Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Going to Russia

Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    I have an adapter. I just left it in my flat!

The airport was not busy and I was surprised how little traffic there was......that is until we got into a certain part of St Petes! No one tried to get me to take their taxi etther, only one guy even asked me, while I was standing on the curb.

Well, I wandered around Nevsky Prospect last night. It is really a happening place, St Petes. The people in general are great. They look good too! I feel more at home here than I do in New York or Los Angeles. For me, it is certainly not cold, yet! I am used to spending entire days outside on the back of a horse in 30 below zero degrees Fahrenheit weather. Perhaps in January I will feel the cold.

I have a cell phone and a Metro Pass thingy and no one has asked me for my Passport or beat me up. From the look of things so far, there is more chance of that happening in L.A. or somewhere else. The one rumour that is true is that ....all Russian chicks are hot! As a matter of fact...let me take that back. I don't any more people coming here to ruin things!

Nobody speaks English to me, not even the people in whom's home I am staying. Well one bar tender last night spoke a little. At the school I am attending it is forbidden for even students to speak in their native languages. If they are heard talking English or so, there is a jar that they must put a few coins in as a fine. I must be blending in well because several people have stopped me on the street to ask me directions.

Also I have not seen anyone named "VendingMachine"

The only thing that has bothered me is the legless soldier who get on the metro train, standing straight backed on two stumps and announces, "Помогете мне, пожалуйста!" People immediately take out a few roubles and give it to him. Doesn't the government take care of their wounded soldiers?
    You haven't been beaten up once yet? Well then you haven't really experienced St. Petes yet! The joy of rolling in pain while undislocating your jaw is priceless! Unfortunately that never happened to me... or anyone I knew of

Are the bridges still opening at night? Have you stayed up for the spetacle?
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    I haven't seen the bridges opening. Probably because I don't stay out late.......yet! When my Russian gets better I will probably not sleep!!
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    I haven't seen the bridges opening. Probably because I don't stay out late.......yet! When my Russian gets better I will probably not sleep!!
    Well, you better hurry up and study hard, because they stop opening the bridges at night during the winter... no point since the river is frozen... But it is quite a sight, especially when the last car that wants to make it over the bridge before it opens ends up in the Neva. That IS quite a sight!

Почтенный гражданин
    Wow. That's hardcore. Does everyone then applaud as if its customary for such things to happen?
    Correct my mistakes and I will give you +1 internets.

Weheeey, DDT - WTG! I'm terribly jealous and also hope you're having a fab time

As for the fake beggars, they're not unique to Russia, we have plenty of them here. Usually gipsy women, who beg with a baby on their arm, looking very decrepit, on big crossroads. Around 5.30 they're picked up, either by a man in a van, if there's a lot of them, or else by a man in a shiny new BMW (it's not something I've heard, I see it happening regularly).
    The young girls who sell roses to tourists in the centre of town: same thing. It's organised, and the kids have to give all they earn to their "leader".

It takes all sorts to make a world.....
    Ой, голова у меня кружится |-P ...... and my brain hurts too....

Завсегдатай
    I wish i was in russia you lucky dag. Are you dagging it up acting all daggy? I would be!
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Actually I have taken to walking the streets with my mp3 and it set to FM, listening to Russian FM radio. It gives me a feel for the music and language. I dunno if it's daggy or not but I like it!

The skies above the crowded streets look so grey here and it always seems a little dark and daunting. It is still dark when I walk to the metro in the mornings. But I love it because it suits my anti personality. And how do these girls manage to walk the miles they do in those high and sometimes needle like stiletto heels?
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Красота требует жертв!

Почтенный гражданин
    только дамочки...

Quote Originally Posted by xRoosterx
    только дамочки...
    Только ли мне кажется, что это пост лишён всякого смысла?
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

мне кажется, что он хотел сказать "только женщины [мог бы так сделать]" ("Only women...")

Почтенный гражданин
    Ну..'дамочка' не только женщины, но это значает 'высокий класс' (?), претенциозных женщиням...хю, и мои ошибки теперь, пожалуйста.

Почтенный гражданин
    Ну..'дамочка' не только женщины, но это значает 'высокий класс' (?), претенциозных женщиням...хю, и мои ошибки теперь, пожалуйста.
    "дамочка" - уничижительное от слова "дама". Т.е. лекгомысленные, глупенькие и т.д.
    В общем, ничего хорошего
    "Все" и "Сразу" это "Ничего" и "Никогда"
    Please correct me when I'm wrong

Я вообще подумал, что DDT написал про путан. Редчайший случай, если встретишь на улице девчонку не в джинсах, а он про какие-то шпильки...

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by BappaBa
    Я вообще подумал, что DDT написал про путан. Редчайший случай, если встретишь на улице девчонку не в джинсах, а он про какие-то шпильки...
    Встречеается такая ужасная комбинация — джинсы + шпильки... Бр-р-р...
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

(Many times I do not understand what you are trying to say. I think it would be easier to help you if you added the same in English.)
    Ну, слово "дамочка" показывает, что речь идёт не просто о женщинах, а о женщинах "высокого класса", о женщинах с претензиями.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Завсегдатай
    Ой, что-то с этим "высоким классом" не так.) Напоминает о местах в самолёте.)) Стоимость которых зависит от класса.)))
    Согласитесь, нехорошая ассоциация для женщин. Хоть и правдивая по отношению к некоторым.))) Но на шпильках ходят не только они.

Я бы не сказала также, что на шпильках расхаживают только дамы из высшего света. Это всё настолько индивидуально...

Вообще, kalinka_vinnie уже ответил на вопрос. Коротко и ясно.
    Красота требует жертв!
    If you have problems with both posting new messages and sending PMs, you can send an e-mail to the Forum Administrator here:
    http://masterrussian.net/sendmessage.php
    У меня что-то с почтой, на ЛС ответить не могу. (

Старший оракул
    Красота требует жертв!
    Или законодатели мод (такие как DDT) требуют жертв!
    Please correct my mistakes if you can, especially article usage.
    My avatar shall be the author I'm currently reading.

Завсегдатай
    Они не требуют, жертвы сами приносят себя в жертву.
    If you have problems with both posting new messages and sending PMs, you can send an e-mail to the Forum Administrator here:
    http://masterrussian.net/sendmessage.php
    У меня что-то с почтой, на ЛС ответить не могу. (

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaya
    Они не требуют, жертвы сами приносят себя в жертву.
    +1
    "Сейчас без языка нельзя... из тебя шапку сделают..."
    Cogito Ergo Doleo

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast