Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What does your name means?

Another war-like Martian here.
    I'm easily amused late at night...

Quote Originally Posted by sawat.datta View Post
    я лумат это традисия всуду в мтр к назвоние как это. i think it's a tradition everywhere in world to name a child after their root parents.
    "Root" parent? Hmmm. Do you mean their father and mother or grandparents? I know that in some cultures you do NOT name the child after anyone who is currently living, so if you mean the child's mother and father... that would not be a tradition everywhere.

But then you get some Catholic families who all name the girls in the family Mary [something], like Mary Ellen, Mary Elizabeth, Mary Margaret, Mary Catherine... they are "called" by their middle name though.

I'm trying to remember... I believe it is Koreans who name the generation all the same name. I worked with a guy years ago who told me this. He and all of his siblings and cousins (male and female) all had the same name.
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Hanna
    That's interesting Rockzmom! I have wondered about these long double names. So that is why!

I heard the same thing about Koreans, so I guess it must be true. They have two parts of the first name, so it's the first bit that is the shared by the siblings, I think. All their names have beautiful meanings.

With Russians I have noticed that there doesn't seem to be the same degree of "fashion" when it comes to names. They keep using the same names generation after generation.

Whereas in English for example, some names are almost impossible to imagine for a very old or very young person. For example the recent "Forest Boy" story in Germany (a teenager who said he was an orphan who had lived in the forest for 10 years) the boy claimed that his mother was an Englishwoman named Doreen. But hardly anyone below 80 would be called Doreen, so English media immediately suspected he was a fraud.

It's also interesting how many Russian names seem to be of Greek origin, with no well known Christian connection...

Властелин
    It's also interesting how many Russian names seem to be of Greek origin, with no well known Christian connection...
    For example?
    Usually they are connected with a well-known saint.

Властелин
    Who is another?
    Hanna, why did you change your nick? Is the first syllable stressed in Johanna? And how is it pronounced in Swedish?

Hanna
    Who is another?
    He means that his name is Mark. Marcus said earlier that he is called Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    For example?
    Usually they are connected with a well-known saint.
    Well, LOTS of Russsian male names have no equivalent in Western European names. I guess they come from Greek then.

Like Dmitri, Evgeni, Anatoliy (that's a province in Greece!) Artyom, Arkady (that really sounds Greek!). The transliteration of these names is really bugging me too. My favourite example is Jurij which is really nice, but Yury looks like the name of a gangster or a spy from a Hollywood movie.

My name is pronounced like this "Юxaнна." The emphasis is on the first a, same as in English. The x is an "h" really, of course, but if you pronounce the x gently, then the Russian pronunciation is absolutely fine.

Властелин
    Евгений is Eugene probably.
    Thank you, Hanna.

Hanna
    Eugene sounds very 19th century to me...

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Well, LOTS of Russsian male names have no equivalent in Western European names. I guess they come from Greek then.

Like Dmitri, Evgeni, Anatoliy (that's a province in Greece!) Artyom, Arkady (that really sounds Greek!).
    The fact that some Russian names don't have Western European equivalents doesn't necessarily mean that they are from Greek, but it is true that there are a whole lot of names which have been borrowed from Greek, including those you listed:

Дмитрий < Latin Demetrius < Ancient Greek Δημητριος < Ancient Greek Δημητηρ "Goddess of fertility and harvest among other things"
    Евгений < Latin Eugenius < Greek Ευγενιος < Greek ευγενης < Ancient Greek ευ + γενης "well produced/born" or "aristocrat, noble, etc."
    Анатолий < Ancient Greek Ανατολιος < Ancient Greek ανατολη "east, orient, sunrise, dawn"
    Артём < Ancient Greek Αρτεμισιος < Ancient Greek Αρτεμις "Goddess of hunting, virginity among other things"
    Аркадий < Ancient Greek Αρκαδιος "of Arcadia"

Often, Russian names with no Western European equivalents are simply of Slavic origin, for example Богдан, Мирослав or Владимир. And that includes female names as well, such as Людмила, Светлана and Вера:

Богдан < Slavic Бог + дан "god given"
    Мирослав < Slavic миръ + слов "peace glory" or "peace Slav"
    Владимир < Slavic волод + миръ "ruler (of) peace"
    Людмила < Slavic люд + мила "people dear"
    Светлана < Slavic свет "light, holy, world"
    Вера < Slavic вера "faith, belief, religion"

Each of these Slavic names have cognates in multiple Slavic languages. Consider for example the Russian Богдан which in Czech is Bohdan; or Russian Мирослав which in Polish is Mirosław; or Russian Владимир which in Ukrainian is Володимир, in Belarusian Уладзімер, and in Polish Włodzimierz.

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom View Post
    "Root" parent? Hmmm. Do you mean their father and mother or grandparents? I know that in some cultures you do NOT name the child after anyone who is currently living, so if you mean the child's mother and father... that would not be a tradition everywhere.
    In Russian this works both ways for grandparents and for parents. If a family has a tradition to name a boy after a grandfather then taking into account Russians' using patronymic the boy's and his grandfather's names would coincide totally as well as the names of the father and the grand-grandfather. On the other hand if a family like it is possible to name a boy after his father and we can take for example our newly elected old president "Владимир Владимирович".

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom View Post
    But then you get some Catholic families who all name the girls in the family Mary [something], like Mary Ellen, Mary Elizabeth, Mary Margaret, Mary Catherine... they are "called" by their middle name though.

I'm trying to remember... I believe it is Koreans who name the generation all the same name. I worked with a guy years ago who told me this. He and all of his siblings and cousins (male and female) all had the same name.
    According to what I read about Koreans these two cases are close to one another. A Korean name consist of three parts. First is the family name and the two other parts are the first name. The last part of the first name is shared among the siblings as a tradition.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Quote Originally Posted by capecoddah View Post
    Crocodile is a manifestation of the ancient Egyptian deity Sobek who was Nile River god, a powerful deity representing, in part, the military might of the Pharaohs. Some of the Egyptian myths state that Sobek came out of the water of chaos and created our world. (In the other myths it was Rah, but we'll read the right myths, won't we? All in all, the creation was a long process, so Sobek and Rah probably just shared some of the responsibilities.)

My name is Yuriy. It's one of the Russian forms of Greek name Georgos, wich means "farmer". English equivalent - George.

George (given name) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The name of George has variants in scores of other languages:

Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Подающий надежды оратор
    прияатно!!.

Ina
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    I have the same name - but the Northern European version, Johanna.
    Really? I though Johanna is BCS Jovana, Italian Giovanna.
    Johan (God is gracious, like in Ivana!!!!) = John (English)= Jovan (Serbian/Croatian/Macedonian), it's not Ivan.

I read somewhere that Ian is Ivan. Iana is here Jana (in English Jane).

I hope it's not confusing.... (:

Banned
    Originally Иван is a Jewish name and Johanna too. Both came for the name of God - Yahweh and the word gracious/mercy. The names literally can be translated as "God had mercy"
    Basically Ivan, Ivana and Johanna is kinda the same thing
    Russian analog of Johanna is Яна
    Ina likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12