Thread: I'm thinking about getting a tattoo.

Почётный участник

I'm thinking about getting a tattoo.

I want to get a tatoo of something in Russian on my forearm, but I want to make sure that when I go to get "Truth" or something that they don't tattoo "monkey butt" on my arm.

Here are some words that I'm thinking about getting. I've looked most of them up on www.freetranslation.com, but I don't really trust it for something this serious and permenant:

Honor
    Trust
    Truth
    Valor
    Honesty
    Passion
    Justice
    Toast/Toaster (if there is a more colloquial version other than тост/тостер)

Властелин
    I searched through my dictionary (Lingvo) to see what is "valor" and didn't notice it was switched to German. I was soo astonished you decided to tattoo "capital issues"
    Honor Честь
    Trust Доверие, Вера (two different meanings!)
    Truth Правда, Истина (two different meanings!)
    Valor Мужество
    Honesty Честность
    Passion Страсть
    Justice Справедливость
    Toast/Toaster (if there is a more colloquial version other than тост/тостер) there is no better version than тостер

JB
    Старший оракул
    Aside from the ex-cons and guys in the military, are tatoos very popular in Russia? In California they are very popular but in Russia I haven't seen them on so many people, and I don't think I've seen any on girls.
    Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by JB
    Aside from the ex-cons and guys in the military, are tatoos very popular in Russia? In California they are very popular but in Russia I haven't seen them on so many people, and I don't think I've seen any on girls.
    They are probably a bit less popular than in California, but I did see a few, also on girls, last time I was back home in Ukraine and several girls I knew like 10 years back had some, too. As both demand and supply picks up, I suspect we'll be seeing still more in the future.

Почтенный гражданин
    If I see a person with the tatoo "Вера" or "Справедливость", I will be pretty sure that he is an ex-convict. As I can see tatoos are not very popular here; and people who want to get it prefer some pictures to russian words in their tatoos
    My favourite russian tatoo is "Не забуду мать родную". You will have a deep respect in Russia if you get this one

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Rostova
    If I see a person with the tatoo "Вера" or "Справедливость", I will be pretty sure that he is an ex-convict. As I can see tatoos are not very popular here; and people who want to get it prefer some pictures to russian words in their tatoos
    My favourite russian tatoo is "Не забуду мать родную". You will have a deep respect in Russia if you get this one
    Oh yes, definitely. ANY russian word, especially standing alone in capital letters, hints at being an ex-convict. Typically those have a second "hidden abbreviation" meaning, e.g.:

http://tatoo.h1.ru/criminal/abbreviat.htm

so if you are thinking about doing something like that maybe you should think again

Властелин
    A lot of people care less and less about what meaning their tattoos bear. They just select a tattoo they like best and get it made.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

Quote Originally Posted by Rostova
    Небольшое дополнение из http://education.kulichki.net/profi/pri4.html
    "...Второе классическое правило воровского братства - не имей семьи. До 70-х годов законникам запрещалось жениться, иметь детей и даже поддерживать связь с родителями. Считается, что известная татуировка "Не забуду мать родную" имеет несколько иной смысл. Под "матерью" понималась воровская семья, которая вскормила и воспитала..."
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)