Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking about possible travel to the US - some question

This thread is supposed to be about visiting the US, not Russia, how did it get reversed to visiting Russia?

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by chaika View Post
    This thread is supposed to be about visiting the US, not Russia, how did it get reversed to visiting Russia?
    Guilty but there'a a new thread now created:

Can you please start a new thread with the cultural differences you mentioned? I'm going to Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus for the first time in a few weeks so am very interested in hearing about the differences. I'm an American.

Thank you,

Scott

I wouldn't worry too much. Millions (62,000,000 in 2011) of tourists visit the USA without incident every year.
    It all depends where you go too. Washington DC, New York City, Most of Florida, most cities have areas where there are loads of visitors and handle them well. There are parts of those areas I wouldn't go to as well.

53 cm? odd number. Don't sit next to someone on an empty bus, on a packed subway there is no choice in the matter but as stated previously, we like our space.

Men-only hotel? Gay. Or a "Flop-House".

I don't let my maids in occupied rooms so that bit is strange. Hotels are in the business of making guest feel comfortable.

Relax, enjoy your self, but keep your head on your shoulders. News is mostly bad stuff that happens, like Americans getting ripped off in Russia and mauled by bears in the street.

Where would you like to visit? I'm sure you could get some good local advice here at Master Russian. I'd be happy to help you with the New England area.
    I'm easily amused late at night...

Capecoddah is correct.

The main tourist areas people are usually happy to help others.

We know you are lost and need directions at the same time.

The thieves know you are tourists and will steal your cell phones/camera/wallets if you give them a chance. As he said, you need to keep your head on your shoulders, but have a good time.

The different areas of the US have different feels, example, here in then Washington, DC, there are some places where we go that are supper friendly, people smile at you just to be nice and they open doors for you and say hello for no reason at all and will help you with your things and not try to steal them. You could leave your cell phone on the table in the mall and no one will steal it. Then you drive about 20 minutes away and they don't do any of those things and if you even thought about putting your cell phone down for a second, it would be gone before it hit the table. We have to remind ourselves which area we are in sometimes when people start being so nice to us for no reason.
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12