Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overcoming the Fear of Speaking

Увлечённый спикер

Overcoming the Fear of Speaking

I thought I would post this to see if anyone else has this same fear, or did. I am afraid of speaking Russian. I usually only speak it to my boyfriend and no one else. He doesn't understand why I don't because I have no accent, except if there's a word I don't know too well. I know it would help me learn fast - even though I'm a very quick learner when it comes to learning languages. By hearing a word a few times, I can already pronounce it without an accent.

So how can I overcome my fear? I have a feeling it has a lot to do with the fact that when people learn that I speak Russian, they make a big deal out of it.. I'm a shy person, so this makes me embarrassed.
    Если я ошибаюсь, исправляйте меня, пожалуйста.

Завсегдатай
    No advise here but you're not alonе.
    It's a rare occasion when I can to talk to someone in English but when I have one I just grow dumb. The last time at work I said a couple of phrases, became shy of my accent and ran away to look for our interpreter.

"Студенты - как щенки. Глаза умные, только сказать ничего не могут" (с)

Властелин
    What for me, I find a lot of fun speaking English with natives. They don't make me feel dumb. If they ever imply something, I always have the last resort of bombing them with hardcore russian mat which they don't understand and never will.
    -- Да? Коту Ваське, бл##?
    -- Нет, Я кот Васька :-/

Увлечённый спикер
    There're lots of American and British employees over here in Baku and I talk to them now and then. And I know I make many mistakes while speaking but I don't care a bit, though AFTER the conversation I think "Hey, you could've said that better or with not so many mistakes, why didn't you?". That's because I speak fluently but my speach is far from being correct and sometimes I'm surprised at the fact my interlocutors understand me after all.
    Люди с годами не меняются, они просто все больше становятся самими собой.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    When I was a complete beginner at Russian I was less fearful than I am now. Perhaps back then I was so bad that I had no idea how bad I was.

Now that I know more I have become aware of all my mistakes.

I had not spoken to anyone in Russian for a while, until today, when I happened to meet with a Russian friend of mine. At first I did not know what to say but after a few minutes we were speaking about an american girl that he wanted to get to know better, who was nearby in the cafe were at. It was quite amusing actually!
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Завсегдатай
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Yeah, like you're finding out, this is a very common "problem." And I say "problem" because there's nothing wrong with it. It's completely natural to be hesitant to speak in any sort of social setting where you don't feel you're intellectually on par with other people -- including when you don't know a language anywhere nearly as good as they do. Your options are pretty simple:
    a) Classic solution: picture them all in their underwear
    b) Russian option: drink lots of vodka with them and then you're not afraid and they're not comprehending you anyway
    c) The chicken solution: just give up and not speak the language at all.
    d) The best solution: just suck it up and go out on a limb. Anybody worth talking to is going to realize that a)you're not a native speaker and b)you have enough interest in and respect for their language that you WANT to learn it, which is more than they can say for the 90-something percent of the world's population. Again, if they're worth talking to then they'll bear with you; if not, then just consider it a time-saving exercise in making friends.
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

Бармалей - умница!
    В добавление к вышесказанному, мой совет: не учить язык молча, а учить и при этом проговаривать то, что учишь. А слушая русскую речь, например песни, стихи, прозу вслух повторять (стараясь копировать звучание) все слова за певцом, чтецом. В общем, тренировать язык, а не только уши.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Почётный участник
    I am American and I am happy if people that come over try to learn our language and get a job, if they dont thats another story. as long as they re trying and doing thier best they have my respect.

as far as my knowledge goes with Russians they are usually surprised to see that someone can understand them a small bit.I've only had one person say I spoke poorly the otheres were like" wow he speaks Russian!!!". so far most of these people have become decent friends some go as far to call me brother.

try to keep a light feeling of life with the idea "will it matter 10yrs from now" answer is not really. of course this dont apply to everything but, I use it at dances, speaches, mostly for things im unsure of.so far I can jump up there and speak to a audiance, and dances I start races of those who can get the most women off their chairs

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Бармалей - умница!
    Ну, спасибо, но я думаю лучше сказат "умник", т.к. а)я сам -- мужчина и б)Бармалей -- мужской рот. Как ты считаешься?

Властелин
    Умница works for both genders.
    -- Да? Коту Ваське, бл##?
    -- Нет, Я кот Васька :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Бармалей
    Бармалей - умница!
    Ну, спасибо, но, я думаю, лучше сказать "умник", т.к. а)я сам -- мужчина и б)Бармалей -- мужского рода. Как ты считаешься?
    Слово "умник" имеет насмешливый оттенок. Тоже мне, умник нашёлся. Думает, что знает больше всех. "Умница" подходит для всех. Это хорошее слово.

Статья в Литературной России: "Русский умница" http://www.litrossia.ru/archive/158/lirics/3960.php

Есть те, кто просто сдаёт на пятёрки, а Ксения - настоящая умница и очень творческий человек.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Завсегдатай
    Бармалей - умница!
    Ну, спасибо, но, я думаю, лучше сказать "умник"
    "Но_ я думаю" without запятая was ok.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

[quote=Оля]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Бармалей":sr9ygad8
    Бармалей - умница!
    Ну, спасибо, но, я думаю, лучше сказать "умник"
    "Но_ я думаю" without запятая was ok.[/quote:sr9ygad8]
    Уф, хоть одна запятая была правильная.
    Олечка - умница и красавица!

Завсегдатай
    Yea, Im still afriad most of the time why do u think i only type english here??? The best way to speak russian is just with all Russians who are speaking russian/ english. That way they can correct you if u are terribly wrong, and they understand what its like to learn another language, so its not like they will make fun of you or anything.

I have a friend here from Kaliningrad who is here for the summer, he doesnt speak any english, and we hang out every weekend. Its been real good practice for both of us. Its the best way to speak.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    Yea, Im still afriad most of the time why do u think i only type english here??? The best way to speak russian is just with all Russians who are speaking russian/ english. That way they can correct you if u are terribly wrong, and they understand what its like to learn another language, so its not like they will make fun of you or anything.

I have a friend here from Kaliningrad who is here for the summer, he doesnt speak any english, and we hang out every weekend. Its been real good practice for both of us. Its the best way to speak.
    I wonder if there are any peculiaraties in Kaliningrad-Russian?

Подающий надежды оратор
    My teacher would laugh at me because i would try to listen to myslef and studder.

Завсегдатай
    No not really. Except that he can understand belorussian a little. Russian is pretty much universal all over, much like english in america. I've seen people from kazakstan talk to people from Rostov na donu, people from Peterburg talk to people from kaliningrad, people from moscow talk to people from odessa.

It doesnt really change much.

I learned that "Не чакай" (I think?) is belorussian for "Не жди".
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Завсегдатай
    No not really. Except that he can understand belorussian a little. Russian is pretty much universal all over, much like english in america. I've seen people from kazakstan talk to people from Rostov na donu, people from Peterburg talk to people from kaliningrad, people from moscow talk to people from odessa.

It doesnt really change much.

I learned that "Не чакай" (I think?) is belorussian for "Не жди".
    The Belarussian part is really interesting, but is this a Kaliningrad phenomenon or is it just your friend? I knew that Russian was a highly standardized language according to most people, but there are still differences (this is an interesting post -- the problem is no one ever seems to agree on these things: http://community.livejournal.com/learn_ ... 82107.html) and one would expect that given both Kaliningrad's location and history and it's people's unique sense of identity (according to a Newsweek poll most people identify themselves as "European" before they do "Russian") that they'd have some linguistical differences. Very interesting subject methinks.

Завсегдатай
    Well he said he went to beloruss for awhile so maybe that has something to do with it.

Well and as you know before WWII it was a part of germany, and after WWII Russia annexed it, deported some people, and encouraged A LOT of russians to move there. So im assuming that people who are not slavic or ethinically russian might consider themselves Europiand, or not Russian, But my buddy, Юрий Мокров is about as Russian as they come -)

Почтенный гражданин
    Well, what can I say. I pity all you cowards.
    Now I understand why native Russians prefer Skype and timid whateveryoucallyourself favor e-mails.
    Drink more high-quality Russian vodka. It’s the answer to all your problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast