Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: An introduction

  1. #1
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Смоленск. Россия.
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    An introduction

    I find myself quite shocked at reading what Nastya below wrote. My name is Konstantin and I was born into a russian family in Smolensk and at the age of 14 i moved with my family to the United Kingdom. I live with my birth mother and step dad. I do, however, still regard myself as Russian as of course it is my first language. I speak it now poorer, especially written but it is still my native language and honestly speaking never will change, i still however find it easier for example to count in russian and to speak in russian rather than in english, however i am using english more. The weirdest thing for me is the amount of words one looses. For example, a friend may ask me how do you say such an such and I just can't remember that word.
    I go to Smolensk normally at christmas and new year(not this year) in March and in summer for 2 months to stay with my grandmother and she sometimes says that some things i say just don't sound naturaly anymore to her, this for me is quite annoying because I question myself, why does it not sound natural, if i was a native. So i decided to study with the language a bit, but i find that i just can't, as everything i already know that are in courses, obviously I grew up there. So my only way to really study it now is by paying more attention. I understand completely, but I don't pay atttention to what I understand, therefore I am not reusing it. Does this make sense? =) haha

    So i thought here i would leave a message. I am of course happy to make recordings etc if anybody would like, and help to best i can. Learning of learners of the russian language!

    =)
    Kostya
    Константин Владимирович Калмыков

  2. #2
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    0
    The only thing I cannot understand at all is an ease with which people abandon everything and leave for a completely foreign and unfamiliar country just for fun.

    Hello then.
    -- Да? Коту Ваське, бл##?
    -- Нет, Я кот Васька :-/

  3. #3
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Смоленск. Россия.
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0
    It was not just for the fun of it!
    My mother had wanted to come here, and she had fallen in love with the man, who she is still with!
    This is the reason!
    Константин Владимирович Калмыков

  4. #4
    DDT
    DDT is offline
    Завсегдатай DDT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm back now! ....nope Im gone again!
    Posts
    3,364
    Rep Power
    14
    I understand perfectly how one can lose their native language skills. For some time now I have been volunteering my time at a Middle school to help the new kids from Russia get by in the classes. Imagine sitting in a math or science or social studies class and only knowing a few words in English. Or trying to fit in with other kids that don't understand you. The urge to survive would make it easy for a kid to begin to forget.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    13
    Ты зачастую читаешь русские книги? Это мне кажется самый эффективный метод для того, чтобы не подзабыть свой русский.

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    Ты часто читаешь русские книги?
    "Зачастую" здесь не подходит.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  7. #7
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,645
    Rep Power
    32
    Интересная цитата.
    "...Несмотря на то, что чтение зачастую рассматривается как пассивный навык, исследования в области психолингвистики доказали, что на самом деле это весьма сложный процесс взаимодействия между читающим и текстом. Так, например, читающий не расшифровывает текст на родном языке линейным способом, слово за словом, а его глаза быстро пробегают по странице и помогают ему воспринимать значимые группы слов и соотносить их с обладаемой им невербальной информацией (т.е. к его знанию мира и темы написанного текста), как следствие – происходит извлечение смысла из текста.

    Таким образом, чтение может рассматриваться как процесс обработки информации. ..."

    http://iaas.msu.ru/res/lomo06/welan/sagoyan.htm
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)



  8. #8
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    0
    My mother had wanted to come here, and she had fallen in love with the man
    Hm, should we replace "and" with "that's why"?
    -- Да? Коту Ваське, бл##?
    -- Нет, Я кот Васька :-/

  9. #9
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Residing in an unknown place
    Posts
    1,400
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tailors
    My mother had wanted to come here, and she had fallen in love with the man
    Hm, should we replace "and" with "that's why"?
    Then we'll have to change the word order as well!
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

  10. #10
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    559
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    I understand perfectly how one can lose their native language skills. For some time now I have been volunteering my time at a Middle school to help the new kids from Russia get by in the classes. Imagine sitting in a math or science or social studies class and only knowing a few words in English. Or trying to fit in with other kids that don't understand you. The urge to survive would make it easy for a kid to begin to forget.
    tell me about it.
    Не плюй в колодец, пригодится водицы, напиться.

  11. #11
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: An introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by Kostik
    I find myself quite shocked _ reading what Nastya wrote below. My name is Konstantin and I was born into a Russian family in Smolensk and at the age of 14 i moved with my family to the United Kingdom. I live with my birth(?) mother and step dad. I do, however, still consider myself _ Russian as, of course, it is my native language. I speak it now poorer, especially in written form, but it is still my native language and, honestly(?), speaking never will change. I still, however, find it easier, for example, to count in Russian and to speak in Russian rather than in English, however I am using English more. The weirdest thing for me is the amount of words one loses. For example, a friend may ask me how do you say such an such and I just can't remember that word.
    I go to Smolensk normally during christmas and new year(not this year) in March and in summer for 2 months to stay with my grandmother and she sometimes says that some things I say just don't sound naturally to her anymore, this for me is quite annoying because I question myself, why does it not sound natural, if I was a native. So I decided to study _ the language a bit, but I find that I just can't, as everything I already know _ are in the courses, as I obviously grew up there. So my only way to really study it now is by paying more attention. I understand Russian completely, but I don't pay atttention to what I understand, therefore I am not reusing it. Does this make sense? =) haha

    So I thought I would leave a message here. I am of course happy to make recordings etc if anybody would like, and help to best i can. Learning of learners of the Russian language!

    =)
    Kostya
    Try taking Russian literacy tests, they will help show you the gaps you have in your native language!
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  12. #12
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tailors
    My mother had wanted to come here, and she had fallen in love with the man
    Hm, should we replace "and" with "that's why"?
    Maybe because it was crap in Smolensk?
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  13. #13
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tailors
    My mother had wanted to come here, and she had fallen in love with the man
    Hm, should we replace "and" with "that's why"?
    Не надо. Предложение не имело бы смысла.

  14. #14
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    9
    Why are you shocked, Kostya? It seems as our stories are quite similar.

  15. #15
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by nikolaevna
    Why are you shocked, Kostya? It seems as our stories are quite similar.
    Скорее всего, его удивляет, что ты забыла свой русский в такой большой степени. Он опасается, что то же самое могло бы происходить с его русским.

  16. #16
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    9
    Ah, but this probably will not happen if he goes to Smolensk yearly. There is plenty of opportunity to keep the language fresh with visits

  17. #17
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    0
    Не надо. Предложение не имело бы смысла.
    You didn't get my point. It was not a grammatical suggestion.
    -- Да? Коту Ваське, бл##?
    -- Нет, Я кот Васька :-/

  18. #18
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tailors
    Не надо. Предложение не имело бы смысла.
    You didn't get my point. It was not a grammatical suggestion.

    Аххх теперь я понял то, что ты имел в виду...

    Может быть, ты прав

  19. #19
    Завсегдатай chaika's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Чапелхилловка, NC USA
    Posts
    1,987
    Rep Power
    17
    as she had fallen in love

    In that sentence as = because

  20. #20
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,216
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    as she had fallen in love

    In that sentence as = because
    Да, конечно, но Винсент подразумевал, что она влюбилась в мужщину, потому что хотела переехать в Англию, а не наоборот.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Introduction
    By ВУИ0ФТВ in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 27th, 2009, 07:09 AM
  2. Help with dialog introduction
    By Clay in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: August 21st, 2007, 07:05 PM
  3. An Introduction and a Question
    By nikolaevna in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: December 31st, 2006, 06:32 AM
  4. Introduction
    By demoiselle in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: February 9th, 2006, 02:11 PM
  5. Short Introduction
    By Mile-O-Phile in forum Translate This!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 11th, 2004, 05:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary