Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cooking -International Recipe Exchange- Come on Take a look!

Почётный участник

Re: Cooking -International Recipe Exchange- Come on Take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by rockzmom
    devochka. Thanks, you taught me something today! I had never heard of Fries or Friesland!
    Your thoughts about the name of the apple cake are a good possibility. I also found this on Wiki and maybe it might help explain as well. Also remember we are talking about pre 1900 here as Nana was born in 1903.

High German
    Main article: High German languages
    High German is divided into Central German and Upper German. Central German dialects include Ripuarian, Moselle Franconian, Rhine Franconian, Central Hessian, East Hessian, Lower Hessian, Thuringian, Silesian, High Franconian, Lorraine Franconian, Mittelalemannisch, North Upper Saxon, High Prussian, South Markish and Upper Saxon. It is spoken in the southeastern Netherlands, eastern Belgium, Luxembourg, parts of France, and in Germany approximately between the River Main and the southern edge of the Lowlands. Modern Standard German is mostly based on Central German, but it should be noted that the common (but not linguistically correct) German term for modern Standard German is Hochdeutsch, that is, High German
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_language

Quote Originally Posted by devochka
    What are scratch and sniff photos?
    Ah.. it was sort of a joke since it won't work here on the internet... but a scratch and sniff photo is one that has the smell of whatever it is that you are looking at. They use it a lot here with say, air fresheners so you will know the fragrance of it before you buy it. They do it with other things as well. You use your fingernail to scratch a little patch on the container and then you can sniff it to smell the fragrance. So I was teasing you about sending a photo that we could smell your wonderful waffles!
    The Netherlands in its current state (with its current borders) exists since 1830, when Belgium became independant (there were some issues with the provinces of Limburg and Luxemburg so it actually took until about 1866 but I won't bore you with those details). Even before that, the Netherlands were a proud state were Dutch was spoken.
    But you have to take in consideration that Dutch and German are part of the same language family. And indeed, there are Dutch dialects that resemble German a lot. Also, the Netherlands and Germany share a border, so it is only natural that there are Germans who moved to the Netherlands while keeping their native language.
    So in conclusion: there are people speaking a dialect very similar to German and there are (of course) people who actually speak German but as far as I know it hasn't been an official language in the past 200 years. Before that I'm a bit iffy on what the official languages were.

I hope I didn't bore you to death with this post. If so, sorry and I hope someone in your vicinity knows CPR...

Wouldn't it be grand if we could send those pictures over the internet? I've always imagined commercials on tv with smell .

Mieke

Quote Originally Posted by devochka
    I never heard of Bohemian Wafers or Angelique before. Couldn't find any pictures either, so if you would happen to have any, I'd love to see them.
    devochka, from reading Nana's recipe for the Angelique, it appears to be what I would call a "jelly roll" or "swiss jelly roll" and I think it would look something like this (except I think this photo has powdered sugar on the outside of the cake and not coconut flakes):

These "roll cakes" can be made in a number of ways. I remember my mom making them with the before discussed "whipped cream" and fresh strawberries and it looked like this one... except my mom would cover the entire outside with the whipped cream!!!

If you notice the difference between the thickness of the two cakes.... the first one is thinner than the second and I think that is how my Nana's is supposed to be as she said it is "delicate" and it is a "jelly" filled one and not a cream filled.

When rolling the cake, follow the directions about using the towel to roll the cake. You use the towel to not only help you controll rolling the cake, but it will also help take the moisture out of the cake.

Here is a link about how to make and roll a jelly cake and it has photos:
    http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-...0400000029233/

That reminds me, strawberry season starts in late May/early June here... we will have to go pick some strawberries! This is the place we go to pick fruit that is not too far from us.
    http://www.pickyourown.com/harvest.html
    I only speak two languages, English and bad English.
    Check out the MasterRussian Music Playlist
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Почётный участник

Aah, now I know what "Angelique" is. I don't know how I would call it.

But now, as promised, my recipe for waffles.

1/2 kg of potatoes
    1/2 kg of flour
    1/2 kg of white sugar
    3 eggs
    10 gr of vanilla sugar
    10 gr of baking powder
    325 gr of butter (not the kind you put on your bread but the kind you bake with)
    about 100 ml of (olive)oil

- Cook the potatoes and mash them
    - Add butter and oil
    - Add eggs, flour, baking powder, sugar and vanilla sugar gradually and mix

Start baking .

devochka,

I never would have thought to put potatoes in waffles! This sound soooooo good I might have to try it over our long weekend here. I normally HATE our American pancakes and waffles; but, with potatoes, I just might enjoy them.

I have great news! My mother has found a stash of some of Nana's recipes!

Some of them are:
    Cream Puffs (my favorite)
    Napoleon Puff Pastry and the Cream Filling for it
    Kugel
    Almond Sugar Cookies
    Coffee Cake
    Thumbprint Jams
    and several others....

