Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Unusual Moscow metro train and metro stations elsewhere.

Unusual Moscow metro train and metro stations elsewhere.

I had a trip in Moscow metro today, and the train appeared rather unusual. I rarely go by metro and was slightly surprized. I'v made several shots with my cellphone:

Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Завсегдатай

Re: Unusual Moscow metro train.

I've seen this train, too, several times. Yes, it's very unusual.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Завсегдатай

I've seen it too. Maybe there is more than one train like this.

OMG! Basil, THANK YOU!

I have been in subways/metros in Washington, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, and Paris...and I have NEVER seen anything like that. The station is sooooo clean! You all would die in a New York or Chicago station!

Do you all have any of the video commercials in the tunnels like these?

New York
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOsBLC72iDc

Here is a video that explains how it is all done
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoDEoZoKmcA
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    The station is sooooo clean!
    All metro stations in Moscow and StPete are very clean and most of them are very beautiful.

I didn't even understood first what it was. No, there is no anything like that in Russian metro (at least in two cities I've mentioned).
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

No. But I'v heard about this tech from a friend who saw such a thing in Beijing.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Hanna

@Rockzmom - The Moscow subway (underground) is legendary actually. So far as I know it's supposed to be the most elegant looking metro in Europe.

I haven't been to Moscow but I have heard that there are crystal chandeliers in some of the stations, and lots of marble and murals.

Speaking of which -- what happened to those Stalin murals that some people wanted to restore... That was in the papers here in the UK. Did the murals get restored in the end and if so, what do they look like?

If anybody feels inspired, please post some pics of this metro, I'd love to see what it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    Speaking of which -- what happened to those Stalin murals that some people wanted to restore... That was in the papers here in the UK. Did the murals get restored in the end and if so, what do they look like?
    All this paper hype was about just one line from the Stalin-times anthem that was carved on the wall of one of the stations. After Khrushchev exposed the cult of personality the carved words were changed. About a month ago the station was open after restoration (it was closed for several years) and everyone have seen that the originally carved words were "mysteriously" restored :

As for me, I'm not very happy with this fact, but I think that there is too much noise that "liberal society" made from this.

Hanna

Ok, thanks! Well that's not much to be dramatic about regardless of ones opinion about Stalin.

Actually from the papers I got the impression that it was a mural, e.g. some kind of wall picture of Stalin looking heroic...! The UK papers love to imagine that Putin is some kind of new Stalin, etc, etc. etc.... So this piece of news fitted quite well into the general mood of the reporting about Russia...

So ARE there chrystal chanderliers in the Moscow metro, or is this an "urban myth"? Which is the best looking station?

So ARE there chrystal chanderliers in the Moscow metro, or is this an "urban myth"? Which is the best looking station?
    I'm not shure they are chrystal or not but there are plenty of such old-palace-fashion stuff in the central stations wich were built during Stalin times. I like "Площадь Революции" station and the tradition connected with it:

There was a topic about that on this forum:

http://masterrussian.net/mforum/view...p?f=47&t=17272

This is a very interesting site about Moscow Metro
    http://www.metro.ru/

Unfortunately it's in Russian.
    This link leads directly to the stations list:
    http://www.metro.ru/stations/
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Подающий надежды оратор

very interesting...but i hope they keep that commercial crap outside the metros of saint p and moscow

on that note I hope that the westernization of those cities will not ruin those clean architectural beauties

Подающий надежды оратор

while i read this topic, i for some reason think about one interesting book: "метро 2033". It's about after nuclear war time, when all survivers take cover into the metro...
    trust no one

Hanna

Very elegant!

I think I must have mixed up the St Petersburg and Moscow metro when I was writing earlier. I have been to St Petersburg and we did use the metro but I just don't remember it looking this glamorous!! Perhaps I travelled from an uglier station. The trains look exactly like the Stockholm metro trains from my childhood. But they got replaced in the 1990s.

ST PETERSBURG METRO:

Meanwhile in London..... (bear in mind that this underground system is VERY old and the largest in the world. That's its' excuse....!)

Just to add Toronto subway to the collection... Not even close to Moscow metro...

Well, as Croc & Johanna posted about their's... I'll "brag" about my Metro stop as it is something to brag about.

The Metro stop closest to me is Wheaton, and it actually has the longest set of single-span escalators in the Western Hemisphere! Each featuring a length of 508 feet (155 m) and a (presumably) vertical rise of 230 feet (70 m ). That's almost the length of two football fields and takes almost three and a half minutes to ride it! Everyday you see people actually walking UP these steps and it is very funny. They start of all full of energy and then about part way up they run out of gas! Usually people do trot down them at a good pace (including me) but you need to keep a fixed point as to not get dizzy. http://media.www.gwhatchet.com/media...r-989091.shtml

Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

The Metro stop closest to me is Wheaton, and it actually has the longest set of single-span escalators in the Western Hemisphere!
    Last time I had been using St Peter's metro their escalators seemed endless! I think one of their stations was more than 100 meters deep.

Подающий надежды оратор

Re: Unusual Moscow metro train and metro stations elsewhere.

I can attest to that! I now ride the St. Petersburg Metro every day and it almost takes 5 minutes just to get down the escalator. Чернышевская especially seems endless to me for some reason.

Почтенный гражданин

The trains look exactly like the Stockholm metro trains from my childhood. But they got replaced in the 1990s.
    In Moscow metro this process is alredy began. Almost all trains of Арбатско-покоровская line (blue line on the scheme) have a modern design (they are white and "plastic"; see the first photo in this thread).

Re: Unusual Moscow metro train and metro stations elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile
    The Metro stop closest to me is Wheaton, and it actually has the longest set of single-span escalators in the Western Hemisphere!
    Last time I had been using St Peter's metro their escalators seemed endless! I think one of their stations was more than 100 meters deep.
    I can attest to that! I now ride the St. Petersburg Metro every day and it almost takes 5 minutes just to get down the escalator. Чернышевская especially seems endless to me for some reason.
    Well, after seeing the photos Johanna posted and what everyone wrote, I went hunting online and found out some pretty interesting facts about the St. Pete's Metro!

http://www.nevanews.com/index.php?id...541&section=14
    • Plans for St. Petersburg’s first metro existed as early as 1899[/*:m:25p6r5zp]
    • The system opened on 15 November 1955 with just eight stations[/*:m:25p6r5zp]
    • This creative work includes mosaic panels, basreliefs, monuments, columns, arched ceilings and bronze chandeliers[/*:m:25p6r5zp]

AND...
    • It is one of the deepest metro systems in the world due to the hydrogeological conditions of the area, since the "Venice of the North" was built around a huge, branching river and swamp on a multitude of islands. As a result of this enormous depth the St. Petersburg metro can also boast some exceptionally long escalators among its 200 in total; the maximum being 132m![/*:m:25p6r5zp]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast