Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pilot project

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinum
    Yeah, most teachers are not native speakers. So they probably don't speak it properly.

When I was in college my Spanish teacher was from Spain. She, of course, spoke perfect Spanish. However, in America we usually learn the Latin American version of Spanish. So she still was not exactly what she was teaching.
    What's wrong with learning Latin American version? It seems to be a lot more useful in the US than the Spanish one. I see no reason why would anyone prefer the European version, unless she is planning to go to Spain.
    Or should people in the US learn British English, too?

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by laxxy
    Yeah, most teachers are not native speakers. So they probably don't speak it properly.

When I was in college my Spanish teacher was from Spain. She, of course, spoke perfect Spanish. However, in America we usually learn the Latin American version of Spanish. So she still was not exactly what she was teaching.
    What's wrong with learning Latin American version? It seems to be a lot more useful in the US than the Spanish one. I see no reason why would anyone prefer the European version, unless she is planning to go to Spain.
    Nothing is wrong with learning Latin American Spanish. You're right, it is more useful than Castillian (Spain's Spanish). What I mean is that she is FROM Spain, but trying to teach Latin Spanish. That would be like a Brit teaching American English to a bunch of Mexicans. It would work, but not as well as an American could teach it. Usted comprenden, mi amigo (amiga??)?
    Платинов

Властелин

Nothing is wrong with learning Latin American Spanish. You're right, it is more useful than Castillian (Spain's Spanish). What I mean is that she is FROM Spain, but trying to teach Latin Spanish. That would be like a Brit teaching American English to a bunch of Mexicans. It would work, but not as well as an American could teach it. Usted comprenden, mi amigo (amiga??)?
    Oh, I got it. well, she should have taught the spanish version I guess.

Почтенный гражданин
    Oh, I got it. well, she should have taught the spanish version I guess.
    She DID teach spanish. LOL. Actually she WAS teaching Latin spanish. But she kept accidently using the VOSOTROS forms of the verbs. They don't use these much in Latin America. She hadn't lived in the U.S. very long, so she wasn't used to anything but Castillian.
    Платинов

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    That would be like a Brit teaching American English to a bunch of Mexicans. It would work, but not as well as an American could teach it. Usted comprenden, mi amigo (amiga??)?
    And what exactly is the difference between US and British English anyway? Except for a few spelling variances which Americans should be aware of anyway, I don't see or hear any difference. Perhaps a British teacher would do you illiterate colonials some good. Hmm?
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

We've been down this route before, but DDT, you don't HEAR any difference between Birtish English and that you call US English? One can immediately tell which of the two the person is speaking, or is my ear exceptionally sensitive?
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Well, the Korean guy I spoke to an hour ago could not tell that I have an Aussie accent. He just assumed that I was a Yank! A beginner in English cannot tell the difference., Am I off topic? Oh well!
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12