She had trouble scanning them and will try to bring them over to me this weekend. I will most likely retype them so you all won't have to try and read Nana's handwriting!

I also sent my sister an email to see if she has any other Nana recipes.

So, who is next to be brave and post a recipe???
    Click here for list of Russian films with English subtitles and links to watch them.

Почтенный гражданин

The other day I recalled the творожный пудинг I first had at МГУ. I think I'd like to try to make it. I found a recipe and have posted both it and an English translation here. The translation of «на умеренном огне» bugs me a bit. Does it mean “at a moderate temperature”?

lae
    Почётный участник

Quote Originally Posted by doninphxaz
    The translation of «на умеренном огне» bugs me a bit. Does it mean “at a moderate temperature”?
    Maybe, "bake with a moderate fire"? It's a common translation of "выпекать на умеренном огне"? I don't know, what does "a moderate temperature" mean and is it the same as "a moderate fire"?
    Please correct any mistake you see in my message. Thank you in advance!
    Очень прошу исправлять любые мои ошибки (и на русском тоже). Заранее спасибо!

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by lae
    The translation of «на умеренном огне» bugs me a bit. Does it mean “at a moderate temperature”?
    Maybe, "bake with a moderate fire"? It's a common translation of "выпекать на умеренном огне"? I don't know, what does "a moderate temperature" mean and is it the same as "a moderate fire"?
    «A moderate fire» doesn't make any sense to me in terms of oven cooking, although I think I recall reading it in older recipes. In most recipes we state a specific temperature, so the phrase gives me no idea how hot the oven should be. Hm. I wonder if any of my cookbooks would tell me? I'll have to look.

lae
    Почётный участник

«A moderate fire» doesn't make any sense to me
    Quote Originally Posted by [url
    http://www.nashimamashi.ru/commun.php?act=stc&tid=3357&pageli=56[/url]]
    150-170 градусов - это малый огонь,
    180-200 - умеренный,
    более 220 - сильный огонь...
    Therefore "a moderate fire" is approximately from 355°F to 390°F
    Please correct any mistake you see in my message. Thank you in advance!
    Очень прошу исправлять любые мои ошибки (и на русском тоже). Заранее спасибо!

Почтенный гражданин

I just found a temperature conversion chart in “The Joy of Cooking,” which is one of the classic American cookbooks. It says that a “moderate oven” is 350°-375°F. That's pretty close to what Lae found. Thanks, Lae!

«A moderate fire» doesn't make any sense to me in terms of oven cooking, although I think I recall reading it in older recipes. In most recipes we state a specific temperature, so the phrase gives me no idea how hot the oven should be. Hm. I wonder if any of my cookbooks would tell me? I'll have to look.
    Usually it implies gas cooker and a kind of medium position of the switcher. In my not-so-old gas cooker ("Gorenje", Slovakian?) oven also use gas fire and the scale of oven's switch is graded from 0 to 8 without speciying temperature. And there is no thermometer inside. Maybe temperature is specified in the manual but i have never read it. So this way seems to me very natural.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

The other day I recalled the творожный пудинг I first had at МГУ. I think I'd like to try to make it. I found a recipe and have posted both it and an English translation here. The translation of «на умеренном огне» bugs me a bit. Does it mean “at a moderate temperature”?
    Just for those newbies to Russian or Non-Russian speakers (that would probably only be me ) this is a recipe for Russian cheese cake!

It calls for "Farmers Cheese" and I know that around here (Maryand, DC, Virginia, Pennsylvania) the best place to find that is at the local weekend markets like Amish Markets or Co-Ops.

Thanks for posting this and for everyone for finding out the meaning of moderate fire!

I just found a temperature conversion chart in “The Joy of Cooking,” which is one of the classic American cookbooks.
    Yes, this is a CLASSIC cookbook. I think "young people" no longer want this book as it is too "old fashioned," they no longer want to spend the time actually cooking, and of course it uses "butter" and other things that are now taboo.

It is for this same reason, just plain simple good old fashion recipes, that I like the Marcia Adams series. In her book, "Cooking from Quilt Country" she has an introduction about ingredients and a paragraph about shortenings, lard in particular, and this great quote at the very end:
    If a recipe says "lard," that means use lard, please!

Почтенный гражданин

Just for those newbies to Russian or Non-Russian speakers (that would probably only be me ) this is a recipe for Russian cheese cake!
    I should point out that this "Russian cheese cake" is not nearly as sweet, say, as New York style deli cheese cake. I really liked it, though. I look forward to trying it and adjusting the recipe for my American kitchen.

I should point out that this "Russian cheese cake" is not nearly as sweet, say, as New York style deli cheese cake. I really liked it, though. I look forward to trying it and adjusting the recipe for my American kitchen.
    Thanks for clarifying that Don!

Would you be kind enough to take a photo of your finished culinary endeavors and also let us know if it tastes as good, better or at least close to what you remember?

Hey, I remember on the one trip I took to Germany having Black Forest Cake from this little pastry shop that was so good, I went back for a second piece! The shop keeper could not believe it! Actually most of the places our school group stayed at and visited "loved" me beacuse I was the only one who would eat and ask for more. I would get these big smiles for the servers as I appreciated their rich food while the other girls barely touched it. As I was used to swimming twice a day anywhere from 2-5 miles and doing 500-1,000 situps a day, I could afford to eat, unlike the other selfconscious teenage girls on our trip.

So, does anyone have a "family" recipe for Black Forest Cake? One that their mother's or grandmother's have passed down to them?

Actually, baking is something really awesome to me. My courage may be enough to prepare some beverage at most. Being in Sri-Lanka I've tasted a specific tea beverage which has a very rich taste. Recipe is approximately as follows:

Take some boiling water
    Add tea leaves (1 teaspoon per cup)
    Boil the leaves for about 2 to 5 minutes (the boiling process should be slow)
    After boiling add milk powder (1 or 2 teaspoon per cup)
    Finally add sugar (1 or 2 teaspoon per cup).

Lankians use finest broken leaves instead of long leaves to make the taste more rich. Using the powder milk instead of the liquid one is also intended to dense the taste. Be careful, do not boil the tea leaves more than 5 minutes, in this case the tea leaves are able to issue some harming ingredients.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup
    Actually, baking is something really awesome to me. My courage may be enough to prepare some beverage at most.
    CoffeeCup! We are going to have to temp you to try one of the recipes on here! And since none of us can see you cooking or taste the final product... who cares how it turns out! You need to try!!!!

Being in Sri-Lanka I've tasted a specific tea beverage which has a very rich taste.
    Have you ever tried Thai Iced Tea? Depending upon who makes it contains the cream, coconut milk or condensed milk (like the one you wrote about), yet it is cold and has spices in the black tea.
    Here is a photo of what it looks like (this one has a LOT of cream; yet you can see the orangish color of the tea starting to spread into the cream.):

Here is a LONG step-by-step video I found about how to make it and with a little discussion in the comment section about what to to top off the tea.

I actually tried to make this once at home, and he is not kidding about the color of the tea staining things! Ohhhhh, it can stain something in about 2 seconds if you are not careful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o550mqREtDU

Oh the weather outside is frightful,
    But the fire is so delightful,
    And since we've no place to go,
    Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
    I can't even think of combining tea or coffee with ice. Such a thought would freeze my mind immediately. A cup of a warm haven blessed drink has the only aim to warm your heart. The ice kills the soul of the drink. Even when it's hot or when I go to a place where people have never heard of snow my mind can not forget about the soul of the heart guarding drink.

By the way, the view of the leveled drink is really charming. But it always raises a question to me: How should I drink it? Start from the top or from the bottom using a straw? Or maybe I should mix the levels before drinking? Such a drink should be served with a manual "How to get the taste the cooker conceived".
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Почтенный гражданин

I made my first attempt at творожный пудинг this evening. Details here. Turned out okay. Sorry, Rockzmom, no picture tonight. Maybe next attempt.

The ice kills the soul of the drink. Even when it's hot or when I go to a place where people have never heard of snow my mind can not forget about the soul of the heart guarding drink.
    CoffeeCup,
    Personally, when you write in the style like you did, the words you chose to express yourself, you warmed my soul!

I made my first attempt at творожный пудинг this evening. Turned out okay. Sorry, Rockzmom, no picture tonight. Maybe next attempt.
    Don, I am VERY impressed, you are a "Master" cullinary chef! YOU should have started this thread long ago!!!

Почтенный гражданин

Don, I am VERY impressed, you are a "Master" cullinary chef! YOU should have started this thread long ago!!!
    You are very kind, but I'm really an amateur. This last year I decided I needed to work on, among other things, my cooking skills, and I decided to start some container gardening on my patio. Now I have peppermint, chives, two types of basil, three tomato plants, a recently sprouted chiltepín, though God only knows if it'll survive, sweet marjoram, rosemary, and a newly purchased blackberry bush, that at this stage is just one stem. Oh, and an aloe vera plant. The latter is the only non-edible. Everything else is grown for consumption.

... two types of basil, three tomato plants, a recently sprouted chiltepín, though God only knows if it'll survive, sweet marjoram, rosemary, and a newly purchased blackberry bush, that at this stage is just one stem. Oh, and an aloe vera plant. The latter is the only non-edible. Everything else is grown for consumption.
    BASIL?!?!?! Do you have a great recipe for Pesto? Have you ever made it? A few people I have mentioned pesto to on MR have never heard of it and I buy it at the store already made and then add cream, cheese & butter to it and use it for pasta. I can help with turning it into the cream sauce, if you can help with making the actual "Pesto" part.

The aloe plant is great to have around for burns!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast