Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disgusting Food!!

Увлечённый спикер

Re: Disgusting Food!!

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna

So is there any seriously disgusting food in Russia? Food that foreigners (and some locals) can't stand...? Post some pictures! The worse the better!!! [/color]
    Food?
    Well, yestedi I wen out on the town, got plastered and blew my groceris
    Should I post up a pikche of the groceris? (those goceris are veri disgustin and gross )
    Jeez boy am I havin fun!!!

sorry couldn't help myself but you said the worse the better. Just got to my apartment from a hard days work.

PS: nothing beats Russian vodka if you wanna get wasted. 80 proof is no picknick in the park!!!
    Aint it a shame you cant say fu_ck?
    Fu_ck is just a word and it's all fu_cked up.

Подающий надежды оратор Cadenza's Avatar

I don't like пирожки с повидлом.

But i like холодец. It tastes good.

I believe I wrote about the Amish on the forum before and how I am close to Amish country here... so... scrapple is one of the things they make and sell around here that is just gross!

Scrapple (Pennsylvania Dutch) is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. It is similar to pon haus, which uses only the broth from cooked meat. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then panfried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste.

Scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other scraps, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned to the pot and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper, and others, are added. The mush is formed into loaves and allowed to cool thoroughly until set. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the cook's taste.
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Завсегдатай

I think that the winners in this thread so far are deep-fried Mars bar and (without a doubt) "czarnina"!
    kamka, is it popular??? Where can you get blood for it? Is it sold in the markets? Like, in jars?.. Scary.

On the other hand, some of the food mentioned here I'll eat without second thought. Some of it I even like. ))

Scrapple gets a vote. And sausages. Liverwurst. Blood sausages/pudding. All such disguised mystery meats ground up with lots of fat and artificial flavour enhancers and then hidden inside something. It's like some propaganda.

Сало будет смерть.

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    ...Where can you get blood for it? Is it sold in the markets? Like, in jars?.. Scary. ...
    You can buy this coagulated blood in asian stores. They make soup with it. I would not eat it.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Почётный участник

This website has some real winners: http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/
    Пожалуйста, исправляйте мои бесконечные ошибки!

Почётный участник

Also, I really wanted to hate сало, but unfortunately I kind of liked it. Now I just hate myself.
    Пожалуйста, исправляйте мои бесконечные ошибки!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    I don't mind jelly at all, it's that blue color what I wonder at. No natural ingredient can produce such a color.
    ramil... I gave up sodas about 7 years ago but every once in a while I will drink kool-aid (which I was NOT allowed to have a kid) and my favorite one is Ice Blue Raspberry Lemonade.. I doooooo love the color of it!

I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Quote Originally Posted by почемучка
    This website has some real winners: http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/
    OMG. I actually had the guts to browse several pages. I think I'm going to stick to vegetables for the next several days.
    About сало (basically - pig's fat). It can be quite delicious but I can't eat it without vodka. Ethanol dissolves fat and fat neutralizes alcohol - you can even call this healthy.

Isn't it just beautiful? And you should consume all that having only just returned from the freezing outside:

@rockzmom, well, even there are such natural things that can make food blue I might reconsider, but still I'm not sure whether such ingridiends were used in some blue stuff or was it copper sulphate instead
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Почётный участник

Looking at all that food made me hungry. I'm not very sure about that rotten herring thing. I probably wouldn't eat that. But the rest looks great

Почётный участник

Oh and i'm not very intrieged with that jelly. It looks more like some sort of a childrens plastic toy. Especially this one

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka
    kamka, is it popular??? Where can you get blood for it? Is it sold in the markets? Like, in jars?.. Scary.
    no, it's not very popular anymore, I think it's because of the fact people have become more conscious of what they eat. As for the blood, it's not really sold in the markets, as far as I know. At least I've never seen it :P It's usually bought from the people who live in the countryside and have their own animals.

Почтенный гражданин

Interesting thread. Though i'm not sure I know any food that's really disgusting. Mainly because I'm very wary when it comes to food and just never try anything I don't like the look of. I'm no fun of "сало" (lard?) -- just don't eat it. But in fact, I've never even tried it. There's a moment in the film "Ballad of a soldier" where the main heroine eats it -- a huge chunk of it, I thought it looked kinda disgusting. But perhapr when you're really hungry...

Regarding some other stuff mentioned here --

"холодец" -- don't eat it but don't think it's exactly disgusting.

"селедка/сельдь под шубой"/dressed herring (literally: herring under a furcoat) -- don't eat the herring part, adore the "шуба"/dressing part (the combination of boiled grated beetroot with mayonnaise. Yum.
    http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A1%...B1%D0%BE%D0%B9

"noodles in milk" (or whatever you call it) -- like it. Simple sweet dish, it just should be done properly or the nasty milk parts should be removed.

There is one Japanese thingy which I haven't tried but the description of it sounds really strange -- natto

Nattō is a traditional Japanese food made from soybeans fermented with Bacillus subtilis. It is popular especially as a breakfast food. As a rich source of protein, nattō and the soybean paste miso formed a vital source of nutrition in feudal Japan. Nattō can be an acquired taste because of its powerful smell, strong flavor, and slippery texture.
    Alice: One can't believe impossible things.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna

So is there any seriously disgusting food in Russia? Food that foreigners (and some locals) can't stand...? Post some pictures! The worse the better!!!

I'm too lazy to read this topic or check to see if anyone mentioned it, but, KEFIR.

It is literally rotten milk. Smells like an @$$ and tastes even worse. Its thick like melting ice cream and goes down like glue. Yet Russians gulp this semen like substance like its going extinct.

It is literally the most disgusting thing in the world... I don't even understand why they waste their money on it?? Just don't throw away old milk... Its the same thing!!

Its like if wearing dirty underwear came into style and everyone was spending boatloads of money on dirty underwear... WHY? JUST WEAR YOUR OWN FOR FREE. Thats literally how toxic this 'drink' is.

http://www.freewebs.com/dailywalkinfarm ... %20jar.jpg

I think i just barfed in my mouth. My girlfriend LOVES to get a mouthful of this vile substance while I'm busy playing video games or binge drinking (basically distracted) pretend like she wants to kiss me and then spit it in my mouth. She seems to get a real kick out of it.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna
    So is there any seriously disgusting food in Russia? Food that foreigners (and some locals) can't stand...? Post some pictures! The worse the better!!!
    The worse the better? You sure? Then I'll tell you!
    The devilish thing you're about to see, is called kalle pache, which literally means "head and hooves" in Persian. Head and hooves of sheep, that is. And that's not all that is to it: to make it look more hideous, people usually serve a nice dish of the poor sheep's eyes, brain, etc. along with it.
    If you have heart problems, DO NOT continue reading this. If you understand the risk, then take a deep breath, be sure to have a plastic bag near you for emergency purposes, and now...click here.
    I have to make it clear that Iranian cuisine is not in the least that dreadful. I guess this mouth-watering meal has emerged from the troubled mind of some wretched shepherd who wanted to prove that no part of a sheep's body is useless.
    You won't believe this, but some people eat it like it's just descended from heaven. And if you're not throwing up yet, just imagine having that thing for breakfast.
    I've tried it only once, and it was out of absolute madness. I won't do it again if my life depended on it. I just won't. Don't push it.
    "If in the end, Misha, you are destined to lose this game, there is no need for the reason to be cowardice!"

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    I'm too lazy to read this topic or check to see if anyone mentioned it, but, KEFIR.

It is literally rotten milk.
    It's rotten milk as cheese is bull dung just because they both on some stage were processed using ferments found in cow stomach.
    And - not Russian food - but nevertheless http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamprey#Uses
    Russian is tough, let’s go shopping!

Завсегдатай

I didn't know it wasn't Russian, I've just never seen it anywhere besides Russia (and CIS countries). I'm not a fan of cheese either :P
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Почтенный гражданин

I'm surprised no one mentioned some of these - rocky mountain oysters http://blog.rifftrax.com/wp-content/photos/Oysters1.jpg which yeah, if you don't know, are basically bull testicles; pickled pig's feet (though maybe russians have something like this as i know they taught us all how to pickle things yeah) http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...KYWdlgfurZyMCQ ; actually my dad used to make a soup out of those feet.. =)
    luck/life/kidkboom
    Грязные башмаки располагают к осмотрительности в выборе дороги. /*/ Muddy boots choose their roads with wisdom. ;

Hanna

It's rotten milk as cheese is bull dung just because they both on some stage were processed using ferments found in cow stomach.And - not Russian food
    Wow, I ate lots of that when I was a kid. It's quite popular in Scandinavia; we have something similar ("fil"), and kefir for us is an exotic variation on that. But I had no idea it was "processed using fements found in the cows stomach".

But what are you talking about, of course kefir is Russian!
    If not, it is the victim of seriously misleading marketing:

Note onion dome churches on the package

Note that it says (in Swedish) "Den ryska filen" (=Russian soured milk)

Russian-looking person on the carton of Norwegian kefir:

I think Yoghurt is more healthy though!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    My girlfriend LOVES to get a mouthful of this vile substance while I'm busy playing video games or binge drinking (basically distracted) pretend like she wants to kiss me and then spit it in my mouth. She seems to get a real kick out of it.
    Haha, I am beginning to like this woman.... Just the right person for you Dogboy!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast