Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes, I'm a Marine. No, I don't eat dead babies.

Подающий надежды оратор

Yes, I'm a Marine. No, I don't eat dead babies.

First off, hi.

Second, the first person to ask if I have to kill a relative or small child to get a stripe is going to get an M16 buttstock to the jaw.

Third... um... hi?

Wait. I already said that.

And now for somethign completely different.

I've been a bit of a language freak for quite a while. I know Latin very well, and have a passing familiarity with Scottish Gaelic, Japanese, and Tagalog (as I'm sure someone familiar with Okinawa can understand ). I've decided to pick up Russian since it seems to be more useful and necessary in the military nowadays (a guy in my shop got to go to Hawai for a week as a translator. B*stard.) so I thought I'd cash in.

Oh. And because of women.

Carry on.

Новичок
    your woman is russian?)))

Почтенный гражданин
    Yeah, study Russian, go to Alaska as a translator, make the acquaintance with the nice Inuit ladys, get a pet polar bear. Smart move, soldier!

Anyway, though I still think you do eat babys (may be alive), welcome to the Forum. I suggest you to check "Getting started" part first. Do I sound a little bitchy today? It's because I just woke up.
    Find your inner Bart!

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerty
    Yeah, study Russian, go to Alaska as a translator, make the acquaintance with the nice Inuit ladys, get a pet polar bear. Smart move, soldier!

Anyway, though I still think you do eat babys, welcome to the Forum. I suggest you to check "Getting started" part first. Do I sound a little bitchy today? It's because I just woke up.
    Soldiers are in the Army. I'm a Marine. BIG difference.

Actually, there are quite a few openings for Marines in my MOS in Moscow and other parts of Russia and Eastern Europe, so hopefully it'll work out.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDog
    Oh, you see - already a language difference. In Russian "Marine"="солдат морской пехоты" (= "marine soldier").

Sorry, my mistake
    Find your inner Bart!

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerty
    Oh, you see - already a language difference. In Russian "Marine"="солдат морской пехоты" (= "marine soldier").

Sorry, my mistake
    It's OK. Marines can be a bit picky about terminology sometimes.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by kotyarochka
    your woman is russian?)))
    Looking for one ATM.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    I have a friend in the Marines who has recently returned from "clearing buildings" in Iraq. Also a niece who is in the process of entering the Marines. She hopes to get into the language department as a Russian speaker.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Властелин
    Is there a reason you had to point out you're a Marine and be an ass about it?
    Listen, buddy, I'm very conservative, I love the Marine Corps, but I think you're misrepresenting the branch by running amok like this. A simple, "Hey, I'm a soldier stationed abroad. I'm interested in learning Russian, any suggestions?" would have been great, and it would have been met by open arms. Instead, you had to burst in here threatening us with pistol whips and acting like a bada$$. Please cut it out.

Also, thanks for serving our country.
    Corrupting young minds since May 6, 2004.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Wo! Easy there Blackmaggie .......settle down now...good doggie, good doggie!
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Старший оракул
    In my experience (no offense, DevilDog), marines get mad if you call them "soldiers" or even mention the Army, or especially Navy.
    9 times out of 10, if a marine hears I was in the army, the next word out of their mouth is "Pussy." And that's even from people I went to High school with that became marines. The other branches of the military are inferior to marines.

But, yeah, welcome, DevilDog. It's good to see an interest in other languages, even if it is for women! That's how I got here!
    Of course, now I am learning for myself, so the important thing is that I did get here.
    -Fantom
    "Alright, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, so let's just figure this out and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

Завсегдатай
    Yea, as some may recall, i was going to join the marines to be a russian linguist. I passed all the tests, got all the qualifications, i was in the DEP waiting to ship. But then my brother came back from the marines and he was like "Don't go"! Then my friends from highschool (who actually got me into the marines) came back and said "Yea its pretty over rated".

Then my recruiter started being more and more of a dickhead the closer and closer i got to ship.

First he would say things like "Yea you'll get russian! No worries". But later i would ask about russian and he would say "Well i joined the infantry but they didn't promise me a machine gun".

So i did the only thing i could do. I quit! I told them i wanted to be a russian linguist and im already an advanced intermediate anyways... But since they would have just given me arabic and sent me to iraq i decided that i'd rather just learn russian on my own and not take the chance of getting my head cut off.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

alright, DevilDog. I have been harboring this desire for 40 years or so. When I was in high school I had a friend who went to Catholic high school. He told me a sort of poem, and it has been bugging me that I cannot recall it. It's a jokey-poem kind of thing about Latin. Here's the best I can do and I hope you can correct me:

Locio derdeigo,
    tirtei bvssis inaro.
    Nonomo, dosarnt bvssis, dosar trux,
    sumwit causin, sumwit dux.

I know what it means, but how about the authentic Latin spelling? Looking forward to your assistance!

Подающий надежды оратор
    chaika:

First off, there aren't any w's in Latin. They used v for their w sounds. And "dosarnt" looks misspelled, as well, though it could very well be passive in this poem which means I'd be totally lost.

BlackMage:

First off, thanks for your suppport.

Second, guess what? Most Marines in my pay grade (E-3 and below) act even worse than this. I'm considered modest. I wanted to get people's attention with my intro thread so it would stand out from the hundreds of wishy-washy "Hi! I'm new!" threads that permeate the internet.

I also wanted to get some of the most outlandish myths out of the way for any Russians here with any strange ideas. Believe it or not, I still get asked these questions here in Japan, after we've been living and working alongside each other for sixty years! It gets really annoying having to repeatedly answer stupid questions like this, so I answered them before they were asked.

BTW, the M16 is a rifle, not a pistol.

Властелин
    I know what an M16 is, but there isn't a cool verb that described rifle-butting. So I said pistol-whip which is a cool verb.
    Corrupting young minds since May 6, 2004.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackMage
    I know what an M16 is, but there isn't a cool verb that described rifle-butting. So I said pistol-whip which is a cool verb.
    What about "butt-stroke", the actual term?

That sounds kinda... odd, doesn't it?

N
    Почтенный гражданин
    I also wanted to get some of the most outlandish myths out of the way for any Russians here with any strange ideas.
    I bet most Russians have no ideas of myths about US Marines.
    I think it because (Thanx God) we have no your bases here in Russia.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by N
    I also wanted to get some of the most outlandish myths out of the way for any Russians here with any strange ideas.
    I bet most Russians have no ideas of myths about US Marines.
    I think it because (Thanx God) we have no your bases here in Russia.
    But there are US Marines in Russia. I know for an absolute fact there are some stationed in Moscow.

N
    Почтенный гражданин
    But there are US Marines in Russia. I know for an absolute fact there are some stationed in Moscow.
    Yes, the US embassy guard.

I'd never know of them but now and then US Marines are badly beaten by Moscow's skinheads

http://www.grani.ru/Society/Xenophobia/p.6053.html
    http://www.trud.ru/Arhiv/2000/12/06/200012062280606.htm

Very disgraceful fact.

Завсегдатай
    Skinheads are tougher than marines! LoL.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast