Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hi,i'm new

Новичок

hi,i'm new

hello everyone! i'm new here. my weird friend says"Bonjour commrade!" yeah, i have weird friends. anyways, i really want to learn the language, andn i hope one of you guys could help me. also, i'm learning how to speak french so if any of you know that, i'd be very obliged with your help. anyways, i'm from the usa and am looking forward to emailing you guys/girls. talk to you later!

Sofia
    Little Russian Princess

Почтенный гражданин russkayalove's Avatar
    hi sofia! Nice name

Новичок
    thanks!whta is your name?how are you doing?
    Little Russian Princess

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofia
    thanks!whta is your name?how are you doing?
    Well for starters, heres the same thing in Russian

Спасибо! Как вас зовут? Как дела?
    Я знаю
    Что делаю
    Вилкою
    Пирогу

How to Post

Last edited by Darobat on Mon Mar 5, 1759 1:19 am; edited 243 times in total

Новичок
    hi darobat, nice to meet you too. i'm from the us, and am 15 years old. what about you?what do you like to do, how old are you, where do you live,etc.?oh, by the way thanks for the translation there, every little bit helps, but how do you pronounce it?and how do you type the russian letters on the keyboard?
    Little Russian Princess

Старший оракул
    A better translation:
    Спасибо! Как тебя зовут? Как дела?

(лучше "тебя", а не "вас" )
    Vrei să pleci dar nu ma, nu ma iei
    Nu ma, nu ma iei, nu ma, nu ma, nu ma iei
    Chipul tau si dragostea din tei
    Mi-amintesc de ochii tai

Новичок
    well, i guess i'll just have to take your word for it that it is a better translation. thanks! you better watch out Darobat, it seems you have a translation conpetetitor .
    Little Russian Princess

Старший оракул
    Well I've only been learning this myself for a few weeks now, so I'd expect so. Also, Евгения, wouldn't вас be better because we are techinacly still "strangers". Wouldn't you only use тебя if lets say you knew eachother for a while but some how magicaly forgot your friends name?

I really don't think either is better.

@Sofia
    Спасибо! Как вас зовут? Как дела?
    Spacibo! Kak vas zovut? Kak dela?

And check here for how to type in Russian.
    Я знаю
    Что делаю
    Вилкою
    Пирогу

How to Post

Завсегдатай
    The formal form of address is generally used only in real life(between adults who do not know each other). Young people, and people on the net in general use the informal form.

Как вас зовут? Как дела?
    As someone said earlier, "Как дела" is not really used as a standard "greeting" like it is in English-speaking countries("Hello, how are you?" "Good, how are you?"). You only use it when you actually want to know how the person is doing.

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    The formal form of address is generally used only in real life(between adults who do not know each other). Young people, and people on the net in general use the informal form.
    Ah, ok Pravit.
    Я знаю
    Что делаю
    Вилкою
    Пирогу

How to Post

Новичок
    thanks you guys! your awesome! happy valentine's day! mwah!
    Little Russian Princess

Завсегдатай
    Just curious, does anyone on this forum actually respond to "how are you" with "how are you"? Although I'm a native English speaker, I find it weird.

Новичок
    it is weird. i guess "how are you?" is going to replace "hi" soon . well, i'm doing great how about you darobat, how are you doing?
    Little Russian Princess

Завсегдатай
    So have I been speaking backwards English all this time? Because I respond to that question with how I really am doing, if I know the person. Which is why I didn't find it so strange that Russians do the same.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    So have I been speaking backwards English all this time? Because I respond to that question with how I really am doing,
    Me too. It took me a long time to figure out that when an American asks you “How are you doing” that he, really does not want to know. Well, I just tell them the truth now to piss them off, “ well I slept terribly last night because the cat kept throwing up fur balls on me and now I have got this crook in my neck, also some guy from a collection agency keeps bugging me about a credit card I never even had. Did I tell you about my Mum?”
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    So have I been speaking backwards English all this time? Because I respond to that question with how I really am doing,
    Me too. It took me a long time to figure out that when an American asks you “How are you doing” that he, really does not want to know. Well, I just tell them the truth now to piss them off, “ well I slept terribly last night because the cat kept throwing up fur balls on me and now I have got this crook in my neck, also some guy from a collection agency keeps bugging me about a credit card I never even had. Did I tell you about my Mum?”
    It sounds as though we need more DDTs out there.
    blame Canada

Старший оракул
    it is weird. i guess "how are you?" is going to replace "hi" soon . well, i'm doing great how about you darobat, how are you doing?
    Я очень хорошо, но мей русский язык не жороший достаточно говорить тебя как в Россиа

(Could some superb russian speaker please verify the correctness of that? Only looked up 1 word, достаточно.)
    Я знаю
    Что делаю
    Вилкою
    Пирогу

How to Post

Почтенный гражданин russkayalove's Avatar
    Well here's another DDT. I do the same thing. I hate it when people ask me in passing, "how are you?" b/c I don't have any time to actually give the correct response! When that happens, I usually just end up saying good, even if it is not true. B/c if you say bad, then you have to tell why, and you don't have time when just passing someone. Its definately one of the most stupid American gestures to ask someone how are you as they are walking away from you. Who came up with that???!!

Подающий надежды оратор PavelUSA's Avatar
    also I'm learning how to speak French
    how do you type the russian letters on the keyboard?
    There are 2 ways:

1) same way as people type French or any other -
    they add Russian keyboard layout via Control Panel, then switch keyboard to "RU" and type -
    same thing as adding French layout, switch to "FR" and type.

How to know where the letters are on a US keyboard while you are in "FR" or "RU" mode? Microsoft provides a page for that (moving your mouse to Shift button on their image gives upper-case layout):
    http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/refe ... oards.aspx

Also some people want to type in Russian a little bit easier - using so called phonetic (homophonic) layout where unlike the standard one from Microsoft, one can get Russian 'A' by pressing 'A' on US English keyboard, get Russian 'O' by pressing 'O', 'etc.
    Something like this (modifiable to your likes, a user can re-position letters):
    an image of a phonetic layout

All of the above is covered for all Windows flavors (95/98/ME; 2000; NT; XP) in the
    "Typing Russian on any keyboard: standard and phonetic layout" section of the site RusWin.net

2) If a person needs to type in Russian just occasionally or can not add Russian keyboard layout via Control Panel for some reasons (Internet-cafe, library, a university lab with Linux or Mac)
    then it's still possible to type exactly in the same fashion as (1) above explains, i.e. using your physical keyboard and either a standard layout or a phonetic one - such service is provided on Web pages called something like Virtual Russian Keyboard and here is my newest addition to that family:

........... Kbd.RusWin.net

Подающий надежды оратор
    Haha, a girl makes a post, then tons people flock to the post and reply, i find that funny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast