanings. One is for a small girl. The other one is for a grown up girl.

    For me, it is difficult to distinguish between the two.
    I guess for a grown up girl it should be девушка.

    Please tell me if I am wrong.
    Yes, девушка. You may call her девочка but that word usually bears either a very intimate (when addressing her directly in private) or a scornful meaning.
    Девочки referring to a grown up girls may be used also to refer to a group of prostitutes.

    Девушка is all right.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  5. #5
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    10
    Thanks Ramil
    Your blinking eye irritates me.

  6. #6
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    США
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    9
    Насчёт слово "когда-либо", в чем разница между "когда-либо" и "когда-нибудь?" Как и когда нам узнаем какую форму использовать?

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Invu2
    Насчёт слова "когда-либо", в чем разница между "когда-либо" и "когда-нибудь?" Как и когда нам узнать, какую форму использовать?
    Большой разницы нет... Я думаю, что "когда-либо" - более книжный вариант.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  8. #8
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: I have ever met.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gorky
    You are the most beautiful girls I have ever met.
    Which of my Russian translation is the correct one?

    1.Вы - самая красивая девочка, которую я когда-либо встречал.

    2. Вы - самый красивый девочка, которую я когда-либо встречал.



    I know the Russian word for meet is ' встречать '.
    Yeah but - why "girls" (plural)?
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

  9. #9
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    США
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    9
    Спасибо за очень длинное обьяснение, Ольга. Сейчас всё побольше яснее. Иногда меня надо просто догадываюс и надеюсь, что это правильно.

  10. #10
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Invu2
    Спасибо за очень длинное обьяснение, Ольга. Сейчас всё более ясно.
    Why "очень длинное"? "Very long"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Invu2
    Иногда меня надо просто догадываюс и надеюсь, что это правильно.
    I don't know how to correct this sentence. I don't understand it...
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  11. #11
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    65
    Rep Power
    10
    Charlestonian
    It should be singular. It is wrong to say 'girls'.

    So please rewrite it.

  12. #12
    Завсегдатай Basil77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Moscow reg.
    Posts
    2,549
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorky
    Charlestonian
    It should be singular. It is wrong to say 'girls'.

    So please rewrite it.
    Are you asking yourself??!
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

  13. #13
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Residing in an unknown place
    Posts
    1,400
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Quote Originally Posted by Invu2
    Спасибо за очень длинное обьяснение, Ольга. Сейчас всё более ясно.
    Why "очень длинное"? "Very long"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Invu2
    Иногда я просто наугад пишу и надеюсь, что это правильно.
    I don't know how to correct this sentence. I don't understand it...
    I guess the meaning was close to what I've written.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

  14. #14
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    США
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    9
    I was just being sarcastic, Olya.

    "Спасибо за очень длинное обьяснение, Ольга. Сейчас всё побольше яснее. Иногда меня надо просто догадываюс и надеюсь, что это правильно."

    Thanks for a very long explanation, Olya. Now everything is much clearer. Sometimes I simply have to guess and hope that it's right.

    That's what I was aiming for.

  15. #15
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Invu2
    I was just being sarcastic, Olya.

    "Спасибо за очень длинное обьяснение, Ольга. Сейчас всё побольше яснее. Иногда меня надо просто догадываюс и надеюсь, что это правильно."

    Thanks for a very long explanation, Olya. Now everything is much clearer. Sometimes I simply have to guess and hope that it's right.

    That's what I was aiming for.
    Then better is:

    Спасибо за такое "подробное" обьяснение, Оля. Теперь всё "намного" яснее.
    Иногда я просто пытаюсь угадать смысл и надеюсь, что угадываю правильно.


    I don't know how to explain this difference more minutely. "Когда-либо" just is the same "когда-нибудь". "Когда-нибудь" is more colloquial.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  16. #16
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,635
    Rep Power
    31
    Когда-либо = когда угодно, и в прошлом и в будущем, когда-нибудь - только в будущем.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)



  17. #17
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    когда-нибудь - только в будущем.
    Почему?
    Ты его встречал когда-нибудь раньше?
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  18. #18
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,635
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    когда-нибудь - только в будущем.
    Почему?
    Ты его встречал когда-нибудь раньше?
    Можно, пожалуй, но я бы сказала "когда-либо раньше".
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)



  19. #19
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    когда-нибудь - только в будущем.
    Почему?
    Ты его встречал когда-нибудь раньше?
    Можно, пожалуй, но я бы сказала "когда-либо раньше".
    Я тоже, но речь не об этом. Просто "когда-нибудь" можно сказать и о прошедшем времени, и многие вполне могут так сказать.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  20. #20
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Quote Originally Posted by Invu2
    I was just being sarcastic, Olya.

    "Спасибо за очень длинное обьяснение, Ольга. Сейчас всё побольше яснее. Иногда меня надо просто догадываюс и надеюсь, что это правильно."

    Thanks for a very long explanation, Olya. Now everything is much clearer. Sometimes I simply have to guess and hope that it's right.

    That's what I was aiming for.
    Then better is:

    Спасибо за такое "подробное" обьяснение, Оля. Теперь всё "намного" яснее.
    Иногда я просто пытаюсь угадать смысл и надеюсь, что угадываю правильно.


    I don't know how to explain this difference more minutely. "Когда-либо" just is the same "когда-нибудь". "Когда-нибудь" is more colloquial.
    объяснение
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary