Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pope is dead

Завсегдатай
    To me, he is just a man, like Mehmet, and I don't see why he is anything more to that to all the people who have nothing to do with him. Or why people seem to care more about the Pope now that he's dead.

Старший оракул
    Maybe he's not more than that to all the people who have nothing to do with him. He could still be just a guy to them. But still, its sad, because a person, a human being, has died.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by saibot
    Maybe he's not more than that to all the people who have nothing to do with him. He could still be just a guy to them. But still, its sad, because a person, a human being, has died.
    Har har har. How come you aren't sad every moment of the day then? There are worse things going on every day than a very old man dying of natural causes.

Старший оракул
    Im not sad every moment of the day, because i dont hear of every person that dies everyday.

Завсегдатай
    So you have to be told a person died before you're sad, even though you know people are dying even as I type this message? You could look in your newspaper's obituaries section or something. Get a little kick start of sadness every morning.

Старший оракул
    Well i know ppl are dying right now. Its obvious. But its when you actually hear a persons name, and see them and think "wow. that person had a family." then you get a little sad for them. and reading the obituaries is sad..thats why i avoid them.

Завсегдатай
    Aww.

Старший оракул
    It is a little sad now that you think about it. A person, feeling compassion for another person. Who'd of thunk it.

Perhaps we should just close this thread. There is no point in arguing about this. It could go on for days. Lets just stop it here, and leave it at that. Everyone has their own opinions. Besides, this is a russian forum.

Завсегдатай
    Almost sounds like a Friendy sig!

(no offense Friendy, I still think you're #1 )

Why are we getting on your nerves, Pravit-san? You think we are sad just because the media tells us to be? how ignorant do you think we are?

I thank the media for telling me the Pope is dead, otherwise I wouldn't of known. They make a big story out of it, because he is the leader of the catholic church, 1 billion people have true feelings towards him. You can't blame the media on this, голубчик.

I am not sad because the media tells me, maybe I didn't know him personally, but it still makes me sad. He did good things to millions of people, and now he has passed away. Just because you don't know the person personally or think about him every day, you can truly sense the loss these millions of people must feel. You don't, fine, but lets not make a big sircus out of it!

Anyway they are degrees to sadness, it isn't black or white. I would feel more saddened if someone closer to me had died, naturally. I feel a moderate sadness towards the pope, little sadness to the random Igor who died at 99 in Kazan, and minute sadness to the ant I stepped on and cold-bloodedly murdered. His name was Mehmet.
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Завсегдатай
    Kalinka, I must point out that my first post in this thread was a little comment expressing my views, whereas all of the replies to them were confrontational. In effect, the pope-lovers provoked the circus.

Edit: And I must admit, probably I was just tired of hearing about the Pope's endless health problems and all the gruesome details about feeding tubes.

Thou art forgiven!
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Завсегдатай
    Thanks, babe!

Старший оракул
    I sense closure. This makes me happy.

Завсегдатай
    I don't. The next person who doesn't like what I said about the pope is going to come by and flame me(this seems to happen even after threads have been dead for some time). I can feel it!

Старший оракул
    Its closed enough for me.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    I don't. The next person who doesn't like what I said about the pope is going to come by and flame me(this seems to happen even after threads have been dead for some time). I can feel it!
    I feel that I need to respond to your question.
    И вот тебе вопрос: Какая разница, умереть попом или меховщиком?
    This is a very strange statement. Are you saying death is death? Are you implying there is no difference who dies? What is the difference between the death of your mother or the death of Hitler?

I feel saddened by the death of this holy man who has dedicated his life for the benefit of a better world. I remember 30 years ago when he first became the Pope. I remember some of his missions. I remember when he was shot. And now he has died. I admit that I have never met with him or spoke with him personally as like many other people. But, I was raised Catholic; I was Baptized and Confirmed Catholic; I went to Catholic schools for many years and there is no doubt in my mind that Pope John Paul II was a great man. It is sad when someone of great importance passes on. It does not matter whether or not you are Catholic or even religious. I do not understand why being sad for the death of the Pope is an issue.

What is the difference between the death of a king, or the death of a carpenter?
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

Завсегдатай
    What is the difference between the death of a king, or the death of a carpenter?
    Dunno, it sounds a lot like your signature.

It does not matter whether or not you are Catholic or even religious.
    Sure it does; I'm sure if you were a European during the Middle Ages you couldn't give a hoot if the Caliph died.

Завсегдатай
    Dunno, it sounds a lot like your signature.
    LOL. You don't get it, Pravit.

The carpenter is far more important than the king.

I thought everybody knew that!
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Pravitt has made a valid point. There is a lot of commotion made over the pope's death. That is all that is on the news now. People act as though the man was as pure as snow, as though he was better than anyone on earth. As if he was a leader of truth and light. Was he better than every one else? Not likely. But I don't know if he was good or bad and I don't know anything at all about Pravitt's leather guy. But I do know of a lot a people who would not be sad at the death of a pope because of what he represents and that does not include the 150,000,000 men women and children killed by popes in the Dark Ages in Europe. (By the way the popes at that time were known to have led celebrations through the streets to commemorate these killings, oh what the hell, let's call it what it was, murder!) Some people argue that the immorality of Popes is a thing of the past. That objection fails, however because even if only Popes of the past were immoral, and modern Popes had not been, the papacy’s claim to authority today rests upon the legitimacy of those past popes

So Pravitt is right. There is something fishy about all this "let's be sad about the pope" routine. Most people don't even know the first thing of the true nature of the papacy, so why are they acting all sad all of a sudden. Perhaps they should be happy. I think that they just go along things without really thinking things through, rather like a bunch of old cows do once you get them lined out on the road.

Oh, I know I took this a few steps further than Pravitt so if you are going to flame him you better flame me too…….ayl be awaitn’.

Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast