Thread: Studying Russian Abroad?

Почётный участник

Studying Russian Abroad?

Who has studied Russian abroad? At what programs? What was your level of Russian when you entered (and left?)? And how was your experience?

I'd really like more information about programs in the Moscow area.

I want to get as much language into my head in the next two years as possible, and in the most affordable way. My goal is to speak 'fluently' -- as in with ease, but not like a native -- by next September. It's going to be a lot of work!

http://www.ruslanguage.ru/

In 2003 I went to Moscow for a month. I took one-on-one instruction because I knew Russian pretty well. I met a lot of other students, mostly college and in their 20s, but a few older ones, like myself. I had a good time with the group and the classes, which did help me with my Russian. I stayed at a homestay, which is what I would recommend to anyone, because you get more chance to talk one on one with people.

The school organized a couple of nice trips, one of which was to take the train to Petersburg for a few days.

I did not go as part of a university organized group, and I could select my own time and duration, which is just what I wanted. The classes are in a building of Moscow State U. Although my homestay was on the opposite end of town, it only took 30 min on the metro and a couple of short walks to reach class. I was actually surprised at how well the transportation worked.

I posted a link to my photos here on this site in the photographs section, or topic.

Re: Studying Russian Abroad?

Quote Originally Posted by demoiselle
    Who has studied Russian abroad? At what programs? What was your level of Russian when you entered (and left?)? And how was your experience?

I want to get as much language into my head in the next two years as possible, and in the most affordable way. My goal is to speak 'fluently' -- as in with ease, but not like a native -- by next September. It's going to be a lot of work!
    in parallel to other methods, I urge you to try the Pimsleur Audio method. It is the best to my knowledge to learn to speak fluently. but you don't learn much vocab

Почётный участник

Quote Originally Posted by Mordan

in parallel to other methods, I urge you to try the Pimsleur Audio method. It is the best to my knowledge to learn to speak fluently. but you don't learn much vocab
    I was the one who started the monster Pimsleur thread. So I've used it already. I agree that it helped a lot with my pronouncation.

Подающий надежды оратор

Hi. I have asked this many times, and really have never gotten a good answer from people. Allow me to give you my take:
    I have studied Russian for 2 years, and in August of this year I moved to SPB to attend SPB State University. I study 5 days a week, 3 hours per day.
    Monday-conversation
    Tues-Grammer
    Wed-Grammer/writting
    Thurs-Phonetics/reading
    Fri-Lit
    Here is SPB, there are not that many foreigners. In fact, when ever I start speaking, everyone with in distance will turn and stare at you the whole time. This was REALLY hard to get used to. I am still not totally comfortable. For this reason, I think you need at least 1 year here. Only after a while do you truely begin to get comfortable.
    With that said. In 3 months here, my hearing has improved massively. I would say that even though I don't understand most things, I can at least hear each word spoken.
    Simple phrases, basic grammer, and basic automatic responces are easier day by day.
    My vocab, I would say has increased by 150-200 words (yes not much, but I know these inside and out, probably passively I have 250 words total).
    My professor told me that if you spend one year in Russia, this was after two years of studying, I should have everything in the first two year down pat.
    In other words, I should be able to pass the TORFL 1.
    If you have any questions, let me know.

Ty
    Почётный участник
    I get bored with Pimsleur because they talk about "meetings" too much.

For vocab I liked Rosetta stone, but for speaking the only thing that helps me is to practice with Russian friends. Just listening doesn't do much.
    I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened. -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Ty
    For vocab I liked Rosetta stone, but for speaking the only thing that helps me is to practice with Russian friends. Just listening doesn't do much.
    It's true, but you have to listen and repeat, listen and repeat, and so on... I promise it'll help your speach.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Властелин

Who has studied Russian abroad?
    I've studied a Russian broad, if that counts.
    Corrupting young minds since May 6, 2004.

Подающий надежды оратор
    I haven't studied Russian in Moscow, but in St. Petersburg I did the the "Info Study" program (http://www.infortravel.com/infostudy) and in Kiev I studied at the "Nova Mova" language school (http://www.ils.kiev.ua). They're both pretty small but have excellent teachers. I recommend them if you're considering either of those cities.

Почётный участник
    Thank you for the information!