Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Halloween-Хелоуин

Почтенный гражданин
    You got your holidays confused here, comrade. Based on your statement you obviously are talking about another popular American holiday "April Fool's Day"!!!!

By the way, are Russians familiar with this holiday and if so, is it celebrated?
    They are and it is. The name is different though: “День смеха”.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriusly
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    St Valentine's Day....relates to love which is 'recognized' all over the world...
    You got your holidays confused here, comrade. Based on your statement you obviously are talking about another popular American holiday "April Fool's Day"!!!!

By the way, are Russians familiar with this holiday and if so, is it celebrated?
    I'm even not shure about it's American origin. As far as I know this "holiday" was brought to Russia by Peter the Great from Europe in the end of XVII century.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriusly
    St Valentine's Day....relates to love which is 'recognized' all over the world...

I can't understand why I got my holidays confused! Could you clarify this for me please? I don't have a clue what "April Fool's Day has to do with love. And you quoted my phrase stating that love is a term acknolwedged everywhere on earth, which makes me think that there's something the matter with this phrase.

I agree with adoc that the majority of people don't consider Halloween a religious holiday. I said earlier that I take the view that for most Halloween is just a day of fun.

As Triton's said, Russians are familiar with April Fool's Day and celebrate it. Though I don't think it's possible to celebrate a holiday such April Fool's Day. In what way can you celebrate it? Is fooling others called celebration? I doubt it...
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

A $5,000,000,000.00 holiday,
    A good day to blow off some steam.
    So what if it's a material holiday? I spent $20 on candy to keep the little bastards in the neighborhood quiet for a year!
    I'm easily amused late at night...

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by capecoddah
    So what if it's a material holiday? I spent $20 on candy to keep the little bastards in the neighborhood quiet for a year!
    Which holiday are you talking about? About Halloween, Fool's Day.... which one?

If you want to let off some steam, you could listen to classical music
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tailors
    It's a bad idea to celebrate a foreigners' holiday in our own country... I don't approve of such actions :-/ Even if it's not taken seriously at all. It is not ours.
    I don't think that Russia needs any more nationalism or xenophobia right now. It's regressing to a totalitarian state.

Quote Originally Posted by capecoddah
    Which holiday are you talking about? About Halloween, Fool's Day.... which one?

If you want to let off some steam, you could listen to classical music
    Halloween, of course
    [/b]
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeusTKP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Tailors
    It's a bad idea to celebrate a foreigners' holiday in our own country... I don't approve of such actions :-/ Even if it's not taken seriously at all. It is not ours.
    I don't think that Russia needs any more nationalism or xenophobia right now. It's regressing to a totalitarian state.
    Agree with ZeusTKP.
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian
    Agree with ZeusTKP.
    Конечно, из Далласа и из Чарльстона виднее, что происходит в России.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Agree with ZeusTKP.
    I don't think that you actually have to be in Russia, or any other country for that matter, in order to understand what is going on over three. It's 21st century y'all

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Agree with ZeusTKP.
    Ya rodilsya v moskve. U menya tam ostalis' rodstviniki. I ya tam ne davno bil. No nekotorie veshi mozhno sudit' ne smotrya gde naxodishsya, na primer voina v Irake i tsinzura v Rossie.

Почтенный гражданин
    No nekotorie veshi mozhno sudit' ne smotrya gde naxodishsya, na primer voina v Irake i tsinzura v Rossie.
    И что же не пропустила цензура интересно?

Завсегдатай
    No nekotorie veshi mozhno sudit' ne smotrya gde naxodishsya, na primer voina v Irake i tsinzura v Rossie.
    Я, даже живя в России, не знаю, что в России есть какие-то глобальные проблемы с цензурой. Так что, видимо, действительно неважно, где находишься.

По-моему, сейчас такое время (не только в России), что цензуры нет ВООБЩЕ. В принципе. Никакой. Иногда даже кажется, что она бы не помешала.
    А если и есть что-то такое из области политики, чего цензура не пропускает, то интересно, как же можно об этом узнать, находясь далеко за пределами страны?? Не каждой разведке это под силу, не то что рядовому эмигранту (на всякий случай, извини, ZeusTKP, если я тебя этими словами обидела).
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Подающий надежды оратор
    TV is state owned, for example.

But I don't feel very comfortable talking about this, even on the internet.

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    (на всякий случай, извини, ZeusTKP, если я тебя этими словами обидела).
    no, I'm very thick-skinned

Завсегдатай
    But I don't feel very comfortable talking about this, even on the internet.

О цензуре. В США мы ежедневно слушаем по радио или смотрим по ТВ и хвалу и критику своего Президента, своего правительства. А в Москве по ТВ критикуют вашего Президента? Нет. Значит, или он действительно бог или цензура есть.

Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    О цензуре. В США мы ежедневно слушаем по радио или смотрим по ТВ и хвалу и критику своего Президента, своего правительства. А в Москве по ТВ критикуют вашего Президента? Нет. Значит, или он действительно бог или цензура есть.
    Yep. Russia always had, and will have censorship. It will always be a police state!

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    А в Москве по ТВ критикуют вашего Президента?
    Да, критикуют.
    Может быть, это делают не журналисты. Но если есть человек, который захочет по ТВ высказать свое недовольство президентом и правительством, то он может это сделать. Это может быть какой-нибудь писатель или деятель культуры. И никто его за это не посадит.

Если журналисты выполняют заказ правительства (если это так), то это дело их совести. Но в России живут не только журналисты.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Почтенный гражданин
    Ну не знаю. Мне наше ТВ больше нравится. Разнообразнее и интереснее. Я могу сравнивать, у меня тарелочка стоит и наши каналы идут одновременно.
    Попса у нас еще хуже, чем на Западе это да, а про политику интереснее говорят. Кстати говоря, кого только по центральному ТВ не показывают. И Новодворскую и Борового. Какая цензура? Вы чё?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast