Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why am I studying Russian?

Почтенный гражданин

Why am I studying Russian?

The important languages of the 21st Century are and WILL BE English, Chinese, Hispanic, and Arabic. What second language do you think would be most beneficial FOR YOU to know?
    DO IT YOURSELF!

Завсегдатай

Re: Why am I studying Russian?

Quote Originally Posted by Siriusly
    The important languages of the 21st Century are and WILL BE English, Chinese, Hispanic, and Arabic. What second language do you think would be most beneficial FOR YOU to know?
    В Новой Зеландии было бы очень полезно уметь говорить или по-китайски или по-корейски. У нас много иммигрантов из этих стран, и отношения между нашими странами становятся ближе каждый день.

Почётный участник

LOL Hispanic.

I believe its called Spanish. But you made me laugh.
    I agree with you in general that English is important to learn coming from someone who lives in the USA. And if you stay around enough yes, Spanish will be very important here as well.
    I have an understanding of both, due to the fact that I am from the southwest.

Never really thought about what languages would be important world wide......

Почтенный гражданин

Wow! Interesting opinion.

How do you define "important"? (literature?... business?... power?... etc.?)

My thoughts...

Chinese, for business and economic reasons.

English also, for business and literature.

Russian, French, and German... for literature, science, and philosophy. "The Classics." These books, writings, will always be important and influential.

Spanish... important also, for business reasons, because of resources in Spanish-speaking countries... but I wouldn't write "Hispanic"... I'd write "Spanish", to include all the countries.

Почтенный гражданин

Are you serious? What about Japanese?
    Я взял палку и нож, мелки и бумагу и направился к холмам.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by shadow1
    Are you serious? What about Japanese?
    And what about Russian?
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Увлечённый спикер
    What about Welsh?
    One day, when I write brilliant Russian I will put some Russian text here. However, I can't promise that it will be in anyway witty.

Please correct my Russian. I implore you fellow human.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagest
    What about Welsh?
    Is it a language??!
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Завсегдатай
    What about Welsh?
    Welsh and Russian are not commensurable.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Увлечённый спикер
    Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    What about Welsh?
    Is it a language??!
    Oh yes, it's taught in Welsh schools these days.

if you're slightly interested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/learnwelsh/

Olya, I was only joking.

One day, when I write brilliant Russian I will put some Russian text here. However, I can't promise that it will be in anyway witty.

Dagest, language and dialect are different things. For me even Ukrainian doesn't look "languagable" enoth.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Увлечённый спикер
    Dagest, language and dialect are different things.
    I know that Basil. I promise you Welsh is a language!

Look:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/history/site ... tree.shtml

Dagest, language and dialect are different things.
    I know that Basil. I promise you Welsh is a language!

Look:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/history/site ... tree.shtml
    Well, I was wrong. You win. But my opinion is still with me.

Почтенный гражданин
    There is no "most important language"... every language is important.

Each language can speak to different parts of the heart, mind and soul. Each language is important, and has value.

Pushkin, Gogol, and Dostoevsky can reach places in my soul that Shakespeare, Twain, and Faulkner can't... and the reverse is true also.

Kepler, Voltair, Homer, Sun Tzu, Confucious, Aristotle, Plato, Plutarch and many others, speaking in different languages... the list is endless... they also speak to my soul. All are important.

The ideas and thoughts of the Soul are universal... no language is more important than another. All languages are part of the "Great Conversation"... the debates and discussions that will continue as long as humans are alive.

Too intense?

Dagest, language and dialect are different things. For me even Ukrainian doesn't look "languagable" enoth.
    Если ты считаешь украинский язык диалектом русского, то другие могут считать русский - диалектом украинского. Кстати, мы все помним, что Русь изначально была Киевской.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Кстати, мы все помним, что Русь изначально была Киевской.
    Русский, украинский и белорусский - диалекты церковнославянского

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Если ты считаешь украинский язык диалектом русского, то другие могут считать русский - диалектом украинского. Кстати, мы все помним, что Русь изначально была Киевской.
    Ну это уже совсем за уши притянуто. Старославянский язык, на котором тогда говорили, гораздо дальше от современного русского, чем те же украинский и белорусский. Разделение произошло уже после падения Киевской Руси. На эту тему можно очень много дискутировать, но тогда лучше создать отдельный топик, чтоб не флудить тут.
    Украинская мова до последнего времени была в ходу преимущественно в сельской местности, как разговорный язык. Мне один знакомый преподаватель из Харьковского технического вуза рассказывал, как они вешались, когда их заставили перейти на преподавание на украинской мове. Для обозначения 90% технических терминов просто нет необходимой лексики! Приходилось коверкать русские слова на украинский манер. Иногда получались такие "перлы", что студенты в аудитории, когда им читали такие лекции просто валились со смеху(не говоря о том что толку от такого "преподавания" никакого). И это по-твоему полноценный язык?

Quote Originally Posted by Dobry
    There is no "most important language"... every language is important.

Each language can speak to different parts of the heart, mind and soul. Each language is important, and has value.

Pushkin, Gogol, and Dostoevsky can reach places in my soul that Shakespeare, Twain, and Faulkner can't... and the reverse is true also.

Kepler, Voltair, Homer, Sun Tzu, Confucious, Aristotle, Plato, Plutarch and many others, speaking in different languages... the list is endless... they also speak to my soul. All are important.

The ideas and thoughts of the Soul are universal... no language is more important than another. All languages are part of the "Great Conversation"... the debates and discussions that will continue as long as humans are alive.

Too intense?
    I think the dude is talking in a geopolitical sense. Obviously all art and literature is best in their own language and therefore they will always be "important". I don't know if Arabic/Spanish will be that much more important than Russian/French/Japanese. I even doubt Chinese can disrupt the current dominance of the English language. I mean, most countries have already started good foundations to teach English, including China.
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Подающий надежды оратор
    Basil77, твои доводы ни к чему не приведут. Это очень правильная мысль что ни один язык не лучше другого, просто каждый занял определенное место в истории.
    Вообще спор русского и украинца начавшись из маленькой искры может полыхнуть страниц на 50 топика и охватить все стороны исторического, культурного и бытового сосуществования народов.

А использование доводов вроде того про Киевскую Русь вообще напоминает мне спор о том, что появилось раньше - яйцо, или курица
    Please, correct my English. Many thanks

... Для обозначения 90% технических терминов просто нет необходимой лексики! ....И это по-твоему полноценный язык?
    По такой логике большая часть языков в мире - неполноценные. А русский стал полноценным, когда в него ввели эти самые термины.
    Украинский язык красивый. Послушай украинские песни - согласишься.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast