View Poll Results: Who do you study Russian with?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Individually (from books, friends, recordings, etc.)

    21 58.33%
  • In a class group (at school, college, university, etc.)

    7 19.44%
  • With a personal teacher

    2 5.56%
  • Combination of Individual study & School/Teacher

    5 13.89%
  • Other (explain below)

    1 2.78%
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Who do you study Russian with?

  1. #1
    Administrator MasterAdmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    MasterRussian.com
    Posts
    1,731
    Rep Power
    13

    Who do you study Russian with?

    This poll will try to give an idea on whether you study Russian by yourself or with a teacher.
    ~ Мастерадминов Мастерадмин Мастерадминович ~

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    13
    Lol. If only I had a "personal teacher".

    No one I know studies Russian so I pretty much learn by myself, apart from the extremely rare conversation with a native speaker.

    Sigh... why did I choose Russian?

  3. #3
    ST
    ST is offline
    Властелин ST's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Russia, Novosibirsk
    Posts
    1,351
    Rep Power
    11
    crypto-masochism?
    The bear looked at the car, and reflections of fire danced in his eyes. He knew what to do.

  4. #4
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    On 19 June, 1980
    Posts
    980
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    Lol. If only I had a "personal teacher".

    No one I know studies Russian so I pretty much learn by myself, apart from the extremely rare conversation with a native speaker.

    Sigh... why did I choose Russian?
    To be able to speak to me in my native language, indeed!!!

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    Lol. If only I had a "personal teacher".
    Haha. There's a business venture for you, Basurero: www.ImportRussianTeachers.com.
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  6. #6
    DDT
    DDT is offline
    Завсегдатай DDT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm back now! ....nope Im gone again!
    Posts
    3,364
    Rep Power
    14
    I clicked Individual Study but I have in the past used several semesters of University course to ammend my study programme.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

  7. #7
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Residing in an unknown place
    Posts
    1,400
    Rep Power
    12
    It must be very hard to start learning a foreign language on your own and bring it to a relatively high level. It seems much easier to me to study on my own after a teacher has explained the basics to me.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

  8. #8
    Почтенный гражданин capecoddah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA пляж
    Posts
    648
    Rep Power
    10
    A, Individually, Books, maids at work and a Russian English teacher on-line pal. Bummer, no "Individual Teacher" this summer, so far, I have faith, hope and would like to have Irina Still a couple months to go... Asha at the front dest is Polish, but speaks Russian and went to school there, but we only overlap shifts for 2 hours on 2 days. Marina comes to swim at night but can't comprehend why I want to learn Russian. I thought she was playing dumb with me, but the other maids say she doesn't play.

    Плаваь I knew, плавки I learned yesterday shopping, I get a different translation for pool from everyone .
    Пруд цемента = Cement pond?
    I'm easily amused late at night...

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by capecoddah
    A, Individually, Books, maids at work and a Russian English teacher on-line pal. Bummer, no "Individual Teacher" this summer, so far, I have faith, hope and would like to have Irina Still a couple months to go... Asha at the front dest is Polish, but speaks Russian and went to school there, but we only overlap shifts for 2 hours on 2 days. Marina comes to swim at night but can't comprehend why I want to learn Russian. I thought she was playing dumb with me, but the other maids say she doesn't play.

    Плаваь I knew, плавки I learned yesterday shopping, I get a different translation for pool from everyone .
    Пруд цемента = Cement pond?
    Hey, be glad with what you got. I would KILL for someone to speak Russian to...I would take a Pole or a Ukranian -- heck I would take an Egyptian if they knew BASIC Russian...
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  10. #10
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122
    Rep Power
    10
    im a senior in high school...and I'm homeschooled.

    so basically every class I take I teach myself...except for two years ago when I took a class at a University for precalculus/trigonomitry and for Biology.

    So yes, I learn russian by myself.
    Иисус жил того, чтобы любить вас, а умер, чтобы спасти вас.

    wo yao nan peng you.

  11. #11
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    184
    Rep Power
    11
    I'm teaching myself. I burn CDs and listen to conversation in the car on the way to and from work. I'm both the Teacher and the student; the Teacher thinks the student is lazy, and the student is convinced that the Teacher doesn't know anything!
    Не балуй!

  12. #12
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Haksaw
    I'm teaching myself. I burn CDs and listen to conversation in the car on the way to and from work. I'm both the Teacher and the student; the Teacher thinks the student is lazy, and the student is convinced that the Teacher doesn't know anything!
    Ah, another one of those cases where the teacher is sleeping with the student, eh?
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  13. #13
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    184
    Rep Power
    11
    Hey! we're both legal age!
    Не балуй!

  14. #14
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,640
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by capecoddah
    ...Плаваь I knew, плавки I learned yesterday shopping, I get a different translation for pool from everyone .
    Пруд цемента = Cement pond?
    Лозунг на стене сталелитейного цеха: "Наша сила - в наших плавках!"
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)



  15. #15
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    920
    Rep Power
    10
    if im in england i can just call my gf's mobile (doesn't cost her anything) from skype for 0.06 euros a minute. quality is great! if you dont have any russians to talk to, you should befriend one via icq, get their number and call them, just dont turn into EasyGoingGuy
    Не откладывай на завтра того, с кем можешь переспать сегодня
    --------
    http://england-moscow.com/

  16. #16
    Pim
    Pim is offline
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    9

    mixed mode

    I'm studying while simultaneously being member of a russian folklore ensemble.
    So on Friday evening I get pronunciation from a native speaker (although sometimes the pronunciation is said to be folkloristic, so you have to be on your guard there), we are supplied with texts and a basic translation, we have to lean the texts by heart, and in the end most of the time is spent (rightfully) on musical interpretation.
    Then, at home, I try to analyze the texts in more detail, look up some of the words, try to discover the roots of the verbs and so on.
    Finally, I like reading simplified texts and corresponding through email.

    Pim.

  17. #17
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    559
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: mixed mode

    Quote Originally Posted by Pim
    I'm studying while simultaneously being member of a russian folklore ensemble.
    So on Friday evening I get pronunciation from a native speaker (although sometimes the pronunciation is said to be folkloristic, so you have to be on your guard there), we are supplied with texts and a basic translation, we have to lean the texts by heart, and in the end most of the time is spent (rightfully) on musical interpretation.
    Then, at home, I try to analyze the texts in more detail, look up some of the words, try to discover the roots of the verbs and so on.
    Finally, I like reading simplified texts and corresponding through email.

    Pim.
    wow, that's pretty cool!
    Не плюй в колодец, пригодится водицы, напиться.

  18. #18
    Почётный участник Moongazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Аризона
    Posts
    93
    Rep Power
    11
    I've studied on my own individually for over a year. If I encounter any problems, there's always my Estonian buddy (recently moved to the UK) who can rope n' rescue me out of any quagmires when needed. It's her mother-tongue since her Mom and Pop are originally from Russia.
    If only you could see . . . what I have seen, with your eyes.

  19. #19
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    9
    I learn by myself now but I have a hard time.

  20. #20
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0
    I study with a personal teacher, a middle aged Russian lady who is just wonderful as is her entire family. Sometimes class is at her house and sometimes it's at mine. Monday through Friday 9:30-12:30. We do pretty much whatever I want. Reading, conversation, grammar, dictation, or sometimes, well actually a lot, I just ask her things about life in the Soviet Union. It's great because I learn A LOT of things you wouldn't learn in a normal classroom, I'm spending the summer at a university studying Russian in an immersion program and my teacher here praised my Russian vocabulary and purely Russian phrases. She also makes me perogies! and of course a million zakuski and always offers me vodka or cognac. Fun times, drinking during class.

Similar Threads

  1. help you to study Russian
    By LadyInRed in forum Penpals and Language Exchange
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 4th, 2010, 09:16 PM
  2. I will help to study Russian.
    By Russia_Eugene in forum Penpals and Language Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 21st, 2010, 01:38 PM
  3. We may help with study Russian )
    By a_makushkin in forum Penpals and Language Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 1st, 2010, 09:22 AM
  4. We may help with study Russian )
    By DVA in forum Penpals and Language Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 28th, 2010, 06:51 PM
  5. I will help you study Russian and you will help me study Eng
    By Alexandr_Perm in forum Penpals and Language Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 3rd, 2010, 06:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary