Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: My future traveling in America

n8m, мы пишем деньги не как "5 $" не как "8$", а с символом ПЕРЕД числом. $8.00.

n8m
    я знаю. Просто обратил внимание, как кто-то из англоязычных здесь написал знак $ после цифры и подумал, что так тоже можно.
    correct me, please. I'm russian native speaker (can I say "I'm russian native"?). Skype: name-xru. ICQ: 227394254. Always glad to speak.

I live on Cape Cod (surprise), it's a seasonal beach resort area of 15 towns. In the summer, I have worked for motels as an assistant manager for the past 10 years. The full season runs April to November, busiest from June to September. That's when we hire J-1 kids. A medium size place might hire 6 maids and a couple guys (help landscape, maintenance, etc.) for the day shift. I usually get at least a maid and houseboy to work at night too.
    There are probably 8 restaurants for every motel (one page of motels in my town, 8 pages of restaurants). They need people to work in High Season too. They vary in size from 20 to 200 seats.

Falmouth, Hyannis, Yarmouth, Dennis, Chatham and Provincetown have the most jobs. Last year 2100+ J-1s came to the Cape.

Personally, I'm looking to change properties this season. It's just time for a change. In the past, I used to take care of the J-1 kids and the manager took care of H2-b visas. I'm not going to do it this year, not yet anyway.

I'll help as best as I can. Get a GUARANTEED job, not a "Job Offer". You will be able to find a second job one you arrive.
    I'm easily amused late at night...

Hanna
    So there is a lot of unemployment in America, right? Why don't regular Americans take these jobs?

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    So there is a lot of unemployment in America, right? Why don't regular Americans take these jobs?
    Are you kidding? It's just laughable for an American to work for $8 an hour. Why not receive unemployment benefit which is almost as large, and do nothing instead? I mean those who don't need any extra money to those $5 - 10.

Подающий надежды оратор Bumblebee's Avatar
    n8m, позвольте вопрос. 8$ в час вам предлагает компания по обмену или вы сами на это расчитываете?
    В 2011 проблематично будет найти работу с такой зарплатой

Hanna
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    Are you kidding? It's just laughable for an American to work for $8 an hour.
    So it's a legitimate job that nobody will take because they think it is "laughable". What is your view then, on temporary workers who take such jobs?

n8m: If you want to make money to bring back home, it is smarter to go to Germany than to the USA. It does not cost very much for you to get there, and you can make more money than in the USA.

I think you should search for a forum for Russian speaking people in Germany and discretely ask them about the possibilities for getting a job there. England would be another possibility, but it is harder to get to, unless you could get a tourist visa.

Увлечённый спикер
    Employers are hesistant to even offer these jobs to Americans because of what Eric said. I personally would rather take nearly any job then take unemployment. This is a belief that is not shared by many Americans...because they are spoiled. Also from what i have observed in the US is you are only as good as your last job. You take an $8/hr job you are starting back from the first rung of the ladder. I think there is dignity in work and i dont think its laughable.

Also unemployment benefits run out at one year (possibly less than a year, I'm not sure).

Looks like the federal minimum wage is $7.25 but some states have made it higher.List of U.S. minimum wages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

>кто-то из англоязычных здесь написал знак $ после цифры
    We do not write the dollar sign after the number. It is incorrect to do so. I think this is true for the British pound sign as well.

n8m
    Hi! I've returned.
    Now I'm looking for any (may be fake) job offer. To get my work permission I must have job offer. In fact I mustn't work by this job offer. When I'll in America I'll can go to another job. I and my fake employer both will not suffer from it. But fake job offer is guarantee for me to get DS2019 work permit and J1-visa. My firm (or sposnor) can call to employer and check information only. Can anybody help me?
    correct me, please. I'm russian native speaker (can I say "I'm russian native"?). Skype: name-xru. ICQ: 227394254. Always glad to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by n8m View Post
    Hi! I've returned.
    Now I'm looking for any (maybe even fake) job offer. To get my work permission I must have job offer. In fact I mustn't by work don't have to accept this job offer. When I'll Once I'm in America I'll can go to another job. I and Neither I nor my fake employer both will not suffer from it. But any fake job offer is a guarantee for me to get a DS2019 work permit and J1-visa. My firm (or sposnor) can call to the employer and to check the information only. Can anybody help me?
    n8m... I wish you luck with your search but sadly I stopped working 3 years ago.
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

n8m
    Correct language and sense mistakes, please. This letter I'll send to employer. What do you think about it?

"Hello. My name is Fyodor Khruschov. I'll come to america this summer with 3 my friends as J1 students. We would like to work in McDonalds because there are no such restaurants in our town. We know about friendly atmosphere in McDonalds and would like to work in such team. We'll accept all your requierements. Can we work with you this summer? "

Thanks a lot.

Correct language and sense mistakes, please. This letter I'll send to employer. What do you think about it?

"Hello, my name is Fyodor Khruschov and I'm going to be coming I'll come to the U.S america this summer from.... with three 3 my friends as J1 students. Under the J1 program, we can work legally in the U.S. and the employer is not required to document that we are not taking a job from a qualified American.

While there are no McDonald's restaurants in our town, the customer service and business reputation are well know. It's also known for allowing both young people and new immigrants a chance in the work place We've also heard about how McDonald's is a leader in your industry for reducing waste and carbon footprint by half.

My friends and I would very much like to learn about more McDonald's and their business and realize we would need to start from the bottom up and are willing to work hard. Would like to work on your team this summer.

You can contact me at .......

Thanks a lot.
    because there are no such restaurants in our town. We'll accept all your requierements. Can we work with you this summer?

n8m.. I'm not certain I like what I've done with this... but it is the best I can think of right now. I'll try to look at it again later on or maybe someone else can edit my edits?
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

n8m
    Большое спасибо, Rockzmom.
    How can i get an ID card in U.S? I heard that the copy of my "birth note" (свидетельство о рождении) is needed. And then I'll can get an ID card? What special rights I'll get with ID card?

Большое спасибо, Rockzmom.
    How can i get an ID card in U.S? I heard that the copy of my "birth note" (свидетельство о рождении) is needed. And then I'll can get an ID card? What special rights I'll get with ID card?
    n8m,

My first question would be if you are only going to be here a short time, why would you need an ID card? There is no real benefit to having one (except making it easier to cash your paycheck) and since 9/11 the hoops you will have to jump through in order to get one for no real reason, is not really worth it. You can use your passport or if they give you a separate Visa not in your Passport, or your Social Security Card, as proof to who you are. Depending upon where you work, you might even get a Work ID.

If you are going to be here long term (a year) and are going to be living at the same address, then yes, obtain an ID card.

Each state has their own rules.

In Maryland, you need FIVE documents and many of the options you will have no way of obtaining:
    Proof of age/identity, lawful presence, verifiable social security number or proof of ineligibility, and Maryland residence. Please refer to Sources of Proof for required documentation.

If you are using a name other than your birth name, you must bring the document that initiated the change of name, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree or court name change order.

The Identification Card will be mailed to your Maryland address on record.
    Please pay close attention to the expiration date of your Maryland Identification Card. The MVA is not obligated to remind you when it is time to reapply for an Identification Card.
    Sources of Proof
    Effective June 1, 2009, a new applicant for a learner’s permit, license, moped operator’s permit or identification card must present (1) document to prove age and identity, (1) document to prove they possess a valid, verifiable Social Security Number (SSN) or proof of ineligibility for an SSN, (1) document to prove lawful status and (2) residency documents. Applicant must bring original documents or copies certified by the issuing agency. If the Source Documented presented does not include applicant's full name, an additional source document must be presented to reflect the applicant's full name. Photocopies, notarized copies, and documents with alterations or erasures will not be accepted. If any document is damaged, torn, overly worn, etc., the applicant may be required to obtain a replacement.

Minor applicants under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian and the parent or legal guardian must cosign the minor's application. The cosigner must provide acceptable proof of relationship to the minor. Acceptable source of proof of relationship can be a birth certificate or current tax return which shows dependency.

Source Documents for Age and Identity

• Original or certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate filed with a State Office of Vital Statistics (OVS) or equivalent agency in the applicant's state of birth (U.S. or territorial)* NOTE: Birth documents issued by a hospital, notifications of birth registration, birth registration cards, and foreign birth certificates are not accepted.

NOTE: Puerto Rican Birth Certificates issued PRIOR to July 1, 2010 will no longer be accepted as of October 31, 2010. For more information...

• Valid, unexpired U.S. passport*

• Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) issued by the U.S. Department of State (DOS), Form FS-240, DS-1350 or FS-545*

• Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, issued by the U.S. DHS*

• Certificate of Naturalization, form N-550 or N-570 issued by the U.S. DHS*

• Certificate of Citizenship, Form N-560 or N-561 issued by the U.S. DHS*

• Unexpired employment authorization documents (EAD), Form I-766 or I-688B issued by the U.S. DHS*

• Unexpired foreign passport with a valid, U.S. visa (unexpired or expired) affixed accompanied by the approved I-94 form documenting the applicant’s most recent admittance into the U.S*

• Unexpired employment authorization documents (EAD)*

*Also satisfies lawful presence requirements.

NOTE: Only the above age and identity documents are acceptable at this time. Other documents may be added in the future if deemed acceptable by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and acceptable by the Administration.

Documentation of a valid, verifiable SSN or proof of ineligibility

• Original Social Security (SS) Card; or

• W-2 form, not more than 18 months old; or

• SSA-1099 form, not more than 18 months old; or

• Non-SSA-1099 form, not more than 18 months old; or

• Pay stub bearing the applicant’s name and SSN, not more than 3 months old; or

• Documentation demonstrating non-work authorized status; or

• Other proof of ineligibility for an SSN acceptable by the Administration.

• The name(s) on the actual Social Security Card or other acceptable document used to provide proof of a valid, verifiable SSN or proof of ineligibility MUST match the source document(s) used to provide proof of the applicants' Age and Identity and licensure if required.

(For information on how to apply for a social security number, please visit Social Security Number and Card).

Source Documents for Lawful Status **

If the identity document does not also satisfy proof of lawful presence, the applicant must present another document issued by the United States Department of Homeland Security or other federal agencies demonstrating lawful status and determined to be acceptable by the Administration.

All documents presented for proof of lawful status must be verified by the Department of Homeland Security through their SAVE (Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements) Program. This verification may not be able to be completed on the day of your visit and may require additional verification which can take up to 3 weeks to complete. Please take this processing time into account when planning to get a product.

**The valid U.S. visa that is affixed to a foreign passport may be unexpired or expired. The foreign passport and the I-94 must be unexpired and verifiable though the Department of Homeland Security.

Source Documents for Maryland Residency

To establish residency, an applicant for a learner’s permit, license, moped operator’s permit or identification card, must present at least two of the following source documents. The documents may not be from the same business, company or agency. The address on the applicant’s Maryland residency sources must match the address on the application. A post office box may be used only in conjunction with a resident’s address if it is in the same zip code area. The use of a private mail drop is not permitted.

• Maryland vehicle registration card or title;

• Utility, telephone or cable/satellite TV bill;

• Checking or savings account statement;

• Life insurance card or policy (over 3 years old);

• Property tax bill or receipt;

• Mortgage account or proof of home ownership;

• Residential rental contract (apartment lease or other rental of real property);

• First class mail from a federal, state or local government agency (to include the contents and envelope); MVA mail is not acceptable;

• Copy of federal or MD income tax return filing not more than 18 months old, with proof of filing;

• Installment contract from a bank or other financial institution;

• Sales tax or business license;

• Major credit card bill;

• Residential service contract (refers to services performed at the address of residence; for example, cable or satellite television, TV repairs, lawn service or exterminator contract);

• Cancelled check with imprinted name and address;

• Voter registration card;

• Selective Service Card.

NOTE: The following is applicable if the applicant is:

• A dependent, the MVA may accept a certified statement of residency from the parent or guardian, signed in the presence of a MVA official. (Satisfactory proof of identity, Maryland residency, and relationship of the parent or guardian to the applicant is required.); or

• A married person, the MVA may accept a certified statement of residency from the applicant’s spouse, signed in the presence of a MVA official. (Satisfactory proof of identity, Maryland residency, and marital relationship is required.); or

• An inmate or former inmate, the MVA may accept, an Order of parole, Order of Mandatory release, or an address certification issued by the Administration and signed and dated by DPSC official, dated within 60 days of release; or

• Homeless or a resident of a nursing home, the MVA will accept certification from nursing homes and homeless service providers under certain conditions for proof of residence.

Post J-1 changes this year

From the Cape Cod Times, Feb 5, 2011:
    U.S. puts squeeze on J-1 visa rules

By Sarah Shemkus

sshemkus@capecodonline.com

February 05, 2011

The change in the rules is small. But the impact on the Cape's summer workforce could be substantial.
    Students from Belarus, Bulgaria, Moldova, Romania, Russia and Ukraine planning to work in the United States on J-1 visas this summer will now need to have a confirmed job offer in place before their visa interviews.

"This is a tightening of the rules of how those participants need to be employed," said Phil Simon, vice president of employer relations for CIEE (Council on International Educational Exchange), a nonprofit organization that works with international students throughout their J-1 work travel experiences.
    In the past, visa interviews could be conducted before a job was secured, he explained.
    The J-1 visa is a temporary work authorization that allows foreign university students to spend up to four months in the United States working and traveling. For many years, J-1 students have been an essential part of Cape Cod's summer workforce; generally more than 2,000 of these workers come to the area each summer.
    Last year, about one-third of the students who came to the U.S. for a summer work travel program were from the six countries affected by the new rules, according to a U.S. State Department official; 64 percent of the workers CIEE placed on the Cape were from those nations, Simon said.
    The change in regulations makes it easier to protect workers from those countries from fraudulent job offers, he said.
    "It gives us more time to makes those telephone calls, in some cases to visit those employers and talk to them and find out if they really did hire those students," he said.
    The rule changes were sparked by a recent rapid expansion of the program, said the State Department official.
    These six countries — among the nations that send the most students to the U.S. — are part of a pilot program intended to increase safeguards for program participants, the official said.
    On the Cape, the change means that employers interested in using J-1 workers this summer need to be hiring now, in advance of the students' visa interviews in March and April, he said.
    "It means that half of the population of student workers are looking for a job right now and in a month's time it will be too late," Simon said.
    In years past, many employers have hired J-1 workers once they arrive on Cape Cod. These changes might make that difficult this summer.
    "It means that employers who thought J-1s would just walk through the door once they arrived cannot count on people just showing up," said Wendy Northcross, CEO of the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce. "People should be aware of this, that they might not have this influx of J-1s in the spring showing up, looking for work."
    This shift, however, could be good for the students who do come, said Gail Meyers Lavin, the director of the Lower Cape J-1 Summer Host Housing Program, which matches workers with rooms for rent in local homes.
    In past years, she said, many of the students she's worked with have been unable to get full-time hours for their entire stay here. A lower supply of workers, she said, could mean more hours for those who make it to the Cape.
    "I am hoping this will encourage the businesses to be able to give more hours from the start," she said.
    J-1 by the numbers

64 percent: The proportion of workers CIEE placed on Cape Cod last year who came from Belarus, Bulgaria, Moldova, Romania, Russia or Ukraine
    2,000: The number of J-1 workers employed on the Cape each summer

This means I'm screwed... I usually pick up a couple Eastern Europeans to fill out the staff.
    I'm easily amused late at night...

n8m
    Вот из-за нововведений, я теперь в срочном порядке ищу job offer.
    Рассылаю по Е-mail организациям вот такой текст:

My name is Fyodor Khruschov. A few months ago two my friends and I became Work and Travel participants and we’ll be coming to the USA this summer to work on a J-1 visa. This visa, sponsored by the US Department of State, allows us to work legally for up to 4 months. We would like to work in your company during the summer of 2011!

We are living in Belarus. Wa are students of Belarusian State university. Our speciality is math.

Ability to work independently or in a group. We prefer to work in a group. We'll work better together.
    We have some experience in service. We worked in café “Malibu” in Minsk during last summer as waiters and dishwashers.

Sincerely,
    Fyodor Khruschov
    И прикладываю 3 резюме (мое и моих друзей).

Дайте советы по поводу содержания письма и ошибок, пожалуйста. И скажите, как лучше назвать письмо, чтобы оно привлекло внимание работодателя.
    Спасибо большое. Простите, что на русском.

Как насчет
    two of my friends and I
    We live in Belarus.
    students at Belarus State University
    We are able to work independently or in a group. We would like to work together if that is possible.
    worked in the Malibu Cafe in Minsk last summer

work in a group. Это не значит, что вы думаете. Имеется в виду ваша способность работать вместе с другими, как в команде, а не вы с друзьями.

I am a native Russian speaker. I'm a native Russian. Always glad to talk with people.

n8m
    ну а вообще текст нормальный?

n8m
    Hi there. I was at the embassy in Moscow last week. So, I have a visa to America!
    This year embassy refuse 80% requests for a visa..
    But I'm lucky
    So, now I'm thinking about place to go. I know that there is no work till July in towns like Ocean city, Atlantic city and other resorts. Where should I go to get a good job in June-September

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast