Thread: Don't let it go to your head.

Don't let it go to your head.

>This is a common phrase in English. It means don't become arrogant about something. Don't let the pride go to your head, I guess. I was thinking about the phrase and thought, "Sometimes your head needs it to go to it.", naturally, I wondered how both these phrases would translate into Russian. I realized I have absolutely no idea. How can you convey "It is needed to it, for it to (do something)". Also I'm not quite sure which word from идти would fit here, or if that word is even okay to use. Голове надо оно сходится с ей?
    >Is the word "manly" used the same in russian? To convey the typical idea of "things men do".
    > How many ways does the word "thing" or "way" translate? These sort of meaningless broad terms for when you don't know the actual word to use. вещь, путь...

Sorry, did not understand first part "It is needed to it, for it to (do something)".
    Would be nice to see examples. Like the Duck used to say in Alice's adventures:
    I know what "it" means well enough, when I find a thing, said the Duck: it's generally a frog or a worm. The question is, what did the archbishop find?
    "Don't let the pride go to your head" looks similar to "не задавайся!" (Задаваться, значения слова / Толковый словарь Ефремовой case #2)

thing and way are interesting. I often struggle with simplest Russian words, because I feel that any English translation I have in my brain just do not fit.
    way is often способ, метод, вариант.
    thing is вещь, штука, anything actually.
    Returning to Duck's expression, my favorite translation is
    - Я прекрасно знаю, что такое "это", когда я его нахожу,-
    невозмутимо ответила Утка.- Обычно это - лягушка или червяк. Вот я и
    спрашиваю: что именно нашел архиепископ?
    As you can see, THING could even become ИМ, ЭТИМ.
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by xXHoax View Post
    >This is a common phrase in English. It means don't become arrogant about something.
    I think "ударить в голову" (literally "hit the head") and "вскружить голову" (literally to make head spin) is very close.
    "Hit the head" is slightly harder in usage. Vodka or gambling "hit the head". Champagne or public success "make head spin".
    "Не позволяй успеху вскружить тебе голову" means "Don't become arrogant AND thoughtless because of success". Not only arrogance is implied, but it is implied too.