Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Holidays

  1. #1
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    10

    Holidays

    Hello. Would you please translate this?

    Hello everyone!

    We wish you a holy Christmas and a joyful New Year!

    Love,
    Oleg and Lisa.
    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by love.angel
    Hello. Would you please translate this?

    Hello everyone!

    We wish you a holy Christmas and a joyful New Year!

    Love,
    Oleg and Lisa.
    Thank you!
    Привет всем!
    Мы желаем вам счастливого Рождества и радостного Нового года!

    С любовью,
    Олег и Лиза.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  3. #3
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    420
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Holidays

    [quote=Оля]
    Quote Originally Posted by "love.angel":3sofhm3w
    Hello. Would you please translate this?

    Hello everyone!

    We wish you a holy Christmas and a joyful New Year!

    Love,
    Oleg and Lisa.
    Thank you!
    Привет всем!
    Мы желаем вам счастливого Рождества и радостного Нового года!

    С любовью,
    Олег и Лиза.[/quote:3sofhm3w]

    Why aren't you allowed to say святого?

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by challenger
    Why aren't you allowed to say святого?
    We don't say "желаю святого Рождества" (btw "радостного Нового года" also not, but it's acceptably)
    Generally we say "Счастливого Рождества", "Счастливого Нового Года".
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  5. #5
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Residing in an unknown place
    Posts
    1,400
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Holidays

    [quote=challenger]
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Quote Originally Posted by "love.angel":3mrvf904
    Hello. Would you please translate this?

    Hello everyone!

    We wish you a holy Christmas and a joyful New Year!

    Love,
    Oleg and Lisa.
    Thank you!
    Привет всем!
    Мы желаем вам счастливого Рождества и радостного Нового года!

    С любовью,
    Олег и Лиза.
    Why aren't you allowed to say святого?[/quote:3mrvf904]
    I think you're allowed to but, as Оля has said, it's not common. You're allowed to say so because it's grammatically ok but as far as style and collocations are concerned, things are not as good as the grammar.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай Basil77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Moscow reg.
    Posts
    2,549
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Holidays

    The most common New Year greeting looks something like:
    Поздравляю с (наступающим) Новым Годом и Рождеством! Желаю (...) в новом году!
    "наступающий" is added then it is said before the holidays.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    We don't say "желаю святого Рождества" (btw we also don't say "радостного Нового года" _, but it's acceptable)
    Generally we say "Счастливого Рождества", "Счастливого Нового Года".
    You're allowed to say so because it's grammatically ok but as far as style and collocations are concerned, they are not as good as the grammar.
    Did you mean "connotations"?

  8. #8
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    420
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    We don't say "желаю святого Рождества" (btw we also don't say "радостного Нового года" _, but it's acceptable)
    Generally we say "Счастливого Рождества", "Счастливого Нового Года".
    You're allowed to say so because it's grammatically ok but as far as style and collocations are concerned, they are not as good as the grammar.
    Did you mean "connotations"?
    "Collocations" makes perfect sense here.

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by challenger
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    We don't say "желаю святого Рождества" (btw we also don't say "радостного Нового года" _, but it's acceptable)
    Generally we say "Счастливого Рождества", "Счастливого Нового Года".
    You're allowed to say so because it's grammatically ok but as far as style and collocations are concerned, they are not as good as the grammar.
    Did you mean "connotations"?
    "Collocations" makes perfect sense here.
    Ты прав!

  10. #10
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Residing in an unknown place
    Posts
    1,400
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: Holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    We don't say "желаю святого Рождества" (btw we also don't say "радостного Нового года" _, but it's acceptable)
    Generally we say "Счастливого Рождества", "Счастливого Нового Года".
    You're allowed to say so because it's grammatically ok but as far as style and collocations are concerned, they are not as good as the grammar.
    Did you mean "connotations"?
    I meant collocations this word choice turned out ok in the end, didn't it?
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

  11. #11
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Holidays

    Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    Hello everyone!

    We wish you a holy Christmas and a joyful New Year!

    Love,
    Oleg and Lisa.

    I think you're allowed to but, as Оля has said, it's not common. You're allowed to say so because it's grammatically ok but as far as style and collocations are concerned, things are not as good as the grammar.
    If you'd noticed the original had HOLY there It also isn't common to say it in English, so I assume it is as uncommon to say it in Russian here.
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Similar Threads

  1. How to say "Bless our home" and "Happy Holidays" in Russian?
    By Ruby Daniels in forum How do you Say... in Russian?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 19th, 2009, 03:29 PM
  2. "Holidays of Petrov and Vasechkin" (+English Subs)
    By gRomoZeka in forum Culture and History
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 7th, 2008, 09:17 PM
  3. Russia’s Extended Winter Holidays
    By MasterAdmin in forum Culture and History
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 9th, 2007, 04:06 AM
  4. How Do I Write "Happy Holidays" In Russian?
    By Appletomm in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 31st, 2005, 03:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary