Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your service in the millitary? 2 years required?

Well, at least these posts are well thought out and with actual content, not just random BS as some people ( ) keep posting!

Hey, don't look at me like that!
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMage

I would shoot them in the kneecap.
    And risk having him sue (lawyer wallet rape/enslave) you? Shoot to kill.
    If you shoot someone in your doorway, make sure they fall INTO the house too.
    I'm easily amused late at night...

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by capecoddah
    And risk having him sue (lawyer wallet rape/enslave) you? Shoot to kill.
    If you shoot someone in your doorway, make sure they fall INTO the house too.
    You have to prove that there was a credible threat on your life in ordert to kill someone, however you only have to believe there's a reasonable threat to shoot him in the knee.
    Corrupting young minds since May 6, 2004.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by adoc
    Maybe you just have noone to care about.
    You'll be surprised but I care about people.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Me too, only very few...

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne
    I'm not a patriot and would never willingly serve in something as corrupt as the US military...
    In nearly four years and several different commands, I have never met anyone in the service whom I can say is actually corrupt. If you knew even half the people that I do, I think you'd have a different view of the U.S. military. Most of us didn't join to kill people, believe it or not.
    P.S. - Исправление ошибок в моих текстах на русском всегда приветствуется

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackMage
    Me too, only very few...
    But I think of not only my surroundings...
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Moryachka
    In nearly four years and several different commands, I have never met anyone in the service whom I can say is actually corrupt. If you knew even half the people that I do, I think you'd have a different view of the U.S. military. Most of us didn't join to kill people, believe it or not.
    I have a very positive view of the U.S. Military. Keep up the good work!

The main message I get from this thread, is what nice and caring people you all are.

Sadly, all this is neither about patriotism, or about evil, or about defending your country.
    These days, it's about money.
    All the rest is propaganda used by the people who are at the receiving end of that money line, to make people do what they want them to do, i.e. go to war - because war makes money.

Try putting up the graphics of stock markets against a graph of historical facts - you'll see that the only thing that really makes money, is war.

That is why the US invaded Iraq (Wot, "dictator"? Hundreds of dictators in this world!), will invade Iran later this year, and why Korea is probably next (if I remember right, about 200. They need war to keep their economy going.

And they're not the only ones.

And personally, I don't think the human being is evil per se. I think every single human being is basically selfish, yes, and searches to be happy, that's all. Unfortunately, there are those that think that wealth and power will make them happy - and that is why they do evil things.
    Sad really - cuz wealth and power (alone) does not make you happy. (although a little bit of wealth would help pay the bills, of course )

My grandfather was an army colonel, and the most convinced pacifist I ever knew. He was the one who was most adamant about teaching us kids about the senselessness of war, and about respect for other people, no matter what their status.
    But he fought WWII, not because he wanted to, but because he had no choice. (Sometimes we don't. I'm with our friend Tolstoi on this one: history takes its course, no matter what - and we little humans can but follow, and try to limit the damage.)

So he deffo wasn't spineless

Neither were Ghandi or Martin Luther King for that matter.

On the contrary, I think you have to be extremely strong to be a pacifist. Being a pacifist doesn't mean running away when things get hot - and standing up for your ideas and principles without immediately retorting to violence is a very powerful thing.

Actually, I don't like thinking about all this.
    Wouldn't it be nice if everybody could just get along. *sigh*

PS: have I used up all the letters of the Internet again?
    Ой, голова у меня кружится |-P ...... and my brain hurts too....

Завсегдатай
    Хорошо сказано, Баба Яга.. Я согласен с твоим доводом больше всего!

Властелин
    I am not suprized. What I was trying to say in another post is that in the end it is not really up to you what you'll do when you face the dilemma. All these words about good and evil and self control on the population level are nothing. It's akin saying, why people dont just refuse to get cancer. It's in their nature, end of story, without mechanisms triggering cancer you wont be able to heal wounds or even develop. You remove the natural ability (whatever it is) "surgically", the population doesn't survive. We need agression, it's our instrument to survival in a general sense, paradoxical as it may sound.
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

Завсегдатай
    Argh, it's such a complicated issue isn't it... I don't know who I agree with more....

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Layne
    Chuvak is right in that no one should have need or want to hurt another person, but people are inherently evil. If everyone laid down their weapons as he says, one man would decide to take over and everone else would be powerless to stop him. This makes it neccesary for honest people to protect themselves, both personnaly and as a country. I'm not a patriot and would never willingly serve in something as corrupt as the US military, but I will protect myself and the people and things I care about.
    The US millitary aint corrupt you texan
    Long live america the land of great and free people

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by BabaYaga
    will invade Iran later this year,
    I really doubt it. We simply are not strong enough, and Iraq war has shown it too clearly to the whole world.

We can bomb шыт out of Iran (our oil is there though, so we cannot afford it) but we are not strong enough to invade it.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Barmaley
    It never ceases to amaze me that the threads that are the most useless to argue are the ones that get the most posts. I don't mean that in a snide way, but it's true. We can all sit here and debate this until we're blue in the face, but no one is going to change their opinion. Wheras, if we were talking about, say, whether to use the genative or accusative case in some context, we'd be making much more progres...
    People have much stronger opinions about stuff like this. I mean, linguistic stuff is pretty firm. Not much room for opinion.
    Ленин пил
    Ленин пьёт
    Ленин будет пить

Quote Originally Posted by Vesh
    I really doubt it. We simply are not strong enough, and Iraq war has shown it too clearly to the whole world.

We can bomb шыт out of Iran (our oil is there though, so we cannot afford it) but we are not strong enough to invade it.

*LOL* - I count bombing the шит out of a country as an invasion too

But maybe I should rephrase it to "attack", OK?
    Ой, голова у меня кружится |-P ...... and my brain hurts too....

Quote Originally Posted by Vesh

Not so simple. No one in US military really wants to die for his country. NO ONE. Why?
    Because every military campaign of U.S.A. was offensive. Americans have always been agressors (in a neutral meaning of this word, i.e. they have always fought abroad. It's simply due to the geographical location). So every soldier had fought just because he was in the army and in army men supposed to shoot another men their commanders designated as an enemy.
    Quite another issue is when a man fights because some armed men has come to his place and threaten to ruin his life and claim his land. He fights to the death. To a last bullet and to the last drop of blood. He'll tear the enemy with his teeth and bare hands.
    Americans don't hate their enemies, they're just doing the job when pulling the trigger. They're more organized, better armed, have an efficient commandment but just one thing remains that they can't cope with - the human hatred against them.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Завсегдатай
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil

Not so simple. No one in US military really wants to die for his country. NO ONE. Why?
    Newsflash: nobody wants to die, period. Yet people have done so for many, many years in the service of their country. They will continue to do so, sadly. As you admit, people sign up voluntarily every day to do just that -- otherwise we couldn't fight all those "offensive" wars.

Because every military campaign of U.S.A. was offensive. Americans have always been agressors (in a neutral meaning of this word, i.e. they have always fought abroad. It's simply due to the geographical location).
    Really? I wasn't aware that the French and Indian War (ok, technically not American, but close enough), the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and the American Civil War were fought abroad. New Orleans is where? And when they burned down the White House, that was what country? Gettysburg isn't an American town? Bunker Hill is a trendy part of London? I think not.

Americans don't hate their enemies, they're just doing the job when pulling the trigger. They're more organized, better armed, have an efficient commandment but just one thing remains that they can't cope with - the human hatred against them.
    Yes we do. We absolutely hated the British, we hated the Nazis and Japanese, and we still do hate these terrorist douchebags. Note that those first three are now steadfast allies -- hopefully the states that the douchebags hail from eventually become so as well. And the human hatred against you allege is just natural -- you can't win 'em all.
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

Властелин
    Who said that joining army is a gesture of patriotism? You call bringing death and suffering in the name of the place where you live a patriotism? You know there is a very good Russian proverb "как аукнется, так и откликнется". Just think about this.

And there is no the word "patriotism" for me. It's a dummy word for me. I live because of life itself and don't need to show any sensless adoration.
    Very well said, Rtyom. It always makes me cringe when it's being said everywhere how our people lack patriotism, how it is one of the main things we should teach children and so on, just teach them to respect human individuals and the human life (well I'm oversimplifying here and there are much more things to teach them, but you see the point), this will make them good people without such artificial ideals like patriotism. Actually, I believe that there's a natural patriotism - that is an unconscious attachment of a person to the places he spends a lot of time at (some people have more of it, some have less, some have none at all) and there's nothing wrong with it unless it's turned into a sort of cult which happens quite often, I think.
    And yes, I am a pacifist. I don't think it's possible to get rid of the military in an eye-blink (at least considering the state of mind of most people) but I believe in gradual disarmament and really hope that this is the way will be no armies in the long run. That said I do believe that most people in the military of any country are good and well-intended (except for those who initiate the war) even if we disagree about a lot of things. I also don't think it's a possible to not use violence at all (again, considering the current state of people's minds) but it should be kept to minimum as much as possible. For example we may need to use some violence to catch a criminal but as soon as he is caught, all violence directed at him should be stopped immediately, however what we often see (on TV) is that even when he is caught and handcuffed the police continue to beat him.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    In reallity Americans are becomming LESS ingnorant.
    I think just the fact that the support of G.W. Bush has decreased a lot is a good proof of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by adoc
    We need agression, it's our instrument to survival in a general sense, paradoxical as it may sound.
    I believe almost everyone happened to have some aggression in them at some point, but how many of them would kill because of that? Not many, I think. So I don't think that aggression alone is the reason that non-violent choice doesn't prevail. I think the answer about that reason, to a large extent, lies in Baba Yaga's post.
    "Happy new year, happy new year
    May we all have a vision now and then
    Of a world where every neighbour is a friend"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast