Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Estonia goes berserk!

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    Why do you automatically assume that being occupied by the SU was subjectively better than being occupied by the Nazis? They were both unwelcome, brutal, oppresive, foreign powers. The only difference, from Estonia's point of view, is that the SU won and was able to build monuments with insincere and hypocritical inscriptions.

Had Germany won the war, that memorial would have commemorated погибших в борьбе против коммунизма (though it would have been in German), and it would have been just as unwelcome by the Estonians 60 years later.
    The inscription on this monument was, to my memory, "to the liberators of Tallinn". The people buried there did take their part in liberating Estonia from fascism, and they died fighting against the Nazi forces. The Soviet occupation of Estonia, if they suppose that it was occupation, could happen only after the German military regime which previously controlled the country was defeated. By that time they were already dead. So by replacing the monument they show their disrespect to the young people who lost their lives saving the world from Hitler's Nationalsozialismus, nothing else. If the sad and tired man on the monument hurts their nationalistic feelings, they should attend a psychiatrist.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by pisces
    The inscription on this monument was, to my memory, "to the liberators of Tallinn".
    I was using Yazeed's phrase to make a point.

The people buried there did take their part in liberating Estonia from fascism, and they died fighting against the Nazi forces. The Soviet occupation of Estonia, if they suppose that it was occupation, could happen only after the German military regime which previously controlled the country was defeated. By that time they were already dead. So by replacing the monument they show their disrespect to the young people who lost their lives saving the world from Hitler's Nationalsozialismus, nothing else. If the sad and tired man on the monument hurts their nationalistic feelings, they should attend a psychiatrist.
    That's just it though. The Estonians (and pretty much everyone else in the whole world) don't view the SU's actions in the Baltic states as liberation. The SU didn't "liberate" Estonia from fascism in 1944 any more than the Nazis "liberated" Estonia from communism in 1941. "To liberate" means "to set free". Neither the Nazis nor the SU ever intended to do anything of the sort, they both intended to occupy and subjugate. The only difference between the two is that the SU won and got to write the post-war propaganda, and Germany didn't.

Code:
    - Interesting forwards from Titanic users (2:5020/830.24) --- TITANIC.FORWARD -
     Msg  : 489 of 489
     From : Igor Moroz                          2:5020/830.14   30 apr 07, 04:20
     To   : All                                                 30 apr 07, 15:08
     Subj : центральная эстонская газета Postimees
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    @RealName: Игорь Мороз, г.Санкт-Петербург Мурманской обл.
    @Warning! Это письмо является провокацией.
    =============================================================================
    * Forwarded by Igor Moroz (2:5020/830.14)
    * Area : 1080.forwards (1080.forwards)
    * To   : ALL
    * Subj : центральная эстонская газета Postimees
    Здpавствуйте ALL!

=== CUT ===
    "Hа нем одежда от Hugo Boss. В кармане у него кулек с семечками. Он ненавидит
    фашистов. Вероятно, по этим признакам криминальная полиция и полиция
    безопасности будут определять уличных грабителей и воров, принявших участие в
    Таллине в массовом присвоении и разрушении чужого имущества.

Конечно, городские мостовые уже не первый раз за долгую историю испытывают
    набег варваров. Однако с последнего подобного случая прошло все же 66 лет, и
    это пришлось на военное время. В мирное время историки такого не припоминают.

Тогда, в 1941 году, <победители>, чьи потомки буянили давеча на улицах города, 
    безжалостно покинули Таллин, отдав его немцам, оставив совершенно разграбленный
    и горящий город. Через четыре года они вернулись, предали земле чертову дюжину 
    гробов в центре города и воздвигли монумент какому-то неизвестному солдату. Они
    даже не знают, а всего лишь предполагают, кого же они там похоронили.

Полсотни лет вокруг памятника устраивали комедии, чтили память неизвестных
    захороненных и даже ставили несчастных подростков в пилотках с ружьями охранять
    весь этот балаган. Газопровод, который десятилетиями отапливал воздух, и
    впоследствии еще зажигали по заказу престарелых ветеранов. Эти старички и
    ходили туда погреться после майских праздников, выпить водочки да иногда
    немного поплясать.

Газеты всегда публиковали цветные фотографии, напоминавшие странную клоунаду, в
    которой участвовали женщины с бородой или танцующие медведи, увешанные
    экзотическими бубенцами. Даже полиция безопасности, стоящая через дорогу,
    иногда отбирала в свой ежегодный альбом какую-нибудь хорошую фотографию с этих 
    праздников.

15 лет в Эстонии говорили об интеграции как о неком чуде. Чиновники и политики 
    проповедовали, какими лояльными являются все эти товарищи, доставшиеся в
    наследство от Советской родины. А их отпрыски - так вообще как собственные
    дети, проходят языковое погружение и прочее.

Hо стоило лишь эстонскому государству проявить немного решитель-ности, слегка
    подзадеть российских офицеров в отставке - и неизвестный показал на Тынисмяги
    свою истинную личину. Из-за бронзовой маски смотрело совершенно новое лицо, а
    вернее говоря, уже забытое старое. И это был не солдат, и не другой
    цивилизованный человек, - это был самый настоящий русский выродок. Мы уже было 
    почти забыли о его существовании.
    Иногда в темной подворотне или на пустыре спального района он напоминал нам о
    своем существовании ударом кулака, но до сих пор особого вреда все же не
    причинял. Жил себе как будто в ином пространстве, в ином мире, в своем коконе, 
    а компанию ему составляли пропагандистские российские телеканалы. Для нас, а
    особенно для государства, это было удобно - проблемы не было.

Hо, мало того, кое-какие политики, например Эдгар Сависаар, умеют обращаться с 
    этим обществом и нравится ему. Когда-то у политиков было такое клише - посылать
    сигналы. Свои сигналы Сависаар шлет местному русскому населению все время,
    успешно конкурируя с Останкинской телебашней и флиртуя, но не произнося своего 
    четкого <да>. Однако оставим чувства и флирт частной жизни политиков.

За прошедшие недели без маски остался не только неизвестный русский выродок, но
    и Сависаар. И если последний затаился в таллинской мэрии и изрыгает оттуда
    через председателя городского совета Тоомаса Витсута свои желчные послания, то 
    русский выродок бродит по улицам и просто нарывается на разборки.

Ему мало нового костюма, раздобытого позапрошлой ночью в бутике Hugo Boss, мало
    джинсов из магазина Marlboro и солнечных очков Diesel за 250 долларов,
    украденных в оптике.

Он почувствовал вкус, он воспрял духом, а на улице стоит хорошая погода, и
    офицеры в отставке подарят при необходимости бутылку водки. Под возгласы <Все
    наше!> они снова рванут рушить и грабить, при этом трезво взвешивая и тщательно
    наше!> выбирая, что украсть.

Защитим же ненадолго наши окна ДСП-плитами, будем настороже и прикроем
    алкогольные магазины - этот источник их смелости. Hе впервой нам защищать свое 
    государство. Переживем и эту интеграцию. И будем обращаться с неизвестным
    выродком, как он того заслуживает."
    === CUT ===

P.S. Без коментариев, просто прочитате статью, так оценивает эстонское общество
    происходящее, конфликт из политического постепенно перехо-дит на уровень
    межнациональной розни и в совецкие времена то и дело с по ночам с горы Томпеа
    сбрасывали то русских то эстонцев, и разборки бывали, но до такой точки кипения
    никогда ещё не доходило, сейчас же уровень ожесточённости перешёл все грани...
    Hа помощь полиции призвано "вооружённое население" - кайтселиит.
    Из разговора на улице двух женщин разной национальности: "Если бы вы знали как 
    мы вас ненавидим вам бы стало очень страшно". - и не важно кто именно это
    сказал ...

Ivan

-+- http://nicegift.mmpro.ru/
     + Origin: <<Как отвратительно в России по утрам>> (2:5030/1537)

How much is the fish, All?

Bye, All! Извини, что без скандала ,)    Cul8r ;)
    ... "FreeBSD - Бзди свободно!!!"
    --- Кто сказал "Да пошёл ты..."?
     * Origin: Вот как гнать надо... ;) (2:5020/830.14)
    Send me a PM if you need me.

JJ
    Властелин
    That's just it though. The Estonians (and pretty much everyone else in the whole world) don't view the SU's actions in the Baltic states as liberation. The SU didn't "liberate" Estonia from fascism in 1944 any more than the Nazis "liberated" Estonia from communism in 1941. "To liberate" means "to set free".
    So, if the US military bases still are in German, Japan, Iraq, Afganistan etc. dont you think that these countries are not free now? Because the existence of foreign military forces is OCCUPATION... Or may be these countries just not quite "liberated"...
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ
    So, if the US military bases still are in German, Japan, Iraq, Afganistan etc. dont you think that these countries are not free now? Because the existence of foreign military forces is OCCUPATION... Or may be these countries just not quite "liberated"...
    Honestly, that is possibly the silliest argument I have ever seen on this forum, on so many levels.

Well done.

Почтенный гражданин
    That's just it though. The Estonians (and pretty much everyone else in the whole world) don't view the SU's actions in the Baltic states as liberation. The SU didn't "liberate" Estonia from fascism in 1944 any more than the Nazis "liberated" Estonia from communism in 1941. "To liberate" means "to set free". Neither the Nazis nor the SU ever intended to do anything of the sort, they both intended to occupy and subjugate. The only difference between the two is that the SU won and got to write the post-war propaganda, and Germany didn't.
    I think there's still a huge difference between the SU and the people who were killed in that particular event. If they were going to demolish a statue of Lenin (a pure symbol of the Soviet propaganda), no one would object. But such a "tomb raid" for political purposes is at least immoral.
    By the way Germany, which was first totally occupied and then torn into two parts, treats the Soviet monuments and memorials well (sometimes even better than we do). Perhaps because they are, in contrast with Estonia, a great and successful country and they respect their history.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by pisces
    I think there's still a huge difference between the SU and the people who were killed in that particular event. If they were going to demolish a statue of Lenin (a pure symbol of the Soviet propaganda), no one would object. But such a "tomb raid" for political purposes is at least immoral.
    I tend to agree with you.

However real the tensions in Estonia between the indiginous population and the ethnic Russian minority, and however much this memorial was acting as a flashpoint between the two, they must have known that removing it would make the situation worse rather than better. It's difficult not to detect at least a touch of spite in that decision (to say nothing of the dubious policies causing that tension in the first place).

By the way Germany, which was first totally occupied and then torn into two parts, treats the Soviet monuments and memorials well (sometimes even better than we do). Perhaps because they are, in contrast with Estonia, a great and successful country and they respect their history.
    Slightly different situation though. Estonians went practically overnight from an Estonian minority living in a country with a large Russian majority to an Estonian majority living in a country with a large Russian minority. It was a complete, instant role-reversal. Has that ever happened anywhere else? It was always going to result in resentment, on both sides.

Завсегдатай
    Scotcher, awa' ye glaikit russophobe!
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

Stop worrying about Estonia. It lies on the outskirts of the civilization and will always be there. That dismantling of the monument means nothing to history (neither does Estonia itself). They jump out of their shoes to take its part in the wolrd's history but this part will remain small and unimportant. Everyone would hate to be unimportant but somebody just has to be. Estonia WAS unimportant in the past, Estonia IS unimportant now and Estonia will always be unimportant in the future. Just don't talk about it.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Quote Originally Posted by Leof
    There was no such a reason for replacing the graves and the monument, I suspect. The only reason was to tease Russia.
    I think the word provoke, instead of tease, would be better in this sense.
    Find out all about Malaysia here!

Почтенный гражданин
    Торонто (столица мира), Канадская Советская Социалистическая Республика (КССР)
    Quote Originally Posted by tohca
    Quote Originally Posted by Leof
    There was no such a reason for replacing the graves and the monument, I suspect. The only reason was to tease Russia.
    I think the word provoke, instead of tease, would be better in this sense.
    This is a colloquial, informal discussion, and as such, the word 'tease' here is perfectly acceptable. But yes, in a more "formal" discourse, the word 'provoke' is much preferred.
    "С чий очи сънувам, чий е този лик обречен?
    Смъртен глас ми се причува и отеква с вик далечен
    Как да зърна да погледна, чуждий образ да прегърна,
    на лицето ми студено грях в надежда да превърна.."

JJ
    Властелин
    the silliest argument I have ever seen
    Ok. If you assert it - prove it.

Though I've made sure that the russohpobe logic is very perverted.
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

Властелин
    the silliest argument I have ever seen
    Ok. If you assert it - prove it.
    The comparison is so stupid in so many ways I hardly know where to start.

First off, it doesn't matter what I think, because I wasn't describing my reasoning, I was describing the Estonian nationalist's reasoning. I have no blooming idea whether they think those countries are free, and what difference that makes to the question at hand anyway.

Second, none of the countries you mentioned were ever occupied by a second party, so there was no-one to liberate them from. They were attacked, defeated, and occupied. End of. 'Liberate' never had anything to do with it, except in the more desparate justifications of the American right in the run up to the two recent wars, which no-one else bought for a second anyway. So your comparison is utterly meaningless.

Thirdly, no, I don't think they are all free. I think Japan and Germany are free, because they were handed back sovereignty decades ago, and have had democratically elected governments ever since. They were occupied as long it took to establish that new government. Yes, there are still US and British forces in Germany, and US forces in Japan, but they are there with the consent of those country's governments (in fact, the US has threatened to remove it's bases from Germany many times, and each time the german government has complained, because it would damage the local economies). Iraq and Afganistan are certainly not free at the moment (not that they were ever free before), but those occupations aren't going to last one second longer than is necessary, purely because they are so expensive and unpopular with the populations of the occupying countries.

Estonia, on the other hand, was annexed into a totalitarian empire for half a century. How you can even make the comparison with a straight face is beyond me. Unless you think Iraq and Afganistan are about to become the 51st and 52nd states of the USA?

Though I've made sure that the russohpobe logic is very perverted.
    I don't even know what you are trying to say here, but apparently it involves calling me a russophobe. Just the usual pathetic name-calling nationalists always revert to when someone refuses to side with their hysterical position then. Why didn't you go the whole hog and call me a fascist?

Завсегдатай
    Thank you, Scotcher, for your comment - now we all see how little you know. Off you go and learn your history.
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    ... now we all see how little you know. Off you go and learn your history.
    Это не метод ведения дискуссий.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Меня больше всего волнует то, за что полицейские убили россиянина, и почему в Таллине запретили больше двух не собираться. Меня также волнует что это за ускоренные суды для того, чтобы упрятать в тюрьму демонстрантов. Меня также волнует почему, выйдя из стостава СССР мирным путем, этонцы рассуждают о какой-то оккупации. Стоит ли удивляться тем совковым методам, котроые Эстония использует в данной ситуации? Откуда взяться демократии в Эстонии, если она унаследовала совок.

Надо сказать до советской власти Балтийские страны вообще ничего из себя не предстваляли, и их рождение и становление по сути дела было при совествкой власти. Ну и что мы видим? Совок, направленный, нет не против коммунистов, а совок, который направлен против русских.

Здесь вопрос не в памятнике, а в том что Эстонская сторона не пошла на переговоры по данному вопросу, и отклонила все предложения, специально спровоцировав данную ситуацию. Ведь можно было ситуацию решить без скандала, так, чтобы и памятника не было и обе стороны были бы удовлетвоерны. И здесь Эстонцам не нужно удивляться, что как только Россия станет чуть крепче, она будет давить и измываться над Балтикой самым бессовестным образом. И европейцы здесь не помогут, ибо в внешней политике они не меньшие предатели, чем русские, а может и большие. И как только перед развитыми европейкими странами замаячат русские бабки, Эстония будет забыта.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Это называется Ad hominem, или argumentum ad hominem — в дискуссии ответ на аргумент, основанный не на его сути и объективных рассуждениях, а на личности конкретного человека, выдвинувшего этот аргумент. Зачастую представляет собой «переход на личности», или argumentum ad personam — личные нападки, состоящие в критике или оскорблении оппонента.

Демагогия часто содержит в себе аргументацию ad hominem.
    English Edition

В обычных странах церковь отделена от государства, а в России - от Бога.

Quote Originally Posted by mishau_
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampada
    Это называется Ad hominem, или argumentum ad hominem — в дискуссии ответ на аргумент, основанный не на его сути и объективных рассуждениях, а на личности конкретного человека, выдвинувшего этот аргумент. Зачастую представляет собой «переход на личности», или argumentum ad personam — личные нападки, состоящие в критике или оскорблении оппонента.
    Демагогия часто содержит в себе аргументацию ad hominem.
    Спасибо, Мишенька! Возьму это на вооружение.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Завсегдатай
    mishau_, не сочти за влезание в дема... дискуссию, но почему "эстонский" и "эстонцы" с прописной буквы?
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    mishau_, не сочти за влезание в дема... дискуссию, но почему "эстонский" и "эстонцы" с прописной буквы?
    Тёма, ну а почему и некоторых запятых нет?
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Тёма, ну а почему и некоторых запятых нет?
    Не так выделяется.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast