Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Weather

Re: Weather

+39С today and according the forecast +41C tomorrow (humidity 50%). Almost all the grass is dry dead. Smoke from the burning peat (now in my town too ). Nights are very hot too. It was +32C today at 4am at my window thermometer. It's a hell.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Hanna

39!!! and humid OMG! Can't do anything in that kind of heat!

What's the general situation with air conditioning in Moscow? Is it common (or not?)

If not, I feel really sorry for you all...
    One month of summer left still!!

Has it ever been like this before?

There was a terrible heatwave about 3 years ago in London. All the shops ran out of fans! It took me a whole weekend to find one.

The absolute temperature record for Moscow is beaten already. Absolute means the highest temperature ever recorded.

It wouldn't be all that bad if there were no smoke. Smoke makes it far worse.

Air conditioning is rather abundant but not all households have them. Those who sell them are making huge profits right now, I imagine. I heard people have to wait 3-4 weeks to install them right now.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    Nights are very hot too.
    А в деревне сейчас лучше. Я был недавно в Тверской области, там днём тоже жарко, но вечером температура быстро падает до +17. А всё потому, что нет асфальта и больших каменных домов. В городе именно из-за них ночи жаркие.
    И в доме, несмотря на отсутствие кондиционера, вполне терпимо. Только не надо открывать окна в жару. Плюс двойные рамы для изоляции.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna
    What's the general situation with air conditioning in Moscow? Is it common (or not?)
    Rather common. Unfortunately my flat, my car and the office where I work haven't any. Not that I can't afford an AC, just thought that it's an unnecessary luxury stuff in Moscow climate. Now I think that I was mistaking.
    Has it ever been like this before?
    There were hot summers before but I can't remember this hot...
    All the shops ran out of fans! It took me a whole weekend to find one.
    The same here. There are big "NO FANS" signs at the shops' entrances. 1000 roubles (about $35) was a common price for a floor-standing fan. If you are lucky to find a shop that sells fans now the price will be about 4000-5000 roubles ($130-$170).
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Юрка
    И в доме, несмотря на отсутствие кондиционера, вполне терпимо. Только не надо открывать окна в жару.
    Не помогает. У меня в комнате стабильно 32-33 градуса даже ночью, воздух не успевает охлаждаться сам по себе. ((

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    Не помогает. У меня в комнате стабильно 32-33 градуса даже ночью, воздух не успевает охлаждаться сам по себе. ((
    А стены тонкие бетонные? У меня деревянные, поэтому внутри терпимо. В начале жары даже замерзал и спал под одеялом. В конце дом прогрелся до 25 градусов, но всё равно неплохо.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Those who sell them are making huge profits right now, I imagine. I heard people have to wait 3-4 weeks to install them right now.
    One of my friends owns a small buisness selling and installing air conditioners (there are about 15 employees). I met him recently and he told me that he earned about one million pure profit during last two months (in roubles of course). He is planning to purchase a plane now. I'm not joking.

Okay... power is FINALLY back on at my house.... they had to bring in power crews from 5 other states to help out with issue. currently... 91,874 electrical customers are still without power in my county alone (including 49 schools) along with 100 traffic lights dark, and 55 county roads are still blocked because of fallen trees or power lines. The sound of chain saws cutting up the fallen trees has now just become background noise to us.

Sadly, all of our food spoiled and our refrigerator and freezer looks as if we just bought them! On the bright side... a tree did not come crashing down on our house or car!! Several did on neighboring streets and it is so sad to see these both because of the damage caused and the trees were mostly large old oaks.

Now... I need to go back and read about the plagues that are happening in Moscow and get caught up on things!! Never heard of the term "peat" fire before... I need to read up on that one.

Try to stay cool all!
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Увлечённый спикер

Москва, спаленная пожаром...Народ, сочувствую вам очень. Похоже, только у нас на Кольском дожди и прохлада... Хотя в пятницу обещают до 30. Очень тяжело.
    Helping foreign learners with Russian via Skype.

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    Never heard of the term "peat" fire before... I need to read up on that one.
    It's when peat burn underground.
    Here's a picture, even though I don't understand the writings I'm sure you'll understand what's involved:

Here's how it looks like:

Hanna

Gosh, I have never heard of such a thing. Can you smell it too?

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna
    Gosh, I have never heard of such a thing. Can you smell it too?
    Absolutely. It is similar to the smell of the smoke you get when someone is burning their garbage. Tuesday afternoon, you still couldn't smell it in the part of Moscow where I live, because a heavy rain had rinsed out the smell out of the air on Monday, and then the wind kept carrying the smoke away. But by Tuesday night, the weather became still, no rains, no strong winds, and the smell was so strong my eyes started watering.

There is a conspirasy theory about the sourse of abnormal heat (published by "Komsomolskaya Pravda") :

That flood, the drought

Egyptian baked in the center of Russia - an incredible phenomenon! Researchers are looking for the cause of the phenomenon, proposing the most dramatic version, including weapons and the climate. The first came under suspicion notorious station HAARP, which "KP" wrote more than once (see website kp.ru). It is located in Alaska, 250 km northeast of Anchorage. In appearance this huge field of 14 hectares, dotted as cushion for needles, 180 antennas and 360 radio transmitters. The height of all the "needle" is 22 meters.

This mysterious antenna complex remembers each time on earth is happening something bad - or natural or man-made catastrophe on a large scale. Why do many researchers blame HAARP in climate change?

- The explanation of the Americans, that this station was built, ostensibly to study the auroras, not very hard to believe - meets fellow physics department of Moscow State University George Vassiliou. - Moreover, for some reason the station belongs to the military. In addition, the construction, designed to explore this is not the most complex natural phenomena, it took almost 20 (!) Years and 250 (!) Million dollars. Radiating in heaven 3600 kilowatts (up to 75 times more than commercial radio station), the station became the most powerful device in the world for the impact on the ionosphere. Some military experts believe that these weapons - geophysical or ionosphere. Furthermore, there was significant upheavals in Russia and the world began, oddly enough, just after 1997, when the station was launched. Most memorable:

- In 1997 - 1998's of the hurricane "El Niсo" raged over many cities, the total damages amounted to $ 20 billion;

- In 1999 Turkey earthquake 7.6 magnitude destroyed about 20 000 people;

- In 2003, Hurricane Isabel was named the most powerful and most deadly that claimed several thousand lives;

- In 2004, the eastern side of the Indonesian island of Sumatra occurred one of the strongest and most destructive earthquakes in modern history. Tidal waves caused by this earthquake measuring 9 points, claimed the lives of about 300,000 people;

- In 2005 in Pakistan earthquake with a magnitude of 7.6 has become the most powerful of all time seismic monitoring in South Asia. Killed more than 100 thousand people;

- In 2008 the unexpected awakening of the sleeping hundreds (!) Years of the volcano Chaiten in Chile;

- April 2010 - a volcanic eruption in Iceland, which led aviakollaps in Europe.

In May this year, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said on HAARP as a possible cause of the earthquakes in China and Haiti. His suspicions took up Western newspapers. And told (once again) that the American plant, not even included at full power, causing some flooding, hurricanes, the drought. In other words, is the climatic and tectonic weapons. And, "the latest data", Central Russia today is roasted on its use. Is this true?

"The subordination of weather by 2025"

A former military weather forecaster captain second rank, retired Nikolai Caravan that has no doubt.

- HAARP - the latest powerful weapon, the purpose and power of which are hidden, but today there is a real theoretical developments on climate weapons - he said the other day for the media. - They are based on the achievements of the civil authorities in the field of artificial influence on the climate and weather. There are far-reaching ideas - for example, creating a huge zone of high pressure obtained using the cosmic near-Earth space-power lasers. Beaufort impact (when the atmosphere is cleared of the clouds, and the zone is triggered by the impact of breakthrough heated air from adjacent areas) leads to the demoralization of the population and troops and the loss of the crop.

Asked whether there is documentary evidence of the existence of climatic weapons Karavaev said that officially climatic weapons are prohibited, but there is no ban on civilian development on the influence of the weather. He said the military kept these developments under its control.

Earlier this year in the world media, a report by analysts of the Air Force U.S. "Weather as a force multiplier: the subordination of weather by 2025". It describes the possible effects on climate and weather for combat purposes. In summary, the authors write that the U.S. would be nice to get out "of the Convention on the Prohibition of Military impact on the environment, and believe climatic weapons make the world such a coup as the first atomic bombs. And the fact that today there is no international regulatory documents on the subject, increases the risk of covert use of such weapons, including terrorist groups.

The attack on Moscow?

The present anomalous heat in Central Russia Karavayev links with climate arms, based on the facts.

