Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By iCake
  • 1 Post By Alex80

Thread: Questions regarding how Russians and the Russian government view homosexuality.

Новичок

Questions regarding how Russians and the Russian government view homosexuality.

Hello all! I am an undergraduate student in NYC. I am currently enrolled in an Intercultural communication class and am wondering if anyone would be willing several questions in 3-4 sentences regarding homosexuality in Russia. Thank you for you time!

1. How much does religion play a role in homophobia in Russia?
    2. Why was being gay a crime in Russia?

3. Why do you believe Russians to be homophobic?

4. What rights to LGBTQ person have in Russia?

5. Why do you believe violence against LGBTQ persons are tolerated?

6. Are you familiar with the Russian anti-gay propaganda laws in Russia?
    7. Do you have an opinion whether or not LGBTQ rights have evolved in Russia?

Those are some heavily slanted questions.
    DDT and xXHoax like this.
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

Почтенный гражданин
    > 1. How much does religion play a role in homophobia in Russia?
    Religion has relatively a little role in Russia at all. In the last years government tries to seriously increase influence of religion in society, but "70 years of communism" still has it's effect: russian society is relatively low in religion. Institute of visiting churches is very rare for example. Even they who believe themselves to be believers in most cases are just "it's convenient to believe there is no death after death" + carma + reincarnation and no visiting church.
    It's hard to talk about "role of religion" about almost anything.

> 2. Why was being gay a crime in Russia?
    Tzar's criminalization of gays was canceled after october revolution (and even serves as example for other countries), but was returned in 1934. Wiki says that it was initiative of NKVD. They believe that "hidden nature of homosexual clubs attracts anti-revolutionary elements". Stalin approved. Despite of these facts there is no doubt that gays were perceived as "bad thing" in that times, so probably it was just a matter of time. After USSR fall gay criminalization was cancelled in 1993.

Russia lags behind Europe in this matter by 20-30 years and that is all about it. Shifts in perception of homosexuality from 1990 till now are tectonic. However, this process is not completed of course.

AFAIK, they are free of conscription to army.

See (3). Violence is not tolerated, if it's crime then it's crime. You may have biased view on Russia.

Yes. It's convenient move for government. Restriction on "propaganda among minors" allows to block parades, because streets are full of minors, but at the same time freely allows to gay clubs to exists. Tacit approval of majority of electorate is applied. You may compare it with british Section 28.

Yes (see 3)
    Lampada likes this.

Новичок
    Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. i greatly appreciate it!

Новичок
    yes, you're correct. i would ask the same questions of americans, too. hate crimes against LGBTQ seem to be not a priority here in The States. Would you be willing to answer the questions if you had a moment? I would be forever grateful!

Новичок

thank you very much!

Thank you very much for your insight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex80 View Post
    > 1. How much does religion play a role in homophobia in Russia?
    Religion has relatively a little role in Russia at all. In the last years government tries to seriously increase influence of religion in society, but "70 years of communism" still has it's effect: russian society is relatively low in religion. Institute of visiting churches is very rare for example. Even they who believe themselves to be believers in most cases are just "it's convenient to believe there is no death after death" + carma + reincarnation and no visiting church.
    It's hard to talk about "role of religion" about almost anything.

> 2. Why was being gay a crime in Russia?
    Tzar's criminalization of gays was canceled after october revolution (and even serves as example for other countries), but was returned in 1934. Wiki says that it was initiative of NKVD. They believe that "hidden nature of homosexual clubs attracts anti-revolutionary elements". Stalin approved. Despite of these facts there is no doubt that gays were perceived as "bad thing" in that times, so probably it was just a matter of time. After USSR fall gay criminalization was cancelled in 1993.

Russia lags behind Europe in this matter by 20-30 years and that is all about it. Shifts in perception of homosexuality from 1990 till now are tectonic. However, this process is not completed of course.

AFAIK, they are free of conscription to army.

See (3). Violence is not tolerated, if it's crime then it's crime. You may have biased view on Russia.

Yes. It's convenient move for government. Restriction on "propaganda among minors" allows to block parades, because streets are full of minors, but at the same time freely allows to gay clubs to exists. Tacit approval of majority of electorate is applied. You may compare it with british Section 28.

Yes (see 3)