Thread: Russia Lack Touch, But Overcome Ukraine

Увлечённый спикер

Russia Lack Touch, But Overcome Ukraine

16 September 2005 EUROBASKET 2005

Andrei Kirilenko and his Russian teammates shook off a poor shooting night to beat Ukraine 86-74 on Friday to head Group A at the 2005 EuroBasket.

The Russians made just 5 of their first 23 shots and finished the game shooting only 41 per cent. But the versatile Utah Jazz star Kirilenko led the way with 22 points 14 rebounds, five blocked shots, three steals and two assists - though he too hit just 7/20 from the field and 6/11 free throws.

J.R. Holden chipped in 16 points and Nikita Morgunov added 14 points off the bench for Sergey Babkov's team at the Millenium Centar.

"This was the first game. I think we were really nervous and you saw that," Kirilenko said.

Sergey Monya, who scored eight points off the bench, reiterated Kirilenko's view: "We didn't show our full power. But it was important that we won."

Serhiy Lishchuk led Ukraine with 18 points. But most of his production came after Los Angeles Lakers forward Stanislav Medvedenko had fouled out midway through the third quarter with 14 points in 21 minutes. Andrii Lebediev tallied 13.

"We have a lot of young, very talented players. But it was my fault,"
    Medvedenko said. "I committed the five fouls."

Russia started the game icy - 5/23 from the field midway through the second quarter - and warmed just slightly. Because of the poor shooting - just 6/21 from behind the three-point stripe, Babkov's team was never able to pull away from the Ukrainians.

Ukraine's young inexperienced squad held strong against the NBA stars from Russia. Down 75-69 with 2:30 left in the game, Lebediev drove to the basket, was fouled and made the basket plus free throw to cut the lead to three.

Ukraine's young inexperienced squad held strong against the NBA stars from Russia. Down 75-69 with 2:30 left in the game, Lebediev drove to the basket, was fouled and made the basket plus free throw to cut the lead to three.

Morgunov tipped in Holden's missed three only to have Volodymyr Gurtovyy pull it back to three for Gennadi Zaschuk's squad. Victor Khryapa hit a jumper and Petr Samoylenko hit two free throws to push the lead back up to seven.

Russia lead Group A on point differential ahead of Italy, who beat Germany earlier Friday. Italy and Russia face off on Saturday while Germany take on Ukraine in the night game.
    Правда је спора, али достижна...

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    basketball........ yuk!
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Увлечённый спикер
    17 September 2005

Russia showed all doubters that they are real contenders for the 2005 EuroBasket title by steamrolling over Italy 87-61 on Saturday with a balanced attack of five players in double figures.

Captain Andrei Kirilenko again showed off his versitality, scoring 16 points and adding 10 rebounds, one block and a steal in just 25 minutes of play.

J.R. Holden and Victor Khryapa each scored 15 points while Holden had four assists and two steals and Khryapa collected 10 rebounds, three assists and five steals.

Zakhar Pashutin chipped in 11 points and three assists off the bench; and Nikita Morgunov scored 12.

Victor Khryapa (Russia)
    Victor Khryapa
    The Utah Jazz star said Russia are definitely among the favourites to win the title and said the first half showed what they can do:

"It was kind of perfect. We allowed Italy to come back a little in the second half. But the first half was perfect. That's the way we should play."

Italian captain Giacomo Galanda led the Italians with 13 points and Gianmarco Pozzecco scored 12. Stefano Mancinelli added seven points, six rebounds and three assists.

But Gianluca Basile, who scored 25 points against Germany, was held without a point and Dante Calabria had just six.

"Italy looked a little tired after their tough game against Germany - coming back and over time. And that takes a lot of energy," Kirilenko said.

Russia came out shooting the lights out from the start - so unlike their ice cold 37 per cent shooting performance against Ukraine - and dominated the game with their defence as well.

Between the first and second quarters, Russia used a 16-0 run to bulge their lead to 37-11 with six minutes remaining in the half. By half-time it was 52-20.

Russia used their superior athleticism down low and excellent passing game to continually extend the lead.

The Russians pushed their advantage to 35 with three minutes left in the game, and Italy could only close to the final margin after Russia coach Sergey Babkov cleared his bench.

"This was the top game in the group, and both teams knew it. And we came out ready," Khryapa said.

"They came back a little. But we always had control of the game. And after building the early lead we saw okay, let's make it 25-30."

Italian coach Carlo Recalcati said the 17-0 run hurt the morale of the team.

"It was a little frustrating. My team tried to play hard. Maybe point by point we got a little down."

With the victory, Russia are all but secured at least second place in Group A ahead of Sunday's game against Germany, thanks to their excellent point differential. That means Russia would be able to stay in Vrsac for the elimination game - should they not top the group.

Italy play Ukraine on Sunday knowing they need a win to stay in the tournament.

Увлечённый спикер