Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Different Nationalities

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by russkayalove
    Even though Mongolia has a small population, atleast half of this population is Muslim, and the rest of the population consists of vaious religions, which I'm sure Buddhism is included in. By the way, I double checked this in my world religions texbook from last sememster.....no, I actually did not remember off the top of my head .
    So much for American (mis)education :P.

The majority of Mogolians traditionally have been Buddists (Lamaists). Muslims are a small minority (mostly Kazakhs and other Turkish minorities).

Now, it may be true that Moslems are much more active religion-wise than Buddhists (many of the latter went atheists during the Communist rule), but they still are a minority. So you can throw away your textbook .

Check this link, for example: http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?f ... CID+mn0076)

Only about 4% of Monglian population are Muslims.

Почтенный гражданин
    Yes Kaliningrad is Russian aswell
    Листьев не обожгло, Веток не обломало
    День промыт как стекло, только этого мало

Почтенный гражданин russkayalove's Avatar
    Hey, don't crack on American education! I actually really feel that I learned allot in that class, but it sucks that my textbook was wrong!!! It makes me wonder what else it is wrong about Its called Living Religions (5th ed.) by Mary Pat Fisher. Oh yea, what is really strange is the texbook doesn't specifially say that Buddhism thrives anywhere in Mongolia. It just sais that Mongilia is a mix of Muslim and other various religions.

Почётный участник
    She looks average...not that hot.

Почтенный гражданин
    http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/fac ... os/mg.html

Theres some info on mongolia. 4 percent as stated before. World factbook has some pretty good info on every country if you are looking for some quick stats, background info, etc

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    A year or two ago about six Mongolian herdsmen came out to Nevada on some tour to discover the similarities between them and cowboys. They went to Elko. They were supposed to come out to where me and my crew were camped at, Summers Flats on the Owyhee River, north of Tuscarora . We were looking forward to the entertainment but they never showed up because the guy in charge of them decided that the track that led to us was too difficult for his pansy ass to navigate.
    http://boojum.com/photographs.html
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Почтенный гражданин
    I thought you were going to say that they were coming to look at the similarities between them and indians (native american) which also have some striking similarities. All the people in Buryatia and Mongolia would talk about their connections with indians and how they came over the Berring strait so long ago. Cant imagine that the mongolian people wouldnt be able to navigate the passes to get to you. Their roads are so terrible its not even funny. 10 miles outside of Ulan Bator and you go offroading the rest of the way through the whole country following the last cars tire tracks until you get to a town, which will be lucky to have a paved road.

Завсегдатай
    He obviously meant their American guide, not the Mongolian themselves .

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by translations.nm.ru
    He obviously meant their American guide, not the Mongolian themselves .
    yeah that makes more sense now that i think about it

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    No I did not mean the Mongolians, they are pretty hardy. An photographer friend of mine showed me her photos taken of Mongolian herdsmen, she stayed with them for a while. I found an article on her and her book on Buckaroos, "Gathering Remnants". Can't find any photos of Mongolians there but you will see photos of my ex co-workers.
    http://www.photographic.com/phototechniques/0603career/
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12