- First, the weather report shows: while in Moscow, the heat reaches 35 - 36 degrees in Berlin - 18, Warsaw - 25, Vienna - 20, Paris - 20 degrees Celsius. That is to attack acts locally and purposefully. Secondly, the cause of weeks of heat was a giant cyclone hovering over the European part of Russia and the "uploaders" hot air from the Mediterranean and Central Asia. Such cyclones are never hung. Thirdly, in the zone of anomalous cyclone as the scientists say, part of the earth's atmosphere at one time fell by a record 43 years of observations values. Cataclysm occurred in the thermosphere - Thin layer located at a height of 90 - 600 km. It protects the planet from ultraviolet radiation. Natural explanation of such a reduction is not. One last thing: on the eve of the current extreme weather events in space launched a new U.S. unmanned spacecraft X-37B, able to carry powerful laser weapon. Mission

X-37B is highly classified, the duration of the flight, too, are not reported. According to some reports, automatic vehicle will hold a space not less than 270 days, after which their own land in one of the bases of the U.S. Air Force. A comparison of these facts leads to the thought of the possibility of testing a new climate of Russia weapons. And because it is untested, then at the same time and goes to other regions.

EXPERT OPINION

Director of the Institute of Applied Geophysics, Hydromet, Professor Vladimir Lapshin:

- Nonsense! In the past two years, these rumors also circulated. And they contradict the logic. Then, in the U.S. was the heat of 50 degrees. Today if you look at the map of air temperature anomalies in the world over in June 2010 (for July yet the outcome is not summed), compiled by the National Climatic Data Center (USA), then on it can be clearly seen: the temperature is kept above the norm in America (see website kp.ru). Well, Americans against their weapons have? First decided to destroy himself, and then we? Just today it so happened that a huge cyclone is over the European part of Russia and not moving. Previously, it was the mixing of air masses, because the summer temperature was about 25 degrees. And now the air is warm and. That in August may moves - then everything about climatic weapons immediately forgotten.

Noooooooooooooooo! Make it stop!

The National Weather Service has issued a SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING for
    Montgomery County. At 12:29PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated a thunderstorm
    approaching the County which has intensified past severe limits. This storm will
    move through areas from North to South over the next hour and a half.

Damaging wind, hail, and significant cloud to ground lightning is occurring with
    this storm. All outdoor activities in the following areas should be postponed
    until this storm passes.

Severe Thunderstorms can produce tornadoes with little or no advanced warning.
    Residents are urged to seek safe shelter indoors until the storm passes and
    remain alert for any additional warnings.
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Quoth Basil77:
    There is a conspiracy theory about the source of abnormal heat (published by "Komsomolskaya Pravda")
    No, no, no... Ask Al Gore.

I'd imagine the smoke smells like the Everglades when they burn.

Drink plenty of water.
    I'm easily amused late at night...

http://www.1tv.ru/news/social/158584

In the first minute or so of this video you can see a what remains of a village that was hit by what is described as essentially a tornado of fire. Putin promised that all houses will be rebuilt by winter and the people will receive 200K rubles per family member. Will that happen??
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

A friend in Ryazan sent this video to me:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCFOBKdK ... re=related

I was wondering about insurance in Russia. If my house catches fire, I call the insurance company. It's a nightmare I don't want to live through, but my house and all the stuff in it is protected.

200,000 rubles= (£4,200) (6,600.66 USD) WTF?

Replacement Cost Less Depreciation $166,300/ Replacement Cost $195,632 (my house, just the building, not "stuff" inside)
    I'm easily amused late at night...

Quote Originally Posted by sperk
    Putin promised that all houses will be rebuilt by winter and the people will receive 200K rubles per family member. Will that happen??
    Probably yes, these houses are built quickly - they simply bring the walls and the roof and assemble the whole thing on site. And 200K roubles is only about $6,500 - not much.

Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by capecoddah
    There is a conspiracy theory about the source of abnormal heat
    No need for a conspiracy theory, it's the truth, and it's global warming!
    When will people wake up and realise that we are slowly pushing the Earth over the brink..? These heatwaves are probably just the beginning. When the ice starts melting on the Poles, then every coastal city in the world will be flooded!

What if Russia will have to cope with a summer like this every year?

I don't think Russia is one of the countries that have contributed the most to global warming; seems a bit unfair this should hit Russia.
    Meanwhile in London we are having a comfortable 22 degrees.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast