Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Russian Adoption

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil View Post
    Offtopic mode
    Some questions:
    1) As a programmer, do YOU always include exception handlers for the 'out of memory' error? Do you make them so sophisticated that they even try to terminate other processes? Do you handle 'access denied' errors within your 'out of memory' exception handler when it tries to terminate something? And how terminating other processes will help you in getting more virtual address space for your particular application?
    2) Ever heard of interlocked (cross-referenced) resources with no accessible valid handlers?
    1. Speaking about me, I don't ALWAYS do that. But technically it's absolutely real, and not as difficult and sophisticated as you may think. "Access denied" can be handled locally, without an exception handler for that; in addition, ever heard of such things as OS kernel, drivers, R0? If so, you must not have any questions on the further.

2. Specify the kind of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    1. Speaking about me, I don't ALWAYS do that. But technically it's absolutely real, and not as difficult and sophisticated as you may think. "Access denied" can be handled locally, without an exception handler for that; in addition, ever heard of such things as OS kernel, drivers, R0? If so, you must not have any questions on the further.

2. Specify the kind of resources.

OS Kernel (what is it, by the way in your analogy?) would either terminate the buggy application or do nothing. It won't help the USA.exe to start working normally.
    COM object A has a reference to COM object B while COM object B has a reference to COM object A. No external references remain. A COM object is released when its reference counter is zero. Since object A still has at least 1 valid reference as well as object B, their reference counters cannot be zeroed. The memory won't be released until the system restarts. That IS called a memory leak. Fairly common among inexperienced programmers. And you cannot clear that memory because OS kernel won't let you. General protection fault on early systems or access denied on newer ones is guaranteed.

Back to the first off-topic. What makes you think that the USA 'developers' had put all these exception handlers before they compiled the whole stuff? What I saw in the past several weeks was more like 'dirty hacking' than even debugging.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Подающий надежды оратор
    I'd rather take my chances in Russia, in Moscow. Where i grew up. I don't really care whats going on. We'll get through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slavsia.rus View Post
    I'd rather take my chances in Russia, in Moscow. Where i grew up. I don't really care whats going on. We'll get through it.
    Welcome back Sorry for the off-topic.

Властелин
    OS Kernel (what is it, by the way in your analogy?) would either terminate the buggy application or do nothing. It won't help the USA.exe to start working normally.
    COM object A has a reference to COM object B while COM object B has a reference to COM object A. No external references remain. A COM object is released when its reference counter is zero. Since object A still has at least 1 valid reference as well as object B, their reference counters cannot be zeroed. The memory won't be released until the system restarts. That IS called a memory leak. Fairly common among inexperienced programmers. And you cannot clear that memory because OS kernel won't let you. General protection fault on early systems or access denied on newer ones is guaranteed.

Back to the first off-topic. What makes you think that the USA 'developers' had put all these exception handlers before they compiled the whole stuff? What I saw in the past several weeks was more like 'dirty hacking' than even debugging.
    1. I meant you could run your code at the same privilege level as the kernel, and use kernel functions as well as accessing kernel objects directly. Then you usually have no problems with doing whatever you wish to any processes, etc.

2. As you might have noticed, I've been talking about a bit more low-level programming than COM programming. After all, you can always tell the OS a certain range of memory is to be freed.

Then, well, speaking in terms of COM programming, such memory leaks do really look lame. But what makes you think the developers are so unexperienced? And why do you think they would use COM model?

Почтенный гражданин
    Speaking in programmer terms, US as an app has accumulated many memory leaks and now the heap is nearly full of interlocked objects. You'll soon need to terminate and debug it. Or even reboot the whole system.
    LOLOL i read this thread from work, was gonna go home and type.. pretty much what you said =))

The ridiculous foreign debt is like a giant memory leak, and so far we've already dished out all RAM access and most of the virtual memory ... =\ Where do we get 2/3x our countries' worth to pay back to foreign debtors? <checks wallet>
    luck/life/kidkboom
    Грязные башмаки располагают к осмотрительности в выборе дороги. /*/ Muddy boots choose their roads with wisdom. ;

Quote Originally Posted by kidkboom View Post
    LOLOL i read this thread from work, was gonna go home and type.. pretty much what you said =))

The ridiculous foreign debt is like a giant memory leak, and so far we've already dished out all RAM access and most of the virtual memory ... =\ Where do we get 2/3x our countries' worth to pay back to foreign debtors? <checks wallet>
    The FRS will print some, I'm sure

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    After all, you can always tell the OS a certain range of memory is to be freed.
    Sure, things like social security, pensions, aids etc. I'm sure they will.

Hanna
    I think it's tragic, what's happened to the USA. It used to stand for a model that was perhaps not for everyone, but basically a decent country where people could come, work hard and start a new life, practice whatever religion or ideals they choose. (with the exception of black people perhaps, but it's unfair to bring that up now...)
    America used to mind it's own business. But after the WW2, things have just gone downhill, it seems to me.

I think in the mind of many Americans it's still that righteous country that it used to be, but in reality, for people who are a bit more objective it's becoming more unpleasant each year. Starting with things like McCarthy, Vietnam, all the dodgy dealings in South & Central America, lack of interest in protecting the environment, the wars in the middle east, dodgy financial deals and serious meddling in just about every country on earth. The US is now run more or less by banks and big corporations, and the general idea they are trying to "sell" is that what's good for banking and the corporations is good for everyone in the country. Clearly not true. The greed of these organisations has killed just about everything good that the US once stood for. Sadly many Americans are too busy working their butts of with practically no holiday and too poorly educated by the school system there to even realise. The presidents mostly seem to be puppets in the hands of interests stronger and more influential than themselves.

If I was going to move somewhere to start a new life, I'd consider Canada or Australia but not the US because I honestly don't see how it can continue much longer on the road that it's currently on.

But there are some parts of the US that seem really charming and interesting, that I'd really love to visit some day. I am particularly fascinated by Alaska, Appalachia and Idaho! The last places on earth I'd like to visit would be LA and Las Vegas after what I've read about them. And I have met many very nice, very genuine Americans so I think it's a real shame what's happening.

I am not speaking from any high horse position either, looking at my own country it's very clear that it's gone off the track quite badly over the last couple of decades, although in a different way than the US, and of course, it's not affecting the rest of the world. Only China seems to be undoubtedly getting better.

Подающий надежды оратор
    It is fine. I appreciate your input.

Banned
    If I'm not mistaken adoption of Russian children is tricky for foreign people. The worst part is - foreigners cannot legally adopt healthy Russian child, meaning they can only adopt a child with some health or mental problems
    Obviously all this leads to illegal adoption

Подающий надежды оратор
    I will find a way. When we move back it will be easier.

Hanna
    Quote Originally Posted by Slavsia.rus View Post
    I will find a way. When we move back it will be easier.
    How is your Russian? A bit rusty? I noticed that you seem to prefer to write in English... I am in the process of moving back to my country and it's not completely easy to get back into the language when you've been away for a long time. Particularly technology and slang vocabulary has changed.

Подающий надежды оратор
    My Russian is fine. I like to write in English. Why? But yes the Russian slang has changed a bit I don't quite understand these kids.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12