Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drugs in Russia

Почтенный гражданин
    I heard that it is a big problem in Russia now. I can't witness it myself, have not been to Russia for 8 years.
    DO NOT READ MY SIGNATURE!

Почтенный гражданин
    My only experience with drugs in Russia was when I got an inflamed trachea and the creepy German doctor at the creepy hospital gave me some painkillers that totally ****ed me up.

JB
    Старший оракул
    I don't know the statistics on Russian drug use but it is very common now to frequently see dirty syringes in the parks and on the street walkways in Moscow. I am nervous about wearing sandles because many times I have almost stepped on these syringes.
    Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Почтенный гражданин

Завсегдатай
    Erm, hm. An interesting find, Pioner.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Absolutely surreal. It would actually be a great idea for an article in 'The Onion' newspaper.
    If only you could see . . . what I have seen, with your eyes.

Почтенный гражданин
    hey, that picture is a joke, do not take it seriously.

Actually, I thought it was hilarious. BTW, 'The Onion' is a satirical publication which is very funny sometimes.
    If only you could see . . . what I have seen, with your eyes.

Почтенный гражданин
    yes, I check out The Onion sometimes, it is good.

Властелин
    I'd say that the drug use is about the same in Russia as in the US (on average; US is a more fractured society in a way so there are more variation place to place and even block to block than in Russia). Although the actual mix is different, from the US and place to place.

I haven't been home for several years, so it might be different now still, but shortly -- MDMA is about as popular as here, MJ is about the same I guess, it definitely seemed that heroin use was on a major rise. Also homemade stuff (primarily vint, have no idea if there is any US analogue) seemed rather widespread. Also, I am not sure how old this problem is (it was not present 6 years ago, I believe) there is a legal over the counter opiate (tramadole) that the junkies just buy without prescription or anything (I'm talking about Ukraine). There is some pressure to require prescriptions but nothing has been done so far afaik

Other stuff was much less popular, I've never heard of anyone using cocaine or crack for example. Although things change.

If a Russian person is caught with a small amount of drugs he'll likely get off by bribing the police. Since you are a foreigner, it will be harder, and the bribe required will be much larger. So I'd suggest not getting caught.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioner
    well, in Russia he would go for 5-6 years. And believe me, Russian jail is not a place to be, american jail is a sanotorium comparing to that.

and it probably depends on state, here in California I was in a court for speeding ticket. Next to me there was sitting a guy. He was called before me. I did not pay much attention in the begining, and then, what I heard freaked me out, that kid was trying to sell some amount of marijuana to his neighbor. My got, I was sitting next to drug dealer. I understand, I am not an angel, I was really speeding, but I do not think that it should be considered a crime on the same level like selling drugs.
    I'd say that, quite frankly, you were the more dangerous criminal of you two
    I'd also venture to say that back home your family belongs to the "gnilaya intelligentsiya"

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Haksaw
    But! The question is: "What's the illegal drug situation like in major russian cities? " We all have opions about whether one should or should not. Personal experiences too. I have mine: 30 years as a "user" (now "reformed"). But please - answer the question: what is the illegal drug situation like in major russian cities?" I have understood (from my wife) and read (on the BBC) that drug usage in Kaliningrad is at an all time high (no pun intended). If people are being arrested for drug dealing, or usage, then there is obviously usage. So what is the illegal drug situation in major russian cities - and I would add.... what is the illegal drug situation like in smaller towns / cities?
    I'd vouch for Ukraine, although I'd be really surprised if anything was much different in Russia.
    Big cities: all drugs sold 24/7 by gypsies. Of course the police is in on this. Does not mean that you won't get busted if you get caught. As a foreigner, you would be a particularly lucrative target for getting busted.
    One pretty heavy drug is sold over the counter in pharmacies completely legally

Small cities/villages: in Soviet times/early 90s recreational drug use (esp.pot) was way more common there compared to big ones. In Kiev, the majority of people in my high school class have never tried it (by the age of 16 at least, and my school was a common school on the outskirts of the city), but in my grandparents' town its use was pretty much universal. I'd suppose that the difference is still there but probably smaller than it used to be.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by laxxy
    I'd also venture to say that back home your family belongs to the "gnilaya intelligentsiya"
    yes, kinda. I went to direction of гнилая интеллегенция even futher, I believe.

Почтенный гражданин
    My brother said that in my city, soon after I left there appear some guys, who shared some type of heroin for free. After some time they start to charge for that. Looks like orginized work of Mafia.

Увлечённый спикер

Busted

This guy that is an American citizen from Connecticut, USA was totally busted a couple years ago, when the cops found some marijuana in his dorm while he was studying abroad in Russia. He claimed that it was his roomates. They showed some images of his court proceedings on TV- they had him handcuffed in a defendant's cage and he was remanded (not given bail) for a while before the hearings/ trial if memory serves me right. Ultimately he was convicted, and sent to a Russian correctional facility of some sort. After he did a small part of his several year sentence, the US Department of State and his congressman were able to negotiate the Russian Government that it would be a good idea to send him home. I have provided a link below:
    http://english.pravda.ru/usa/2001/08/06/11851.html

Подающий надежды оратор
    That guy should thank his lucky stars that he wasnt caught with drugs in Bankok, the penalties there are a lot more stiffer..........if you catch my drift what I am saying, I dont know if they still do it, but if you are caught with drugs in Bankok, the punishment could be machine gunned to death.
    PRIVET!
    kuk d'la hows it going dude?

Почтенный гражданин
    Ever seen Party Monster?

"I don't do drugs."
    "Neither do I, did you see that!? IT FLEW RIGHT UP MY NOSE!"
    I come to represent and carve my name within your chest.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmonsta
    That guy should thank his lucky stars that he wasnt caught with drugs in Bankok, the penalties there are a lot more stiffer..........if you catch my drift what I am saying, I dont know if they still do it, but if you are caught with drugs in Bankok, the punishment could be machine gunned to death.
    "Bankkok Hilton" - there was an Australian movie, I think that was the first big role of Nickol Kidman. I think the low enforcement is the same there. In Saudi Arabia and some other arab countries it is execution by decapitation for that.

Подающий надежды оратор

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by Pioner
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmonsta
    In Saudi Arabia and some other arab countries it is execution by decapitation for that.
    yeah...not too long ago we went to the saudi arabian embassy and they showed us a movie... complete propoganda...... so all of us were like, "Hey Saudi Arabia is a great country without human rights."
    Phantom Squirreleath by Acorns

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12