Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Russians steal as much as Americans?

Подающий надежды оратор

Do Russians steal as much as Americans?

This is a loaded question because there are many levels of theft so let me give you some background first.

I am in Korea (Busan) this week and while driving down the streets I noticed that people leave their carts, shoes, and even coke still in the bottles outside their shops and I asked the driver if these ever get stolen and he said sometimes yes, but it's not a bad problem otherwise they would not leave them outside.

Obviously I wouldn't do this in my hometown of Houston but it made me compare our culture with theirs and apparently, in this case, they are better.

My question is: will I find this kind of respect for personal property in Russia? Now I understand that crime changes depending on the area you are visiting but I can honestly say that in America (generally speaking) you don't have the same respect that you do in Korea and I am just looking for a general answer for the culture in Russia.

I also understand that another level of theft relates to that of Internet data such as .MP3 and pirated software. My question has nothing to do with this since I already know that answer; I just want to know about the respect for other peoples' personal (tangible) property.

Thanks!!

Если захотеть выразить одним словом то, что делается в России, то нужно сказать: "Воруют" сказал Н.М.Карамзин.

If you want to express what happens in Russia with a single word you should say 'Theft!' said Russian historian N.M. Karamzin.

Some Russians even went so far as to take pride in it saying that stealing is a national virtue.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Завсегдатай
    Even more than Americans. We even steal bridges - http://masterrussian.net/mforum/viewtopic.php?t=13607

Завсегдатай
    I remember :P When I was in Russia (Both in Moscow and probably Ryazan) A few times I almost got beat up by some Babushki vendors because I would try to take something off of a shelf and then pay for it.
    Big no no!

Unlike in america, in Russia you first say what you want, pay for it, then they press a button that unlocks a door (like for soda machines and stuff) and it will unlock for a few seconds so you can grab what you need and leave.

Even when the goods are in plane view of the vendor I think 99% of the time things are either electronically or manually locked.

I just couldn't break the habbit of paying before grabbing :P
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    I remember :P When I was in Russia (Both in Moscow and probably Ryazan) A few times I almost got beat up by some Babushki vendors because I would try to take something off of a shelf and then pay for it.
    Big no no!

Unlike in america, in Russia you first say what you want, pay for it, then they press a button that unlocks a door (like for soda machines and stuff) and it will unlock for a few seconds so you can grab what you need and leave.

Even when the goods are in plane view of the vendor I think 99% of the time things are either electronically or manually locked.

This doesn't prevent thievery.

Завсегдатай
    *sigh*

I never said it did... I was just sharing my experience.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

*sigh*

I never said it did... I was just sharing my experience.
    They steal wires from power lines, they steal railway cars, they steal gasoline from fuel tanks, they even steal bridges
    They steal everything. And even if drinks are locked in a fridge they will steal the whole fridge.

Завсегдатай
    Well, I didn't pay for a single drink the whole time, if you must know!

!just kidding!

Старший оракул
    i used to have a thing about stealing pint glasses from bars...
    when i lived in a dorm here someone stole the batteries out of my toothbrush and not even my logical thinking and comical anecdotes about my wife could solve the mystery
    Не откладывай на завтра того, с кем можешь переспать сегодня
    --------
    http://england-moscow.com/

Почтенный гражданин
    Big no no!

I didnt know that! Glad I do now otherwise I would have made the same faux pas when I go over there.
    More madness than method but it works for me.

Nothing ensures trust in a man better than advance payment.

Властелин
    Big no no!

I got caught out with that the first time I tried to buy a bottle of water in Russia. The display-fridge was on my side of the counter, so I just automatically tried to open it to take one out and pay for it like I do at home. Of course it was locked and on an electronic switch behind the couter. The three little women all started yelling at me, then took the p

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    The flip side was the first time my missus took her mum to a Brit supermarket and showed her that you can go buy your groceries without ever having to talk to a human being. Wandering around the store and loading up her trolley wasn't that alien to her, but the fact that she could then scan and pay for it all herself at the machines, and there were no barriers physically stopping you from making a bolt for it, and no-one checking that you were paying for everything, totally blew her mind.
    ... under the watchful eye of a dozen of store detectives with stun guns
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

Wandering around the store and loading up her trolley wasn't that alien to her, but the fact that she could then scan and pay for it all herself at the machines, and there were no barriers physically stopping you from making a bolt for it, and no-one checking that you were paying for everything, totally blew her mind.
    Is it theoretically possible to steal from such a store then?
    If so, then at least one of our countrymen has undoubtedly seized the moment at least once

Почтенный гражданин
    i know in italy... it is your fault if you get robbed. we view it as you being retarded, and hence asking for it. If you dont know how to protect yee booty, then it should be given to people who can protect it! Like if someone puts their purse on the table and look away... it would be morally wrong for you to not grab it. You must teach them a lesson so in the future they will know how not to be utterly stupid! (its how we justify it at least...)
    Io seeeiiiii che non posso parlare il russo come tu....

Da vero, sono Italiano!

Властелин
    There's one security guard by the door, but there are almost certainly plenty of CCTV cameras. I've no idea whether or not there's anyone watching them though, but on the other hand I wouldn't be willing to risk the embarrassment of getting arrested to find out.

I guess they must be pretty sure of their security, after all it's not like we're short of sticky-fingered chavs around here.

Почтенный гражданин
    oh.. and i am so sorry to offend, but americans are retarded! I have been here for a while... and i want all my italian brothers to come to america and take it to you people. I see every day people who leave the keys in the car and run inside a store with the doors open. It is so tempting to jump in! In italy, this car would be taken, painted, and sold!

So why are you americans retarted in this aspect????!

Da vero, sono Italiano!

There's one security guard by the door, but there are almost certainly plenty of CCTV cameras. I've no idea whether or not there's anyone watching them though, but on the other hand I wouldn't be willing to risk the embarrassment of getting arrested to find out.

I guess they must be pretty sure of their security, after all it's not like we're short of sticky-fingered chavs around here.
    So do I. Even if there's no visible protection, I'm sure such stores should have at least some security measures.

Quote Originally Posted by giovanni
    oh.. and i am so sorry to offend, but americans are retarded! I have been here for a while... and i want all my italian brothers to come to america and take it to you people. I see every day people who leave the keys in the car and run inside a store with the doors open. It is so tempting to jump in! In italy, this car would be taken, painted, and sold!

Don't jump to conclusions. The Americans leave their keys in the car hoping that in case it's stolen they'd get paid by an insurance company.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by giovanni

Don't jump to conclusions. The Americans leave their keys in the car hoping that in case it's stolen they'd get paid by an insurance company.
    ahahahahahahahaha!! its probably true too! i guess if it is a horrible car, they might do this. But i see people leaving nice nice cars just sit!

And how do you explain that to an ensurance company? "I just left the keys and hoped noone would take it"? I am sure your rate would go up for that...

Da vero, sono Italiano!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast