Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Great Novel

Actually, I really liked "Resurrection" the most of all Tolstoi's book I've read... although I "read" Anne Karenina on audiobook, I think that spoiled it...
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    Hey War and Peace is totally cool, man! I skipped most of the epilogues though...
    Epilogue was hell! I was 13 and I had that stuff to read during summer. 4 volumes is much for a 13 years old boy. I knew better summers in my life.

It's very hard to read because Tolstoy had a sadistic tendency to leap into French so I had to jump from the text to footnotes and back all the time. I absolutely hated it.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    Hey War and Peace is totally cool, man! I skipped most of the epilogues though...
    Epilogue was hell! I was 13 and I had that stuff to read during summer. 4 volumes is much for a 13 years old boy. I knew better summers in my life.

It's very hard to read because Tolstoy had a sadistic tendency to leap into French so I had to jump from the text to footnotes and back all the time. I absolutely hated it.
    Лол, почему они не переводят эти фразы с французского на русский для того, что не надо проверять со сносками... Или по меньшей мере, сноски должны быть на французском, и текст на русском, потому что я предполагаю, что большинство людей не говорит по-французски. Так было бы намного легче... В английской версии все написано по-английски...

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Yeah, that was a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by basurero
    Лол, почему они не переводят эти фразы с французского на русский для того, что не надо проверять со сносками... ..... ... В английской версии все написано по-английски...
    Tolstoy would be furious.

Увлечённый спикер
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Quote Originally Posted by EmDii
    Она не смешная, если я часто смеюсь, когда её читаю?
    Это еще не показатель
    В книге может быть много смешного, но это не значит, что книга в целом смешная.
    Ладно.
    I'm but a beginner in Russian, so please correct me.
    However, I'm supposed to be good in English, so if you correct me there, I become very angry! Grr!
    And if you, for some reason, need help in Finnish, I'm glad to help.

Завсегдатай
    Лол, почему они не переводят эти фразы с французского на русский, чтобы_ не надо было смотреть сноски... Или по меньшей мере, сноски должны быть на французском, а текст на русском, потому что я предполагаю, что большинство людей не говорит по-французски. Так было бы намного легче...
    Я, когда читала "Войну и мир", почти выучила французский.
    Кстати, это важно, когда герой говорит на французском, а когда на русском. Русские люди из высшего общества в то время часто на французском языке говорили лучше, чем на родном.

В английской версии все написано по-английски...
    Ну еще бы Я и не сомневалась
    В "английских версиях" русской классики даже одна глава из "Братьев Карамазовых" выпускается отдельной книжкой... Специально для "англичан"
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Почтенный гражданин
    My mother told me, that's how she decided to learn French, she opened War and peace and saw a big passage in French , so that's how she decided to learn French

Anyway Huckleberry, I never liked this book I was in love with Tom Sawyer, all my childhood.
    Не плюй в колодец, пригодится водицы, напиться.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Remyisme
    My mother told me, that's how she decided to learn French, she opened War and peace and saw a big passage in French , so that's how she decided to learn French

Anyway Huckleberry, I never liked this book I was in love with Tom Sawyer, all my childhood.
    I liked Finn better, especially that part where he tricked his father and where he and Jim were going down the river on the raft. The chapters about vendetta guys were also intense.

I didn't like how Tom and Huck tried to free Jim, it was very funny but at the same time their stupidity irritated me immensely, and I felt that Twain tried to show that Tom is too childish and selfish unlike Huckleberry. And when I was six I didn't like moralizing of that kind.
    I liked that Tom was shot, though. I liked books about WWII and was really bloodthirsty at the age. I believed you can't be a real hero untill you're shot a couple of times.

It wasn't my favourite, but it's really nice book. I read it a few times and probably will read again after that discussion.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    I believed you can't be a real hero untill you're shot a couple of times.
    Well, I hope you get your wish, %^((^%$$!!
    DO IT YOURSELF!

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriusly
    Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    I believed you can't be a real hero untill you're shot a couple of times.
    Well, I hope you get your wish, %^((^%$$!!
    Nope, I never wished to be that kind of hero.

Властелин
    Argh! Anyone mentioned Theodore Dreiser and Kurt Vonnegut yet?

And no, I don't like War and Peace or anything else by LT. Though I am sure he was getting a huge female audience back when he was alive.
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by adoc
    Argh! Anyone mentioned Theodore Dreiser and Kurt Vonnegut yet?

And no, I don't like War and Peace or anything else by LT. Though I am sure he was getting a huge female audience back when he was alive.
    I didn't mention Dreiser, but I recommended Vonnegut in the "English for Russians" section.

Властелин
    Does anyone here actually like War and Peace?
    I want to warn that what I'm going to say now won't be based on any facts because I haven't read War and Peace, as I said above. I think that I wouldn't have liked the novel if I'd read it as compulsory reading at school. The reason for this is I might not have understood it at the time. The thing is - as a schoolboy, I didn't realy like Literature but as soon as I entered university I took to reading various books (including Russian classics). I intend to read "War and Peace" in about two years' time. By the way, what some people do here is they read a lot of Russian classics at school and re-read them many years after the first reading. And virtually all of them claim that they start seeing them in a different way.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    I want to warn that what I'm going to say now won't be based on any facts because I haven't read War and Peace, as I said above. I think that I wouldn't have liked the novel if I'd read it as compulsory reading at school. The reason for this is I might not have understood it at the time. The thing is - as a schoolboy, I didn't realy like Literature but as soon as I entered university I took to reading various books (including Russian classics). I intend to read "War and Peace" in about two years' time. By the way, what some people do here is they read a lot of Russian classics at school and re-read them many years after the first reading. And virtually all of them claim that they start seeing them in a different way.
    Да ты прав. В школе я редко читал книги, особенно классики. А теперь они мне нравятся.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    В школе я редко читал книги, особенно классики. А теперь они мне нравятся.
    Да, я тоже! Ранще не любил читать, а сейчас даже люблю читать об истории и биографиях.

Но, есть сейчас проблема! Я начал изучать этот сумасшедший язык больще чем два года назад, но с тех пор, у меня не было достаточно времиня для этого. (читая, имею виду!)
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Завсегдатай
    Да, ты прав. В школе я редко читал книги, особенно классиков. А теперь они мне нравятся.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Да, я тоже! Раньше не любил читать, а сейчас даже люблю читать об истории и биографиях.

Но, есть сейчас проблема! Я начал изучать этот сумасшедший язык больше, чем два года назад, но с тех пор_ у меня не было достаточно времени для этого. (для чтения, имею в виду!)

Почтенный гражданин
    Это все, потому что дети тупые. Ненавижу детей.

Quote Originally Posted by DagothWarez
    Ты просто не умеешь их готовить.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    Да ты прав. В школе я редко читал книги, особенно классики. А теперь они мне нравятся.
    Восприятие мира у меня просто другое сформировалось, поэтому я начал понимать то, про что писали классики.

P.S. you can also say: особенно классику

Дети не тупые, я считаю. Дело всё в том, что у них другие совершенно интересы. Тебе в детстве нравились чтоли классики?
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast