Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian Adoption

Подающий надежды оратор

Russian Adoption

So here's the thing, my wife and I want to have another child but she wants to adopt this time. I want to adopt from my home country and she does also but we can't seem to find a Russian adoption agency that has any available adoptions. I've called my mother and grandparents in Moscow to see if they know of any and neither of them know of one around them. My grandmother doesn't like the idea of adopting a child, she believes that the child should be of my own blood so she wouldn't tell me if she did know. My mother and father don't care as long as I'm adopting a Russian child. I'm hoping to find a little girl and I'm going to name Her Svetlana Aleksandra, After my mother and grandmother. So getting back on topic, does anyone know of adoption agencies? (Travel is not a problem).

Hanna
    I am sure you can easily find something if you use google or yandex. However I think you should be very careful about this.
    It's clearly a sensitive issue in Russia. Little babies are being adopted to a former enemy country and in some cases treated very poorly.
    It seems Russia is beginning to rethink foreign adoptions. Also, it is very expensive to adopt so you had best start saving!

There were several awful cases of Russian children who was adopted by American citizens ending up dead (in many cases it was due to neglegence and once the child was beaten to death). One 'mother' simply put the adopted child on the plane and sent him (or her - I don't remember) back to Russia with a note.
    So there are very strict rules of adoption right now. In fact, an adopted child would keep its Russian citizenship till he (or she) is 18 years old (by the agreement signed just recently by our presidents). There will be many checks and you'll need a lot of proofs that you won't mistreat the child and generally - prepare to go through a bureaucratic hell. The adoption agencies are looking with suspicion at every new potential parent. Especially when they happen to be Americans.
    Still, I don't know if it is such a big problem to find the agency because just one search on Google revealed this.

Nevertheless, I advise you to come here, to Russia and go looking not through the agency but through numerous orphans' houses here, in Russia. If you CAN travel here I think that in the end it might save you the money you would pay to an agency.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Well my wife and I would LIKE to move BACK to Russia eventually. We want to get out of here before things get worse and we lose everything we've worked for here. But my family is in Russia and is most of hers. So i'm thinking that I should just wait to adopt a child untill the move is final and we are settled back in Moscow. Does that sound like a good idea? My wife does NOT like that idea because she wants a baby NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Slavsia.rus View Post
    Well my wife and I would LIKE to move BACK to Russia eventually. We want to get out of here before things get worse and we lose everything we've worked for here.
    While some people I know want to pack and move to US 'before things get worse and they lose everything they've worked for here', some people want the opposite. Isn't it odd? What interesting times we were privileged to live in! No, my sarcasm here is only partial.
    Come on then, come here, to Moscow, and try to ride these times through in Russia.

No, seriously, is it THAT bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Ramil View Post
    While some people I know want to pack and move to US 'before things get worse and they lose everything they've worked for here', some people want the opposite. Isn't it odd? What interesting times we were privileged to live in!
    The grass is always greener on the other side.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Где нас нет
    Леонид Радзиховский "Эхо Москвы"

Погромы в Англии…
    Если бы такое же проявление гражданского общества (без всяких кавычек – это же британские граждане организовались сами. Или все-таки в Лондоне - рука ФСБ?) имело место в России – что бы мы читали и слыхали в СМИ? И про вековую отсталость, и про «бессмысленный и беспощадный», и про свирепую, но бессильную полицейскую власть, и про русских нацистов, и про кавказских дикарей. И про гибнущую окончательно Россию…
    И крики: «Все, хватит! Балеты долго я терпел, но вот – билеты заимел! В Европу, немедленно в цивилизованную Европу, которая с брезгливым ужасом глядит на это чисто русское свинство! Прощай, немытая Россия!».

Кризис экономики.
    Одна волна сменить другую спешит, дав ночи полчаса.

Если бы после 1998 прошло 2 года робкого «восстановления» и Россию снова тряхануло бы так, что зубы из индексов полетели, что бы мы читали и слыхали в СМИ?
    И про безудержное воровство кооператива «Озеро», и про тупиковую сырьевую модель, и про бездарных министров, и понтующихся олигархов. И про общий крах ВСЕЙ СИСТЕМЫ.
    И вывод: «Все, хватит! Не сам спасусь, хоть детей вытащу из этого безнадежного болота. В США, в мощную, динамичную, производящую страну, с ее здоровой конкурентной экономикой! В США, которые с брезгливым ужасом глядят на эту страну! Прощай, немытая Россия!».
    =)

Hanna
    While some people I know want to pack and move to US 'before things get worse and they lose everything they've worked for here', some people want the opposite. Isn't it odd? What interesting times we were privileged to live in! No, my sarcasm here is only partial.
    Come on then, come here, to Moscow, and try to ride these times through in Russia.

Actually I think that in a longer perspective things will get better in Russia and worse in the US.
    I think the US will become even more a country of brutal class divides. Lord knows what way the EU will go, probably down more than up...
    The worst things about Russia seems to me to be the state of housing, and corruption (?)

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Actually I think that in a longer perspective things will get better in Russia and worse in the US.
    I think the US will become even more a country of brutal class divides. Lord knows what way the EU will go, probably down more than up...
    The worst things about Russia seems to me to be the state of housing, and corruption (?)
    Leftists from around the world have been predicting soon crash of the US economy for a century already. The US just look at their efforts with a condescending smile.

No, I don't think that US is on the brink of economic disaster. They'll survive, probably ruining all other economies in the process, but they will be the last to fall. It's just I'm mentally unprepared for living in the US. I would rather go to New Zealand or Australia.

Hanna
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    Leftists from around the world have been predicting soon crash of the US economy for a century already. The US just look at their efforts with a condescending smile.
    And how do you know that? You are not American!

I don't KNOW, but I would guess that most sensible Americans are a bit concerned about the state of their country at the moment. They are up to their heads in wars, class divides growing, immigration issues, foreign debt, housing crisis and a continuously weakening dollar.
    If they maintain a "condescending smile" despite all that, then they would be rather stupid and deserve what's coming. I don't think most normal Americans are that arrogant. A sensible person would try to understand where things went wrong and start correcting them. If the US doesn't do that, they it deserves to be knocked off the top spot by China (which I definitely don't like any better than the USA.)

Почтенный гражданин

I don't KNOW, but I would guess that most sensible Americans are a bit concerned about the state of their country at the moment. They are up to their heads in wars, class divides growing, immigration issues, foreign debt, housing crisis and a continuously weakening dollar.
    If they maintain a "condescending smile" despite all that, then they would be rather stupid and deserve what's coming. I don't think most normal Americans are that arrogant. A sensible person would try to understand where things went wrong and start correcting them. If the US doesn't do that, they it deserves to be knocked off the top spot by China (which I definitely don't like any better than the USA.)
    Hanna, for what it's worth, I agree with you.

I'm going to generalize here, and of course all generalizations are inherently flawed. But that being said, I see two types of Americans recently: 1st, those who are thoroughly convinced in America's destiny to "come out on top" of any situation [(which is I think a concoction of 1 part post-depression-era "optimism-or-death", and 1 part "purposely-poorly-explained-in-school-concept-of<<manifest-destiny>>")], and 2nd, those who are suspicious that it will take a lot more effort than we're currently applying to make the situation better.. I'd like to say I'm of the second type - the foreign debt thing is particularly poignant this month... it's hard to avoid all of these things in the name of maintaining a chaste sense of patriotism. =)

That said - I know nothing about the topic of adoption, at hand
    luck/life/kidkboom
    Грязные башмаки располагают к осмотрительности в выборе дороги. /*/ Muddy boots choose their roads with wisdom. ;

Почтенный гражданин

Well, I'm not sure I'm the best thinker in this group (LOL, rather sure I'm *not* ). But I certainly would move from US to Russia. I've been looking into a way to move to Russia for a little while now. If a viable pathway comes into my reach, I'm taking it.
    luck/life/kidkboom
    Грязные башмаки располагают к осмотрительности в выборе дороги. /*/ Muddy boots choose their roads with wisdom. ;

Quote Originally Posted by kidkboom View Post
    Well, I'm not sure I'm the best thinker in this group (LOL, rather sure I'm *not* ). But I certainly would move from US to Russia. I've been looking into a way to move to Russia for a little while now. If a viable pathway comes into my reach, I'm taking it.
    You're ruining my perception of the reality right now, you know that?

Well, I might be a bit one-sided here in my vision of the current world's state, but I learn a lot from the history. Every great power develops in a 'life-cycle'. It raises, it becomes powerful and then it collapses. I've never learned things to be otherwise throughout the whole history of mankind. And it's not some foreign or competitive power that usually brings down empires. It's their own population. When someone starts thinking that nothing bad can happen he's in trouble. I think that the modern USA has been living in this 'state of mind' for quite a long time already. No, I wish you all the luck in the world, but I couldn't think of anything that can help US to continue its way of living. Changes are imminent, it's just a matter of time.

Властелин
    You're ruining my perception of the reality right now, you know that?

Well, I might be a bit one-sided here in my vision of the current world's state, but I learn a lot from the history. Every great power develops in a 'life-cycle'. It raises, it becomes powerful and then it collapses. I've never learned things to be otherwise throughout the whole history of mankind. And it's not some foreign or competitive power that usually brings down empires. It's their own population. When someone starts thinking that nothing bad can happen he's in trouble. I think that the modern USA has been living in this 'state of mind' for quite a long time already. No, I wish you all the luck in the world, but I couldn't think of anything that can help US to continue its way of living. Changes are imminent, it's just a matter of time.
    Speaking as a programmer, you don't think everything is always going to be ok, but you don't care about it too much as long as you know there are exception handlers in your code for different kinds of sh*t, and if something goes wrong they'll manage to handle the situation. So, the only thing you should care about is your exception handlers being up to date and able to handle the kinds of sh*t they're meant to.

Honestly speaking, there are not many KINDS of sh*t that could happen to a country, and I think the US "exception handlers" are working well for now.

I'm a bit sorry for this parallel, but I assumed you were gonna get me right.

Властелин

How do you know I'm not American? What do you ever know about me?

Do you really think dollar is out of control in its weakening? =)

I'm a bit sorry for this parallel, but I assumed you were gonna get me right.
    Speaking in programmer terms, US as an app has accumulated many memory leaks and now the heap is nearly full of interlocked objects. You'll soon need to terminate and debug it. Or even reboot the whole system.

How do you know I'm not American? What do you ever know about me?
    Come on, everyone here knows already that you are definitely NOT an American. Not even a native English speaker. You make those lapses now and then a native would not make. Personally, I think you're a native Russian troll I even suspect I knew you before by a different nick.

Властелин
    Speaking in programmer terms, US as an app has accumulated many memory leaks and now the heap is nearly full of interlocked objects. You'll soon need to terminate and debug it. Or even reboot the whole system.
    I think, when the app attempts to allocate another portion of memory, and runs across lack of free memory, the exception handler for this kind of thing will just run another process, copy the image into its address space, copy some critical information from the address space of the process having trouble, and the whole thing will start again. If there are some problems with system resources in general, the handler can always terminate a few other processes to get the resources it needs. It does have all the required privileges to do that.

I think, when the app attempts to allocate another portion of memory, and runs across lack of free memory, the exception handler for this kind of thing will just run another process, copy the image into its address space, copy some critical information from the address space of the process having trouble, and the whole thing will start again. If there are some problems with system resources in general, the handler can always terminate a few other processes to get the resources it needs. It does have all the required privileges to do that.
    Offtopic mode
    Some questions:
    1) As a programmer, do YOU always include exception handlers for the 'out of memory' error? Do you make them so sophisticated that they even try to terminate other processes? Do you handle 'access denied' errors within your 'out of memory' exception handler when it tries to terminate something? And how terminating other processes will help you in getting more virtual address space for your particular application?
    2) Ever heard of interlocked (cross-referenced) resources with no accessible valid handlers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast