Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pan - Slavism etc ?

Hanna

Re: Pan - Slavism etc ?

Of course, Europe is one thing and Scandinavia is another.
    What an intersting post, почемучка!

In Scandinavia a lot of people say "Stuff the EU, let's have a Scandinavian union instead, and leave the EU together...". The people who think that are mostly Green or Red: They think that the EU is to much to the "right", too protectionist, a bit imperialist and not sufficiently environmental. They think that the Scandinavian people have similar goals which are not shared to the same degree by most of the rest of the EU: Particularly maintaining a "welfare state" and being in the forefront on environmental issues.

Some people have traditional nationalistic view and don't want to be in the same union as countries like Germany (for some) or Britain (for others). They are also concerned about immigration.
    Plus a lot of people still support the non-alliance/neutral agendas from pre-1990; EU membership on the Scandinavian peninsula was unthinkable back then.

But there is really no realistic way of backing out of the EU now though; all the countries are committed and politicians support the idea. Whether we like it or not, we are in with the rest of the EU-ropeans, so we might as well make the most of it.

I don't like that there is still a barrier in Europe though, between EU members and non.. And the reasons that made the "Nordstream" pipeline necessary are frustrating too - benefits no-one.

Slavic languages form a group which is like German languages or Roman languages.

Imagine Pan-Germanism: it is something uniting English, German, Scandinavian, Dutch etc. spoken world.

Or Pan-Romanism: All Spanish, French, Italian, Portugese, Romanian etc. spoken world.

They are even more impressive than Pan - Slavism. And relevant in the same way and measure.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Почётный участник

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    In Scandinavia a lot of people say "Stuff the EU, let's have a Scandinavian union instead, and leave the EU together...". The people who think that are mostly Green or Red: They think that the EU is to much to the "right", too protectionist, a bit imperialist and not sufficiently environmental.
    If that's the case, I can't imagine what they say about the US......well, actually I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    Some people have traditional nationalistic view and don't want to be in the same union as countries like Germany (for some) or Britain (for others). They are also concerned about immigration.
    Plus a lot of people still support the non-alliance/neutral agendas from pre-1990; EU membership on the Scandinavian peninsula was unthinkable back then.

But there is really no realistic way of backing out of the EU now though; all the countries are committed and politicians support the idea. Whether we like it or not, we are in with the rest of the EU-ropeans, so we might as well make the most of it.

I don't like that there is still a barrier in Europe though, between EU members and non.. And the reasons that made the "Nordstream" pipeline necessary are frustrating too - benefits no-one.
    It's true that withdrawal from the EU is a non-starter right now, but if problems mount up and the Euroskeptics gain in power and influence, there could be some movement on that issue. I don't really know the likelihood of all that because I'm not an expert in European politics. That said, nationalism is one of the most powerful forces in the world and the rise of the EU has hardly eradicated it. If nothing else, it is and will continue to be a very interesting experiment.
    Пожалуйста, исправляйте мои бесконечные ошибки!

About going from the Baltic sea to the Black sea by boat.
    There wasn't any continuous water way down there (now there are channels) but back then people had to portage their ships across land.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12