Thread: Garry Potter and the philosophical stone

Увлечённый спикер

Garry Potter and the philosophical stone

Has anyone tried reading the Russian translation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone?

Is it me or is it translated rather loosely? The jokes don't seem to be translated, but explained, as though for the hard of thinking. And I have my doubts about the accuracy of some of the translations (like the title, for instance). The Dursleys appear to have moved to London, instead of Little Whingeing, Surrey. Has the translator misunderstood the finer points of English, or has he (or she) been told to dumb it down?

Actually, given how hard it was to track down a copy in Russian, I suspect most Russians aren't interested in a story about a pre-teen wizard from Surrey or anywhere else. Is the film available in Russia, and if so, did anyone watch it?

Старший оракул

Re: Garry Potter and the philosophical stone

Has anyone tried reading the Russian translation of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone?

Is it me or is it translated rather loosely? The jokes don't seem to be translated, but explained, as though for the hard of thinking. And I have my doubts about the accuracy of some of the translations (like the title, for instance). The Dursleys appear to have moved to London, instead of Little Whingeing, Surrey. Has the translator misunderstood the finer points of English, or has he (or she) been told to dumb it down?

Actually, given how hard it was to track down a copy in Russian, I suspect most Russians aren't interested in a story about a pre-teen wizard from Surrey or anywhere else. Is the film available in Russia, and if so, did anyone watch it?
    Which translation do you mean? There are several of them around. Even the official publisher had to change translation under pressure of criticism. You can still find unofficial translations in the Internet despite all efforts of Rowling's representatives.
    Налево пойдёшь - коня потеряешь, направо пойдёшь - сам голову сложишь.
    Прямой путь не предлагать!

Увлечённый спикер
    Which translation do you mean? There are several of them around.
    Rosman, hardback, 2005.

It was the only copy I could find on the internet, I didn't know there were others.

Старший оракул
    [quote:3iy2b6px]Which translation do you mean? There are several of them around.
    Rosman, hardback, 2005.

It was the only copy I could find on the internet, I didn't know there were others.[/quote:3iy2b6px]

Rosman's Potter was "awarded" at 2002 by two anti-prizes "Абзац": for the worst translation and for the worst proofreading. I don't know what corrections they made in the edition published in 2005. I read the translation by Маша Спивак.
    Налево пойдёшь - коня потеряешь, направо пойдёшь - сам голову сложишь.
    Прямой путь не предлагать!